Anyone else being hassled because of supposed "unrelated ads"

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Bendo13 profile image77
    Bendo13posted 11 years ago

I've gotten two emails about the same hub, which of course was one of my holiday hubs - the hubs that helped build up most of my following on here.

It was about the first flights between the Hawaiian islands, and the content talked about airplanes, airports, Hawaii... and the picture had a hang glider in it and the video I created was me at a place where hang gliders jump off in Pennsylvania.

First they didn't like the hang glider and Pennsylvania ads, because they could care less what content was in my video that I created just for that hub, so I changed it to ads about airplanes and airports.

Then they unpublished it and said how dare you have an ad about a toy plane... gee, let's think about who my biggest demographic is.  Maybe mothers who watch my videos with their children?  Could it be that a holiday about the first commercial flights between the Hawaiian islands might cause a mother to buy her kid a toy plane to celebrate the holiday?

So, I took all the ads off the hub, including Google's ads, because I don't want to be hassled like that when they could have read the content and considered why I would have an ad like that, and then STILL have them expect to earn money off my work.

This is why I'm slowly working toward taking all 365 of my holiday hubs off this site.  We'll see if they let it be republished and what they have to say about that.

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Personally. I reckon that, unless someone is specially coming from the SERP's with the thought of looking to buy a product of some kind, you should not have affiliate ads on the page at all. But then I am probably a lot more paranoid about Panda than most people.

Bendo13posted 11 years agoin reply to this

They were just Amazon ads, in the ad capsule.

2. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Someone had to remove a Kindle as not related. What kind of hub would be Kindle related other than product hub?

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

I swear to God above, one time someone who never bothered to tell me who they were on HP staff told me my amazon ads were unrelated...and so I took them off.

When the hub was republished, I put the exact same ads back on the thing after waiting a day...end of problem.

1. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have got to be kidding. What is happening with the Amazon ads? I just put one on a hub, but it is a product hub.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't mean to be all negative here...but my honest opinion is that sometimes moderators get to where they just want to harass someone....then, after one pretends to jump through some hoops for a short while...they leave that person alone and find someone else to bother.

If you really want to be bothered by staff here....write about guns...shotgun or handgun reviews...oh they'll really bother you then.

I had one onetime where they told me that amazon's rifle scopes were unrelated ads to my hub about hunting with a specific shotgun.

true story.

On the other side...this is the best site I know of for doing what I do....

I don't think most of the people reviewing our hubs are qualified to do so.  And I think, from here on out, every time they try to make me jump through hoops like that they will lose my ad money from that hub.

HubPages needs us to keep writing in order to make money off of us, and if they're going to make it harder to write on here without a bunch of hassles then why keep lining their pockets?

I don't really play around with them too much now.

I've had hubs get five thousand page views....and THEN moderators find something "wrong" with it...I just copy/paste it somewhere else.

I've got around 250 pages here...but I've probably had well over three hundred...the others I just put somewhere else.

Thing is...this is the site I actually make some sort of money from smile

2. That Grrl profile image73
          That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I dared to write about erotica writers. You think guns got their attention.... I ended up unpublishing a third time before giving up.

SWEET!

2. Bendo13 profile image77

Wonder what would happen if you wrote about erotica gun fights.

4. tussin profile image58
    tussinposted 11 years ago

Link to books related to the topic of your hub.  HP seems not to get up people's a$$e$ about that.

If you are writing an educational page, books on the subject are one of the few products likely to be relevant.

I certainly think its a stretch to see toy airplanes as relevant to a page about  "the first flights between the Hawaiian islands".

The ads on my holiday pages give people ways to celebrate the holiday.  My biggest demographic is mothers, who often watched my videos with their kids.

Would you buy a kid a history book on planes to celebrate or a toy plane?  I would say it's relevant to the type of reader who would be on that page.  And I did have books on Hawaii and airports as well.  But most people who celebrate holidays, random or not, don't buy a book about airports to celebrate.

1. tussin profile image58
          tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They might not buy the book, but they might enter Amazon through your link and buy $1000 worth of legos.

And if HubPages ran Amazon they'd say, NOPE!  That's an unrelated sale, you don't get that money.

1. tussin profile image58
              tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But Hubpages doesn't run Amazon. 

