Grouping 800+ Hubs and system resources

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (60 posts)
  1. religions7 profile image56
    religions7posted 9 years ago

I have a lot of former lenses, now hubs - as in over 800. Grouping them turns out to be a problem: the tool can't handle me grouping too many at once.

On Windows 7, Chrome browser.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry you are having trouble grouping your Hubs.

If you can share the specific steps you are trying and the issue or errors you are having we can see if we can assist your further.

Are you getting a specific error?
      Did clearing your browser cache and restarting your computer have any impact?
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/99079

Are you perhaps running into system resource limitations (RAM, CPU, etc)?

You can use Resource Monitor in Windows 7 to show your system resources.
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … ce-monitor

religions7posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was having other editing problems as well, today - so I have updated my Chrome browser. I'll let you know if the problems remain.

My working memory is at 84%. Here is the warning the tool gives:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/10339204.png

I would guess that this is a memory problem: 800+ hubs is a lot. I didn't have this problem on a smaller account of mine.

2. religions7 profile image56

You would love to know precisely what is wrong with my system, but it seems to me that there are several ways in which this tool might be adapted to work for large accounts like mine.

For instance - if I could just group hubs in portions - say by the category they're in - the tool would probably be able to handle it. I mean - there is a bit on top of the general list of hubs where I can list them by category - only the ones in a specific category. If that could be copied over to the group-tool, those 800 hubs would not have to all be kept in my system's memory, just because with a drag-and-drop system I might be tempted to drag any one of them. Instead it would only have to remember the ones in that category.

Similarly, an alternative non-drag-and-drop method would work. The labels in squidoo used to be a simple drop down like thing with checkboxes. Less elegant, I realize that, but also less memory-intensive.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It might be worth trying some of these ideas which make Chrome faster:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/113910?hl=en

The other option is to use Firefox.  Remember, you don't have to "switch" to it.  Just install it, use it for this particular task, then go back to Chrome for everything else.  If you just let the Firefox software sit there unused it won't cause any problems.

4. religions7 profile image56

Thanks everyone for the support. I may put up some of my old 'squidoo-help' content later on in the year, when my accounts are cleaned up. The SEO content especially probably needs only a little adaptation to work over here, though I will have to rethink the subdomain issue. Whatever I do with it however, it will probably end up on another account of mine.

And yes, I too can imagine hubbers feeling anxious about this big change and worried that it may not be a good thing for hubpages in the short run. However, it's nothing compared to the stress former-squids are feeling trying to adapt to this new situation. Also - in 4 months time all the hubpage filters will be applied to former-squidoo content and that will get stuff unfeatured that is now visible, in those cases where squids don't clean it up. So even if you do see an account like mine not cleaned up in 3 months time, you can rest assured that hubpages will deal with it.

It was a gamble on hubpages part - and we will all see the consequences, good or bad (or mixed, as seems likely).
      ---
      I'm now getting back on topic. I can report that on a fresh firefox install, I'm having the same memory problem. It in fact hogs more memory. I'm on 91% now with two tabs open - including the groups tab, though it's not working on anything.

I should note that this is not a low end laptop I'm working on. It's a 2 year old Samsung ultrabook.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I had a similar problem with Firefox.  What happened was that although it was a fresh install, it had saved all my previous information including add-ons and extensions and modified settings. 

I can't recall exactly how I fixed it, but if you go into "Troubleshooting Information", you'll see all the information about your settings.  I do recall that I had to get to a screen which looked like that, but I was able to edit it. 

You could try starting with all add-ons disabled, or using the button on that screen to load basic Firefox only.

2. Paula Atwell profile image68
        Paula Atwellposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am just going to add more support here for Katinka/religions 7. Mark, what Janet said is right on. You are out of line on this subject. I love your stuff, but I know that there are many of us from Squidoo in the same boat, some of the people that have been on Hubpages throughout as well. I know that my Squidoo account while not as big has the same issues. I used to have 800 lenses but Squidoo locked my entire account and after that I just didn't bother. Yet the account that I had left still got traffic from Google and earned. So let's end this back and forth sniping, make peace and go forward to make Hubpages a great place for all of us.

