How to create a list of links for Interlinking

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image52
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

This describes how to develop a list of links for all your hubs in excel that you can filter to create a list to be added to a text capsule (Related Articles). See image below

Open my account ( statistics)
    Start swiping in the top left corner - go right across the page and right down to the bottom
    Press copy
    Paste it into a new excel worksheet
    Delete all the columns apart from the one with the links
    Save.
    Now apply auto filter to the worksheet - depends on the version you are using (google it or use help)
    This adds a down arrow to the column
    To filter click on the button for the column containing the links
    Select 'custom'
    Select 'contains'
    Enter your key word - say 'shark'
    This will display all the links with 'shark' in the title.
    To copy the list put the cursor somewhere away from the links and swipe - the links are hot and if you click on them it will open up the page (good for editing)

You now have a spreadsheet with all your links in order (don't sort the list) they were published. To display all of them again filter with the word '  ' ie a space.

You only have to do this once. As you publish new ones simply copy just the link on the stats page and paste it at the bottom of the excel list.

After filtering using excel and copying - Paste the selection of links copied from excel into a new word document
    It will appear as a table.
    You now need to convert the table to text with paragraph marks. This depends on the version of word you are using ( search under help or google it).
    You now have a list of links in a word document - edit out the ones you don't want or reduce their number.

Create a new text capsule in HP with the heading "Related Articles about Snakes"  or similar.
    Paste the links into the capsule. Swipe to highlight all of them - click 'Bold' and Save

That's it.

What I normally do is to click the right arrow button (float right) and then edit again to add a grey or color background. The list then appears down the right side of the page.

Done.

When I create a new hub and produce a list I also add a series of links on the old pages to the new one. Copy the link from the statistics page (my account) paste it into excel. and leave it copied. To add links from old pages to the new page - click on one of the related links - open up the page to edit, then open up the capsule with the list of links in it and paste in the new one. Make it bold and save - you my have to fiddle with the layout - saving it twice seems to fix it. Repeat for 5-10 old pages that are relevant.

Done you have interlinking completed.

PS - The best links are within the text as shown below. This option is for hubbers with large numbers of hubs
    EXAMPLE

http://www.a1niches.com/related.jpg

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

This is great J, thanks!

I would also be interested to know how you made that screen shot snippet appear so big. Whenever I try to do that it turns out tiny when I post it sad

janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What you need to do is to generate the image, edit it, save it. Then you need to upload it to a website. Then you use the image html described under formating
      [img]http://URLyoursite.com/yourimage.jpg[/img xxxxx]

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

Very interesting, and useful, but wouldn't it be easier to find things by simply alpha-sorting the list by title within Excel, instead of having to go through all the "filter/find" steps?    It would be for me....

janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you mean alphabetical sorting then this will not produce what you want.

recipe for cheese salad
      how to make pasta - simple recipes
      A good way to find gold
      A recipe for homemade soap
      Best vacation ideas
      Making Hay while the sunshines

What you want for related links for recipes is to filter for all titles that contain the keyword 'recipe'
      i.e.
      recipe for cheese salad
      how to make pasta - simple recipes
      A recipe for homemade soap

PS I deliberately don't sort the list because I want to retain them in order published.  I actually hate excel - I'm sure there are many whiz-bang other ways of doing it.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm... well, in spite of the number of Hubs I've published, I pretty much retain a good idea of what I wrote and what the title is....so I think, for me, alphabetical sort would work...my eye is quick enough to scan and find what I'm looking for.
        Alternately, perhaps you could sort from the Groups list...then, you'd already have your categories, and easily find things.  From there, it's easy enough to re-sort your list by title on your Hubs listing page, and pick up the links you want, then put it back to the default sort.
        For me, I would not particularly care when I published the article for this particular purpose, so that value would not be useful to me.
        At any rate, you explained all the steps very well, and I appreciate your sharing your tips--it got me thinking--and that's always a good thing.
        Cheers!

4. Johnny Parker profile image70
    Johnny Parkerposted 11 years ago

This looks a great idea but would it adversly affect Google rankings (not that I've got any to worry about!). I'm no SEO expert but I thought I read somewhere that the more recent Google changes took a dim view of pages with a lot of links.

Also, I may be completely wrong (again) but isn't there some kind of HP restriction of two links per page?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)