Was there a recent policy change or did I upset someone?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (19 posts)
  1. iijuan12 profile image79
    iijuan12posted 8 years ago

I honestly want to know. Was there a recent change in hubpages.com policies, or did I do something to inadvertently upset someone? All of a sudden I have started getting a flood of e-mails about one hub after the next getting unfeatured.  Even TONIGHT (Friday night at 7:30 pm) I am continuing to get e-mails letting me know about additional hubs becoming unfeatured due to "spammy elements." I think at least half of my 300 hubs are now unfeatured!  Is this happening to anyone else right now?

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are probably a victim of the new 300 words per Amazon capsule, a rule that was not publicly announced, but slipped in under the radar recently.  I can't find the forum thread, but it happened to others. Do you see any warning boxes when you open the hubs in edit mode?

iijuan12posted 8 years agoin reply to this

A few of my pages had that issue, but most don't.  I did try to fix a couple hubs and deleted most of the amazon modules from them so that it wouldn't be an issue for them. They remain unfeatured.

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Email HP mods at team @ hubpages.com; they are the only ones who will know exactly what is wrong.  Non-staff can only guess, and since it so many all at once it seems like you were the victim of a sudden sweep.

Thank you! I will do that.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If a moderator does a random check on one of your Hubs and finds it to be "spammy", they will then check a couple of your other Hubs to see if it's a pattern.  Your Hubs definitely do follow a pattern so they could well be unFeaturing them one by one as they check them.

Did you remove the other unrelated links such as Kronos Curriculum link, and the possibly promotional links to your other Hubs?

Marisa,

I really appreciate all the time you have spent trying to assist me (and so many others)!

Yes, my pages do definitely follow a pattern.  I suppose that could be the
            reason for the sudden blitzkrieg of my pages.

Because you have suggested a few potential "fixes" in the past, I will address two of them.  (Please do know that I am not at all saying this in a snarky tone.  I am just explaining why I have not applied the suggestions to all of my pages.)

I post links to Konos Curriculum as a reference because some of my ideas came from that curriculum and similar ideas can be found in that set of books.  I did delete my references to Konos Curriculum on my Amphibians/Reptiles/Fish, and that page is still unfeatured.  (I edited it early this morning, and promptly received a "still unfeatured" e-mail.) 

If the issue with my Amphibians/Reptiles/Fish lesson is that I feature a Christian book (which you mentioned in a previous post), then that is a whole other issue.  I am a Christian and believe the Bible is completely relevant to every single topic.  I think it's really cool that in the 10 plagues all 3  types of animals (amphibians, reptiles, and fish) are used! It is a longer Bible passage to read, so I wanted pictures.  I love the pictures in the book that I read to my students when I taught that lesson.  I have explained that on my page in the module.

If the editor is going through all of my hubs and determining that my pages should not be featured because they contain Christian elements, then s/he is not following protocol as editors are not supposed to unfeature hubs because the hubs have different viewpoints than the author of the hubs.   

Again, thank you so much for the time you take and have taken in assisting me!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I didn't mean to suggest that the Christian book was irrelevant - just that for someone who's skimming the Hub, it may appear so. 

The QAP team are paid a few cents per Hub, so I believe there is bound to be a tendency to skim and make snap judgments like that. 

I fully understand the reason for including the reference to the curriculum and IMO it makes sense - however, it is "illegal" under the new HubPages rules because it is not directly relevant to the topic of the Hub.   It's akin to featuring an ad for a sewing machine on a Hub about sewing dresses (not allowed - not specific enough) or a saucepan in a Hub about cooking chicken (ditto). 

Anyway, if you've tried deleting those links, and the links to your other Hubs in the series, and it's still unFeatured - then presumably it must be their current aversion to Amazon ads that is the problem.  That is extremely frustrating - you can see that each book is an essential part of the process so it makes no sense.  However, some of their decisions don't make sense - I may have mentioned that I wrote a Hub reviewing four ballet DVD's, with a link to each DVD. I wasn't able to get it approved until I removed one of the Amazon ads, despite having far more than the required number of words.  That makes no sense from the point of view of providing value to the reader!

2. Dale Hyde profile image79
      Dale Hydeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The norm here of late for me.....

I think that they simply want new authors....

All is cool, because I simply move my stuff where it is read and earns coins. smile

Good luck HP, tossing out us veterans. smile

When I joined three years ago, it was being sold to us as "evergreen" hubs... publish something that was read and you had to do no more.  Now it is at every whim and glitch, you have to spend time and resources to continually tweak your material for the pennies they pay here.  I used to make pay out every month...now it may be quarterly or longer.

I have several websites that do not send me messages to tweak here and there.  The views are good and have been for seven years.  It is simply material that folks search for and Google points them there.  Again, no revising, no worries, the views just happen, same as on my blog.

Greed. smile

Where do you move them to?

1. Dale Hyde profile image79
          Dale Hydeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My blog.  It is on my profile...only link I give here. I have Google Adsense there  as well.

Thank you!

2. profile image0
            mts1098posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with your assessment...

3. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think it may have resulted from running the algorithm recently. I noticed at a Hub, of which I have only 7, at the 'Style Tips' at the Dashboard in the Edit Mode a caution for Link Groupings'. I had not seen that before. It did say the Hub may become unfeatured. I am sure that would be a task for those who have many Hubs to check for those Tips. It would be nice if they had those Tips published somewhere.

You can safely ignore that warning IF your list of links is a "Reference" or "Further Reading" section at the end of your Hub and IF it is not promoting your other Hubs or linking to sites that are unrelated.

1. tsmog profile image84
          tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank You Marisa smile In one Hub I had three groupings - Table of Contents, bibliography, and recommended reading. The latter was using the Link capsule. I hid the Table and bibliography and that Tip went away. I think I will add back the bibliography to see what happens. I dun'no . . .

What I'm saying is, it's just a generic tip - IF your links are a table of contents or a bibliography or references, then you can safely ignore it.  You don't have to remove or hide anything.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi iijuan,

Marisa has offered some very helpful and accurate info on unrelated links and products and how we determine what is related. Following her advice should help with getting your Hubs Featured again, should you choose to update them. Best of luck!

2. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

Given the quantity of people it is happening to I would say the underlying motive is that HubPages is having a clear out.

Why this is happening is anybody's guess. Maybe they want to move to a "paid writer" model like about.com?

There's more than a few ex-Squidoo people who have concluded that HubPages no longer wants them.

My guess as a business model this strategy only works IF:
    * HubPages HQ think only those lenses which are not earning a lot of money are unfeatured / will go
    * hubbers who actually generate more than a little income for HubPages are NOT annoyed by being told that other hubs are "spammy" (indeterminate and undisclosed as to what this means)
    * hubbers who are annoyed re the "spammy" emails do NOT move any good quality content on income-generating hubs to their own sites
    * hubbers with good quality content do NOT conclude that the HubPages business model is looking very opaque and unsustainable - and leave as well - taking their content with them.

Squidoo slid rather fast in the last year and it was IMO because a lot of people lost confidence in its ability to determine its future . They left the site in droves AND took good quality content with them.

Is HubPages in the same position?
    * The optimists hope not
    * The pessimists have already left
    * The realists are having a long hard think about their options.......

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)