5. religions7 profile image56

Reporting that the grouping tool also doesn't work well in IE. [and this is not hubpages' fault, but I can't even stop the IE browser from giving multiple instances of the same warning message. Feeling back to Chrome now]

The fact that you're experiencing the same issue across multiple browsers makes me wonder if the issue is with your PC, not HP or your browser?   I had a similar issue at one time and discovered it was my anti-virus program hogging bandwidth.

6. religions7 profile image56

As far as I'm concerned this issue is FIXED. Sure, it's still slow, but I have now managed to group all my hubs and the system did NOT freeze on me. Whether it's something that changed on my pc or on the hubpage end, I don't know, but I'm very glad this is done.

1. Lionrhod profile image78
        Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congrats! Very glad it's working for you now! I do hope HP will figure out an easier way to group hubs for those of you who have many.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Well done, glad you got it fixed!

2. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

I have the same issue too, Windows 8 Chrome and FF.  I can only do one at a time and have to wait about 10 minutes before I can regroup another.  Sometimes even being so conservative I still get an error message.  Sometimes even if it says "Changes Saved" the changes are not saved. It didn't used to be so temperamental.

3. Lady Lorelei profile image86
    Lady Loreleiposted 9 years ago

Perhaps the huge influx of data is slowing down the hubpage system. There are a tremendous amount of pages coming in and so many of us are busy trying to bring our old lenses up to hubpage standards.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

Interesting amount of adverts and links you have on those pages.  I am surprised that HubPages thinks Google will accept that.

I predict a giant Google Slap any moment now.

1. sockii profile image69
      sockiiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And how do you know if those pages have been edited since Squidoo import or not?

Can we not derail a conversation about a specific issue by attacking someone who is trying to work within the editing window granted to us?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it is quite common to check out a poster in the forums.  Sometimes you see interesting things, sometimes you can help and sometimes...

I went easy on my comment.

Mark, you are usually a nice guy.  That comment was uncalled for, especially for someone with 800 Hubs to edit. 

If we were getting close to the end of the grace period and you saw an account like that - or if the Hubber asked for your opinion - then you might've had a point.  Though I haven't looked at the Hubs in question.

It was the second time in an hour that I had seen published content that quite frankly shocked me.  It was unfair but we all publish on this site.  I don't know how Google will view the examples I saw.  Others can take up that conversation.

I know, and I understand how you feel, but you know the situation:   the Squidoo members were encouraged to do the very things we're not allowed to do.   

Back in 2011, would you have said the same thing to Nelle Hoxie within days of HubPages announcing the new limit on Amazon capsules?  Because she was in exactly the same position, with hundreds of Hubs all heavy with Amazon ads.  And before you say she shouldn't have done that - just a few months earlier, she was featured on the HubPages blog as most successful Hubber.

2. Valerie P Davis profile image74
              Valerie P Davisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@Mark Ewbie, Katinka (religions7) knows what Google thinks about it, better than you do. If you have any sense you'll follow her quietly and learn. Think of her as the Marisa Wright of Squidoo--she commands equivalent respect.

Yes, Squidoo had different standards from HP. If you have a question about the fact that HP acquired our content, you should address it to staff.

Thanks Sokii.

As Sokii said - most of those have not been edited since import. I'm no magician. Editing upwards of 1000 hubs within the 4 months hubpages has given us - that I can do. Within two week - no way.

And yes, I will be deleting a lot of amazon capsules. I have been deleting amazon capsules left and right. But it will take time.

It would be nice if you cut us some slack.

I didn't mean to pick on you or single you out.  On HP we have been told - time and time again - to cut down on ads and links - to write 1250 words - to make everything as squeaky clean as possible.

