jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

If I edit press images of a product, do the images count as mine?

1. Distant Mind profile image90
    Distant Mindposted 3 years ago

I'm asking this for proper attribution purposes.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It depends on the original copyright. Some copyrights allow you to change images - others do not.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

If the work is copyrighted, that copyright extends to any recognizable derivative works.

So: no.

1. Distant Mind profile image90
      Distant Mindposted 3 years ago in reply to this

First of all, thank you guys for taking the time to answer.

So what you said includes editing something from Wikipedia, right? My problem is I don't know how to attribute such images. Let's say I took two images of two devices that I want to compare. I need to attribute them with two links or what?

1. classicalgeek profile image89
        classicalgeekposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Since I don't know what country you are in, and copyright laws differ from country to country, your best bet if you are in the USA is to use a service like LegalShield and get them to write you a generic letter that you can send to people asking them the right questions. Or spend the bucks and talk it over with an intellectual property lawyer.

If you really want to save money, find a lawyer who likes to drink, take them out on the town, and buy them a drink for every three ways they can think of to sue you. That's what I did, and 40 drinks (plus two of my own) and a taxi ride later, I am pretty sure I am well protected!

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

First, ALL photos are copyright unless there's a statement saying otherwise.  You can't get around copyright by making changes to a photo, it's still illegal to use it.

All Wikipedia photos are licensed for re-use in some way.  All you have to do is read the statement on the photo page, which explains whether and how you have to attribute the photographer.  Some may be public domain, some will require you to credit the photographer.