jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

What do you see as the future of writing sites?

1. lorlie6 profile image85
    lorlie6posted 3 years ago

In the recent discussion of Bubblews (http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/114804), I am wondering what Hubbers see as the new trend in writing sites, successful ones.  The definition of successful may be debatable, and I call for opinions.  Do you have alternate plans, or are you considering other sites?

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think making a living from writing, for most people, means having multiple income streams.  Online content of an 'open access' type is probably going to be a less major option versus ebooks, owned sites, freelancing etc.

2. Jennifer Suchey profile image89
      Jennifer Sucheyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't know enough to guess, but I do know I'm spreading my writing around and trying to build up traffic to my own website. But I guess it's good to say apprised of how things are changing and how that will affect the type of writing I do and where I do it.

Thought provoking question. Hmmmm!

2. janshares profile image86
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

I'm so new to this but based on the little I know and have heard, writing sites will focus more on what will fit on a small mobile device: shorter, more concise informational pieces with bullets. Readers will want what they want even quicker without having to read too much. So writers will produce less and less content, probably won't be as lucrative a gig anymore. But the sites will be successful.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The trouble with following this approach is that readers may want brief, but you have to satisfy Google, too.   A short piece is not going to have enough keywords to impress Google, so you need to find ways to address that.

A blog can do that, because you can create an entire blog around one broad topic, and Google will look at the entirety of the blog, say "that's an authority" and feature even a short post if it's relevant.  It's harder for Hubs.