The Amazon Associates program policies clearly state that you get credited the commission for ANY items purchased through your links, regardless of what those links are.

So like I said, link to an educational book on the subject and cross your fingers that someone in a shopping mood decides to enter Amazon through that link.

Haha I know, it was a joke.

But that tracking cookie only lasts one day, and if they're not really interested in that book they won't click.  I've gotten sales before from people clicking through and then buying something else... heck it actually HAS been some $100 Lego sets before, but it's not common.

I've had way more sales for items that I directly marketed through the Amazon capsules, and these are ads that whoever flagged my hub probably wouldn't think are relevant.  Yet they brought in a sale, because they were relevant to the reader.

All I'm saying is that the people reviewing our hubs need to stop and read ALL the content on a hub, and then think about who the target audience is and what they would actually be interested in after reading the hub.

2. Will Apse profile image87

Are you saying that there is some kind of actual holiday, I mean business's closing, schools closing, parades etc to celebrate the first flights to the islands? And do people routinely exchange presents on this occasion?

All 365 holiday hubs I wrote are about real holidays; not one of them was made up by me.  They might not get you out of school, but yes many people do celebrate the holidays.  The whole reason behind me creating videos and hubs every single day last year, to celebrate these holidays, was to point out that every day is worth celebrating.

You don't need a day off of work or someone telling you that you have to celebrate it a certain way for it to be considered a holiday.  But put it this way... when's the last time you asked for a book on the history of Christmas for a Christmas present?

Amazon sell an awful lot of books. They are not some kind of strange item only weird people use, lol. Well, I hope not.  I routinely give and receive books as presents.

I think the real issue is that the subject of your page is confusing so it is hard to work out what is relevant.

2. That Grrl profile image73
      That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I seldom link to anything on Amazon except books. Too often the other stuff has an error so I don't waste time trying any more.

5. profile image0
    jenuboukaposted 11 years ago

I have read almost every single one of these "holiday" hubs, they are mainly recipes and other fun ideas to celebrate "everyday" Great idea, and not a clue why any ads would be haggled for Bendo.  This was an incredible idea and for Bendo to post them ALL here and not on a personal website is by far a great contribution to the site, especially when we are endured to a lot of crappy writing. 

It seems, lately, that the writers who have invested a lot of time and effort are getting slammed for little things while there is a lot of spam and links to be dealt with.  While we have to jump through hoops just to earn a couple of cents to read and flag hubs, the moderators ( I would think) would be savvy in online knowledge and determine a  hub's value in more great detail.  It does seem like a personal hit, and not a clue why. 

If there is an ad problem, what good is it to unpublish something with out the intent to explain the problem.  If we are all here to succeed then that should go for those who make these kind of calls, own up to the reason, and move on.  I have seen way worse hubs that are mainly Amazon and ebay capsules for a spatula when the subject is not even on that.  Come on already, does anybody else see this site slipping? 

"over 50 million" down to 35 million???

It may be sliding for some but has recently picked up significantly for most.  Getting things right (like making sure that everything on a page is relevant to the reader's interests) is something you cannot ignore after Panda.

I don't know if Bendo's ads were relevant or not (having never seen the page) but he will be making himself that bit more vulnerable to a Google slap if they are not.

2. Bendo13 profile image77

Thanks!  But now they will all be shifted to my own site, because almost all of my holiday hubs were given the "Zzz", yet they all got traffic around the time of the holiday.

And when I emailed them and told them a number of times to check into my holiday hubs, they ignored me and left them in Zzz status.  So, they will be moved to my site, which will get traffic every single day of the year and HP won't see a cent of that.

This site has gotten some traffic back lately, but I only have 360 hits today (I think I had a couple 500 days), and before the crash I was getting 1,000 - 1,500 hits a day.  So, the site has yet to truly recover.

1. Jenn-Anne profile image75
        Jenn-Anneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I understand what Hubpages is trying to do and I appreciate it but unfortunately I feel it has rendered seasonal hubs obsolete to a certain extent. I had several seasonal hub ideas that I decided not to write because of the endless effort that would be involved in keeping them out of idle status. I worry that the "no index" tag will forever haunt the affected hubs and make the whole thing an exersize in futility. Sadly, moving your holiday hubs elsewhere is probably your best bet. Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)