Doesn't make any difference anyway.

You did sound personal. And the reason I defend myself is in part because former-squids have been scared to enter the forums, because of posts like yours.

As for the quality standards: I know. I am actually a long time hubber (though obviously not on this account). What I think you don't realize is how disgusted many of us got with Squidoo. When their filters flagged a lens, I would move it to my own sites. Improving it was out of the question, because trying would usually lead to the lens being locked anyhow. When I came across a lens that wasn't flagged, but obviously ought to have been, I let it be. Out of shear disgust with the site. I have unpublished a few of those, but I have no doubt I missed many.

In fact I unpublished over 100 hubs today - ones I am not planning on improving on, or that have become irrelevant (squidoo community lenses - called 'lensographies' and 'groups' for instance). I have no doubt I missed about 50 - and that most of the more commercial former lenses in my portfolio need a thorough cleaning. And this is what I'm planning to do. However, I do need time - as all former squids do.

I am pretty proud of some of the hubs on this account, my spiritual and religious debates, for instance. However, this was also the account in which I experimented - and many of those experiments worked 4 years ago (or might have - the more successful experiments were generally moved from this account to two others and improved), but are thoroughly outdated now. We could also - up until a year ago or so - buy lenses. And when successful those lenses would get improved by me. When they weren't, I usually didn't bother. That's another source of low quality hubs on this account.

We all grew and changed as Google has gotten stricter - and I am committed to getting this account (as well as my others) into shape. Perhaps not up to your standards - because hubs with less than 1250 words do certainly exist and even stay published, some even getting near the one product per 50 words limit - but certainly up to hubpage standards.

3. justholidays profile image66
      justholidaysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I predict a Google slap anytime because Google is unpredictable and because Google has a huge number of hungry shareholders to feed these days. Squidoo lenses have nothing to do with a potential slap smile

What does a company do when they want to get rid of competition? They kill it. Competition on Google is free information (which for some even earns money to those that built it). So they must kill competitors. And HP, Squidoo, Infobarrel and other writing platforms are competitors.

The SSL is the new "must have" by Google for a site to rank - it doesn't factor right now but will in the future. And then, what's it going to be? They just can't publicly tell you that you now have to pay to be ranked... and sometimes perhaps even to be indexed.

1. jeffryv profile image63
        jeffryvposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Totally NOT true
        "And then, what's it going to be? They just can't publicly tell you that you now have to pay to be ranked... and sometimes perhaps even to be indexed."

1. justholidays profile image66

Not now perhaps, Jeffry, but that may happen in the future.

2. Writer Fox profile image30
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely right that using https is a new ranking signal of the Google algorithm:
        http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. … ignal.html

However, that has nothing to do with having to pay for ranking (that doesn't exit) or for indexing (that doesn't exit either).

I used the future, Writer Fox (perhaps not the right tense, though but I'm a French speaker, so please excuse my English mistakes) - when they'll exploit any possible means and probably any possible law (that may be voted one day or another since making money in any kind of ways is what leads the world nowadays), they may end up publicly ask you to pay to be indexed and ranked.

5. iijuan12 profile image66
    iijuan12posted 9 years ago

I only have 300 pages, so I'm not sure that it will be the same.  I found it helpful to group one set/category together, refresh the page, and then close all the tabs.  Then I'd start on another group, refresh the page, and close all the tabs.  Having the tabs closed helped it to move a bit faster.

I can't even group 10 hubs in a row without the system freezing on me.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

If you have dumped cache cookies from your options, as well as separately with chrome, I suggest that you dump Chrome and reinstall it.  A lot of adware, etc has been slipping in through Chrome.  I use Trojan Killer which gives you a trial run then you have to pay for it.  Personally it is worth the $39 a year they charge.

I should dump what? My cookies have been dumped recently.

Adware in chrome? I don't think that's my problem - no toolbars or unexpected popups in sight.

