jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

commercial link to outside source in a comment

1. mary615 profile image93
    mary615posted 3 years ago

I am seeing more links to an outside commercial link in my comments section.  Their business will be a related one to the Hub I wrote.  When I check the profile:  The Hubber has maybe one Hub written about their business, a couple have not written even one Hub.  In other words, they are looking for readers to click on their link to their own business.
    This is something new to me.  Right now, I just delete the comment.
    What would you do????

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I have left two or three, out of the hundreds of comments to my hubs, that I thought a reader could well be interested in AND that did not compete with any amazon links I provide.

In other words, I want no competition on my own hubs, but after that it is a matter of what is best for the reader.  I don't leave many, as you can imagine.

2. moonlake profile image88
      moonlakeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I delete. I deleted two of them yesterday they're not interested in your hub and they are going to take traffic off of HubPages by viewers going to their sites. You get paid for the clicks on your ads but you don't get paid for clicks on their ads.

2. thooghun profile image87
    thooghunposted 3 years ago

If the comment is both pertinent and altruistic in nature (I.E the person left a genuine comment after having read the article), then I will usually let it slide due to the fact that our purposes are symbiotic.

Brazen attempts at leeching juice from my efforts get backhanded into the spam can wastelands.

3. xstatic profile image60
    xstaticposted 3 years ago

If I see a comment like that, check the profile as you did  and find no hubs, I delete the comment. I think we need to keep "ad" comments  to a minimum.

1. tillsontitan profile image91
      tillsontitanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree that commercial links have no place on HubPages forums.  This is our space to share and "stretch our legs"....I think they should be deleted ESPECIALLY when they are not even hubbers!  You've gotten a lot of good and sensible answers here Mary.

4. Gypsy Rose Lee profile image63
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 3 years ago

I agree that "ad" related comment from which we can gain no benefit and especially if there are no hubs involved should be deleted.

5. cloverleaffarm profile image80
    cloverleaffarmposted 3 years ago

This has happened to me a few times. I delete them, and mark them as spam. These folks are obviously not really part of the "community", and are just looking to get links out there.

1. mary615 profile image93
      mary615posted 3 years ago in reply to this

My idea is that these people just join HP to obtain business for themselves.  The one I mentioned had written one Hub, the others had not written anything.
      Thanks for your input, I will continue to delete the comment.

6. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 3 years ago

I delete almost all comments that contain links.  The only ones I keep are the ones that are to a site that does not seem related to the commenter - well known sites - and only when it can help a reader.

7. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 3 years ago

If I get a comment from an outside reader (not HP member) and they left an insightful comment along with a related link, I may leave the comment. I do not allow hubbers to leave links in my comments as that is only for promotional purposes and sometimes affect how Google sees you hubs. We must remember that comments are crawled as a part of our content.

8. Marketing Merit profile image81
    Marketing Meritposted 3 years ago

I delete any comments with a link in them.
    Genuine Hubbers who comment, get a link back to their profile page anyway, via their name and I think that this is adequate.

1. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Me too.

9. mary615 profile image93
    mary615posted 3 years ago

Well, this was a first!  HubPages spam filter did a good job here.  I checked my spam folder, and there was an outsider who listed at least 50 web addresses.  I got rid of that fast!
    I don't always remember to check that spam folder, so this was a good reminder for me to do that every day.