Hub of the Day x two !

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. agvulpes profile image85
    agvulpesposted 9 years ago

Just thought I would add some 'positiveness' to the HOTD discussions smile
    Is this some kind of record for getting two HOTDs ?
    mhiggins published  a Hub - 18th October 2014 - was awarded a well deserved HOTD.
    then published another Hub 8th December 2014 and was awarded a HOTD again.
    Both Hubs were about the same subject !!!
      I'm not sure what I think but congratulations to him regardless as both Hubs are a good read smile
    I would love to 'hear' what others think about this ???

2. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Yes, I thought it odd as well, agvulpes. I've never seen that before. However, many of the same hubbers have received multiple HOTD recognition within months of each other. Anyway, I'm not here to throw shade. I'm grateful to have received one and stopped trying to figure out the ongoing mysteries of HOTD. Congratulations, mhiggings for jobs well done!

agvulpesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I certainly agree with you about the congratulations to mhiggings smile
      I guess what my triggers my mind is that the two hubs, although both certainly worthy of the HOTD award, are almost identical in nature?

3. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I've also gotten two HOtD's but they were nearly three years apart. Anytime they wanna give me another one, though, I'd be perfectly OK with it. big_smile

FFC congratulations on your awards and I would certainly accept another HOTD myself big_smile

4. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

I had two in the past year or so, both written some time back.

Congratulations Rochelle your awards are well deserved smile
        I have a 'sense', that speaking 'generally',  that some of the old HOTDs would not qualify with 'todays' tough criteria.?  smile

5. clivewilliams profile image73
    clivewilliamsposted 9 years ago

Congrats to all who score HOTD, but i really dont care about it. If it generates a million views on that day well i certainly would be ranting, but what does it mean in views and monetary wise to get HOTD? (really need an answer)

Clive a million views a day would be 'nice' but I don't believe that it would happen and even if it did the amount of return from adsense would not be all that great smile
        However it would 'expose' any eBay or Amazon ads on the Hub to prospective buyers ?

1. clivewilliams profile image73
        clivewilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

well, then what good does HOTD serves? Hubpages says fine, this is a good post and then chooses it and tags it HOTD and plasters it on their front page. I dont see how it would not get at least 200000 views in that day. Unless traffic is really dead here. But i salute all who put in the work for it to be recognized, just hope all those HOTD would benefit more.

Hmm, what good does it serve?  Probably none other than give people the incentive to do 'better'.
          I would liken it to the MVP award in sport .  Gives the players something to 'strive' for when things are not looking too good? smile

6. Richard-Bivins profile image81
    Richard-Bivinsposted 9 years ago

I only have 12 hubs on this account and 3 of them were selected for HOTD and 1 was selected as a rising star; all within a few months...  I'm grateful for the recognition, but none of those received more than a couple hundred views on the day they were selected.

1. SmartAndFun profile image92
      SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree; I think it is mainly fellow hubbers who see the HOTD. I think search engine traffic and social media traffic land on specific articles rather than the home page. Most of those readers are unaware of the home page or HOTD.

I think the point of HOTD is to motivate hubbers to follow HP's "stellar hubs" forumla, which helps hubbers and HP alike, and to provide newbies with examples of what to strive for. HOTD is a motivational carrot and a nice feather in a hubber's cap, but the traffic this award brings is mainly internal -- meaning HOTD is not a big money-maker.

Yep I agree with your logic, although I think that HOTDs are placed on another 'page' which gives them a bit more exposure ???

1. SmartAndFun profile image92
          SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To tell you the truth, I'm not exactly sure where they are featured. I know they are featured for a day on a members' HP "feed," but only members would have a feed, correct?

According to the Learning Center, "Each day, a new Hub is selected by the HubPages staff to be featured on the signed-in and signed-out homepage on HubPages.com. This Hub will continue to be featured in the signed-out homepage carousel for the following nine days." I'm assuming it is mainly only HP members would ever see a sign-in or sign-out page?

There is also a HOTD archive. I just don't think many visitors coming from outside HP are going to come across the HOTD archive, a sign-in or sign-out page, nor would they have a HP feed. Are HOTDs featured anywhere else?

SaF if someone just lands on the HubPages dot com page ( I think it may be called a Splash Page) the HOTD shows up in a Slider.
            I'm not sure just how much more HP can do to 'promote' the HOTD ?
            Do you have any ideas?

2. agvulpes profile image85

@Richard congratulations on such a great achievement in such a short time.smile
        Yes unfortunately there are no 'guarantees' of views or income with the HOTD award sad
      There are too many other factors come into play for that to happen smile
      However I would suggest that if you could get the HOTD  'and' have the subject about something that people are searching for ?   You would get more 'returns' than NOT having won the HOTD ? smile
      Does that make sense ?

7. CatherineGiordano profile image78
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

I had three HOTDs in a 30 day period. They each got about 200-300 views in the week they were featured. I felt that it was a great honor to be chosen even once.  But that was back in September/October; nothing before or since.

I agree Cathrine that getting a HOTD is a great honor and I congratulate you on your achievement in getting three in a 30 day period.
        Without taking anything away from your awards do you think it is 'odd' in some way that with the amount of Hubs that are published ? I believe that there are 'millions',  that the same author can score HOTD so many times in such a short span ? smile

1. CatherineGiordano profile image78
        CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was very surprised to get even two HOTD in such a short period of time. However, I have heard of other people who have gotten two in a short period of time.  I think the staff wants a variety of topics. My hubs were about the quetzal, tips for writers, and collecting. I can see why they might like those topics. I don't think the HOTD's are chosen as an award or gift for the writer, but rather because the team feels a particular hub is beneficial to HP. If it was about the writer, the team would say, "She's had her turn," and the same author would not be picked for at least a year. It's just a fluke. I happened to have what they were looking for at that point in time.

8. CatherineGiordano profile image78
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

I discovered that HP has a facebook page and then found 4 of my hubs were on it.  And now since I happened to think about it, I went and checked, and another one of my hubs is on HP's facebook page today. Also, for the first time one of my hubs got a hub score of 100, even though it has previously been all over the map. I have no idea why, but it was the first time so it was exciting. I feel like talking about it will jinx it, but I couldn't resist a little boasting. I feel like it is validating me as a good writer. So far it's not producing any meaningful income, but maybe that will finally start to happen for me too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)