jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

Choosing the Correct Category Really Makes a Difference!

1. Kylyssa profile image93
    Kylyssaposted 19 months ago

I recently noticed that I hadn't changed the category of a few of my hubs that had been moved from Squidoo since that move. I saw the issue when I was updating hubs that weren't getting any or many views. I changed those hubs about decorating with rolled fondant from just HubPages»Food and Cooking to HubPages»Food and Cooking»Dessert Recipes»Cake & Candy Decorating. Somehow, I'd missed a handful of them in earlier editing passes.

It's just hours later and one of them that wasn't getting any views at all has gotten seven already, not counting the two from MTurk.

Apparently, it really helps to use the correct categories and to get as specific with them as possible!

1. sallybea profile image98
      sallybeaposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Thanks, Kylyssa, makes me think I should go back and check some of my own categories.

2. peachpurple profile image77
      peachpurpleposted 19 months ago in reply to this

yeah, i should change the right category for my ow rating hubs

3. gerimcclym profile image87
      gerimcclymposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Thank you for the tip -- I got a little more specific with the subcategories for several of my hubs and have already seen a rise in traffic for those hubs.

4. letstalkabouteduc profile image90
      letstalkabouteducposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Thanks, Kylyssa, for sharing. I didn't know whether to stay general or get more specific. I have some changes to make!

2. chef-de-jour profile image88
    chef-de-jourposted 19 months ago

Every little tweak helps! Please keep us up to date with your figures for re-categorised hubs.

1. Kylyssa profile image93
      Kylyssaposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Obviously, I can't get too specific, but all of those I changed are continuing to get views. The views aren't fabulous, but going from nothing to something is definitely something. One of the batch is showing me I probably missed out on thousands of views in the seventeen months these hubs were not properly categorized.

I'm going to hunt through the rest of my hubs for other hubs that could be in more specific categories.

3. ILoveLegosToo profile image65
    ILoveLegosTooposted 19 months ago

An easy way to do this is to use the Topics subtab under Hubs tab in your dashboard.

1. sallybea profile image98
      sallybeaposted 19 months ago in reply to this

That is a helpful hint, thanks you and Kylyssa.

2. Kylyssa profile image93
      Kylyssaposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Thank you! You just saved me a ton of time.

3. Snakesmum profile image89
      Snakesmumposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Thanks for this tip, and thanks to Kylissa for starting the topic.
      Am now in the process of editing my hubs to see if  I can get an improvement in traffic.

4. gerimcclym profile image87
      gerimcclymposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Thank you, ILoveLegosToo -- this was very helpful.

4. Snakesmum profile image89
    Snakesmumposted 19 months ago

Yesterday, I updated the categories on some of my hubs, and today, the traffic to those hubs has improved a little.
    Looks as if it will be worthwhile updating all of them to a better fit category!

5. Alexis Cogwell profile image83
    Alexis Cogwellposted 19 months ago

That's happened to me. I had them in the right category, but could have sub-categorized better. It's amazing what one more step will get you! smile

working