Anyhow, - chrome backs up everything, so reinstalling means that whatever I have installed will be reinstalled, including possible adware.

However, I could of course turn off some of my adons. That's a good idea.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11771294.png

That's my memory usage according to Chrome itself. However - getting rid of most addons has improved the situation. Still seriously slow, but no longer freezing. I can group 14 hubs at a time now.

I really don't want to switch to firefox - I have everything set up so well in Chrome. Firefox was a big let down when I tried it last week.

7. Janet2221 profile image77
    Janet2221posted 9 years ago

Mark it was Hubpages management that made the decision to take on these pages from Squidoo.  So if you have a problem with the pages you are seeing or how Google will view them, take it up with HP don't harass people in the forums.  It was not their choice to be here and they are doing the best they can.

Amen to that.

2. Writer Fox profile image30

Actually, Squidoo writers had the choice whether to transfer articles to HubPages or not.  Was there something about that option which you did not understand?  If so, you can delete your HP account if you want to do that.

Actually, as happened to me, I did NOT have a choice. I came back to Squidoo after having fixed a broken computer and found that I'd been moved. I'm not complaining though. I'm liking it here at HP and I very much appreciate the help of both the community and the staff.

The staff is especially much more responsive than back at Squidoo, where we generally had to rely on other community members to help us fix anything that went wrong. (In my experience at least.) I still have tickets in about problems back in March and have never heard from Squidoo staff on them. Fortunately, because of the move, they're no longer an issue.

2. Paula Atwell profile image68
        Paula Atwellposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, um, no. . .
        The choice was Hubpages or delete the account altogether. That isn't much of a choice.
        Sorry for further derailing Katinka.

1. Writer Fox profile image30

You had the choice, and still have the choice, whether to publish your articles on HubPages or not.  That's the only choice I'm talking about here.  No one is forcing you to be here. When a site like Squidoo goes belly-up, you should consider yourself fortunate that you were offered an alternative site to publish your articles automatically.  If you don't like it here, you could try Wizzley:
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/77538

1. profile image0
            darkprinceofjazzposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It would be nice if those concerned would stop talking to the OP and everyone else like we were born yesterday.

She, as well as all the rest of us, have 120 days to decide what to do about all of those compatibility issues. You are stating the obvious.

This comment was not directed to the OP, but to Paula Atwell, who felt she wasn't given much of a choice about being on the HubPages platform.  Apparently, the fact that she did/does have a choice was not so obvious to her or she wouldn't have posted here.

It's amusing that you find trolling my comments to be so entertaining! cool

1. profile image0
                darkprinceofjazzposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You mean the way you and the comic one trolled me with your little stick figure fun? Troll this!

8. profile image0
    julieannbradyposted 9 years ago

Speaking to the difficulties with the grouping feature. I used to have 810 lenses and can't even begin to entertain what Katinka (religions7) must be going through. I only have 47 hubs now, but I too experienced difficulties with the grouping. I found I had to close out the page, clear my browser history and come back in. I didn't mind that extra work. However, I surely can't imagine trying to do that for considerably more hubs.

It would be "nice" to be able to move a group of hubs to a group at a time.

9. Lionrhod profile image78
    Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

Hey folks, could we maybe get back to the grouping hubs subject?

IMO that was one of the few things Squidoo in some ways did better. The drop-down box made it easier to group our lenses no matter how many we had, and I hope it's something HP will consider as a fix.

Even with a mere 21 hubs, I felt the drag and drop method was clunky and annoying -- pages kept dropping into the wrong categories and I had to move them around several times. I can't imagine how that would be with 800 hubs. Eeek!

What I do like though, is the fact that grouping hubs is actually beneficial. Back on Squidoo I think the only thing they were useful for was our own organization.

On HP, you have the option to use the Group feature, which will show the previous and the next Hub in the group at the bottom of a Hub.

You can also use the 'Links' list on a Hub to list other Hubs you have written which are related. This will give a link and an option for a description, but no image.

