jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Removal of Hub Tags..

1. alikhan3 profile image91
    alikhan3posted 3 years ago

Hub pages has removed Tags we used to give to our hubs......This has had a very damaging impact on traffic and earning before it was steadily rising and now its is just showing average traffic......?
    whats the reason for removing tags and any idea how to make up for the lost traffic.....?

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 3 years ago in reply to this

There was a blog entry and several long forum discussions:

http://blog.hubpages.com/2012/12/phasin … s-capsule/

Tags were never used in Google and even with the internal searches were abandoned a year ago.

Your traffic probably went down due to an alleged algorithm change by Google on December 10 - mine shot down and only recovered yesterday....

alikhan3posted 3 years ago in reply to this

hope so since 10 dec probably traffic is falling and a very drastic plunge today

2. Matthew Meyer profile image77
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

As @SimeyC stated, tags being fully retired and the recent Google traffic adjustments are not related.

2. Thelma Alberts profile image82
    Thelma Albertsposted 3 years ago

Oh! I have not even noticed it. I´ll check it out. Thanks.

3. 94
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 3 years ago

I noticed this yesterday when I re-wrote on of my hubs. Don't remember seeing an "official" notification of this. To be fair, it hasn't impacted my traffic but I would be keen to understand how it works now that we can't change our own tags.

4. kschang profile image90
    kschangposted 3 years ago

No it doesn't. Google have long used natural language analysis to determine the "real" keywords for your article. Your tagging only affects the META stuff which nobody bothers to read nowadays, not even the search engines. META tags and META description is SEO technique from 5-15 years ago.

If it's that simple, everybody would just randomly put in "high-value" tags like "iphone" "lady gaga" "justin bieber" and such even in irrelevant articles.

1. 0
      Miriam Weissmannposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It astounds me how many people don't know this, Kschang. But I still use them on my Avon blog. They're useful for internal linking, but don't mean a thing to Google. It's all because of the way people were taking advantage of the tagging system, and let's face it, we all were. Those were the days.

5. mistyhorizon2003 profile image94
    mistyhorizon2003posted 3 years ago

What SimeyC said, basically tags on HP were only ever used internally and never open to Google, plus even HP haven't been using them for many months by their own admission. The tags were effetively doing absolutely zero towards your traffic for some time now.

alikhan3posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I understand that now.... that's good ...... I hated figuring out search friendly tags

6. WAHmom profile image86
    WAHmomposted 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your posts about the tags. I was looking for the tags section bec. I wanted to update them. Glad to hear that these useless stuff have been removed. thanks, everyone!