Title listings under hub categories and subcategories?

1. 0
    sheilamyersposted 2 years ago

When you browse through the listings of hubs under the main list (when you first click to explore hubs) or under the categories and subcategories, is there any specific way those titles are listed?

Here's why I'm asking. When I first started publishing hubs, it seemed that once my hubs were featured, they would appear near the top of the list so I always assumed the titles were listed with the newest hubs at the top. Last night, I published a hub on cat urinary tract problems and, when I searched for it this morning, it was buried way down the list on almost every page as I narrowed down the search through the various subcategories. Some of the other hubs listed above mine I know were written days ago so now I'm thinking there's some other way HP decides which titles appear where on the lists.

How does HP determine which hubs appear closer to the top of those lists? Does it work the same way as search engines and some combination of hub score and popularity place a title higher in the list? I'm curious about this for both myself and the other people who may be wondering the same thing. I often browse for new hubs and it seemed easier when I first joined because it seemed the titles were listed with the newest ones on the top. Curious minds want to know.

1. RachaelOhalloran profile image93
      RachaelOhalloranposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I just took a look at the hubs in general topic Pets and Animals where you have your hub placed and I see what you mean. Many of the hubs listed at the top have comments older than 2 days, some up to 8 months or more.

However, the author hub scores are in high 90's or 100. 

So then I went to Cats and Cat Breeds to see if it was the same there, and it is - high profile scores. Naturally I can't see the hub score, so it is possible that it goes by that.

Maybe if you edit to add category Cats and Cat Breeds you might have less competition for placement on the list than you would in general category of Pets and Animals.  Because from what I can see, the general category is a hodgepodge of everything so that cats are spread out, dogs are spread out etc all through that topic list, but on the specific lists, there seems to be a better chance of getting noticed.

I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like - high hubber scores, which may indicate high hub score for placement.

Adding Cats and Cat Breeds on your hub to put you on the new list might  get a better placement on the list?   Maybe.

I also notice every time I edit to add a new photo or a video, or change my category, my hubs place differently on the list within 24 hours. Naturally my views thus reader engagement gets better.
      I'll be interested to see how others answer this question.

1. 0
        sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the response. I did check through the various subcategories and notice the deeper I went, the higher my title appeared. As you said, less competition may be one reason. I have it listed down to "Cat Health", but the three categories under that don't apply to my particular hub. I try to remember to always list my hubs through every subcategory into which it fits so if people are looking for information on a more specific topic. I'm glad you mentioned it because I had to go back and make sure I did that. Thanks.