Lastly, you can just use an ordinary text capsule, insert an image to the right, and feature related Hubs that way.

Yes, I'd noticed some Hubbers including a links list and thought that was a brilliant (and helpful) idea.

I hadn't yet thought of using the ordinary text capsule in that way. (With a pic.) Great idea. Thank you!

On most of my Hubs, I list other related Hubs at the bottom in a Text capsule with a photo.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11810715.png

10. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

OK. As I have been mentioned a couple of times I am making a hopefully last post to point out a couple of things.

One.  I am not running away.

Two. No one 'commands' my respect.  A very few earn it over a period of time.

Three. They are very few indeed.  I don't care who you say you are, how many friends you got, how large your post count or collection of pages is.

Four.  Regarding content.  I do apologise for singling someone out but I lost it after viewing a number of posts that seemed to fly in the face of two years suffering QAP at HubPages.  So my apologies for that.

Five. Regarding QAP.  What on earth was the point when HubPages decide to take what seems to be a massive gamble and relax the rules.  Rules they have imposed on the rest of us.

Six. I can't think of a six.

Seven.  This scared to enter forums is nonsense.  Pretty much without exception - and perhaps I am the exception - HubPages is a wonderfully supportive place.

Eight.  But thankfully it is not supportive (generally) in that secret back handing vote-me-up-i'll-vote-you-up way.  Mostly people play it for real because there are no Giants, no favours, no (few) secret groups.

Nine. To those saying it is no concern of mine - I have published content on HubPages.  I don't want another Google slap. It is 'my' site too.

I hope that is fairly clear, fair and not too threatening.

Totally agree.

It may have been a gamble for HP and their regulars. It's also a gamble for those of us moving here, but a gamble some of us are willing to take.

While I realize that four whole months of content that doesn't meet HP standards is a risk...at the same time, most of us who migrated from Squidoo NEED that time to get our pages into compliance. I'm very lucky in that I only have 21 hubs (one not even published/finished yet) that need to get up to Hub standards. Even so, I've been taking it on as if it were a second job and devoting the past week or so to it - when I could and should be doing other things. Heck! The only way I found out about the move was because I was going to use my book reviews as part of a job resume.

We Squidoo writers (in most part - there are exceptions to everything) are passionate about creating content that is useful to the reader and that folks WANT to find.   

Witness the reaction in these forums. Here we are, doing our best to understand the rules, learn what is out of bounds and what doesn't work, Learn what works best, etc.

It would be a giant help if you'd give us a little bit of a break.

So I'm sorry you may be jealous or whatever that we get to elude QAP (and only if we don't touch our pages) for a short while. Some of us have hundreds of pages to fix in a very short period of time. What part of the fact that we're all trying hard to do this are you missing out on? 

Except that you yourself are promoting the anti-Squidooer mentality.

Here we are doing our best to bring our pages into compliance, and instead of helpful advice, you're offering anything but.

Yes we're afraid to enter the forums. Much of what I've found here is generous and supportive and helpful. And a good lot of content is obscured by folks who are here to dis those of us who are just moved in and doing our best to make our pages work here.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

It may not be too threatening, but it is way way way off topic.  The OP wanted help on using the Groups feature.

Let's hope you have managed to write a hub about it.

11. firstday profile image60
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

Please post a drawing of your feelings if you feel up to it.

12. firstday profile image60

Please post a drawing of your feelings if you feel up to it.

I try not to post too many because they can be annoying.  This is me clearing up the mess..
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11811349.jpg

13. firstday profile image60

Great!  When it comes to your drawings I am probably one of your greatest fans.  I believe some the others will agree your picture depicts what many of us are experiencing.  I am glad to see in the picture you are careful not to get cut.
    Thanks Mark.

Love them too - used to look at them on my old HP account. They generally add a breeze of fresh air to a hard thread like those we already had about copyright stuff and stolen content for example.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)