Web addresses re: opening hub accounts

1. iainmacinaz profile image61
    iainmacinazposted 7 years ago

I am a newbie and am confused by the web address bit when trying to get started. I am only averagely retarded [as opposed to completely retarded] and I actually have a web address [as I wanted to blog] that I created a year ago. However, I only created one post on it and then stopped because I felt  that I needed to know more HTML to create a worthwhile website [not having enough to pay someone to do it]. This hardly seems a place to direct one to. [Even though it was an interesting/prescient piece on hubris and the financial situation - writen a year ago smile

"Give your Hub a web address". In the HubPages venture, I am only interested in HubPages [at least until I gain more competence and confidence]. I think/know [???] I have the wordsmith ability and want to start writing HubPages without appearing 100% moronic [or irritating] to the cognoscenti.

What does one put in the Web Address box?

Thanks so much to anyone who can take the time to answer this before having to refill their glass.

PS. You do, of course, realise that it'll take me for ever to find your responses on HubPages until I get smarter. In the meantime, I can be reached on iainmac@musingallowed.com

1. my-success-guru profile image61
      my-success-guruposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hello can someone please help? I just posted two Hubs and should have been the most recent Hubs but I can't find them anywhere. Has anyone ever experinced this?

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Each one of your Hubs is a web page so it needs a URL (web address) so people can find it.  When you type in the title of your Hub, the web address will create itself automatically, but you may prefer to create your own.

For instance, I wrote a Hub called "How to Make a Belly Dance Veil" so the web address came out as "how-to-make-a-belly-dance-veil".  That's much too long and has too many hyphens.  So I changed it to "belly-dance-veil". 

I find it's best to keep the URL short, because sometimes you'll want to post it on a forum or send someone a link, and it just looks so much more professional if it's short and sweet. 

If you change it and there's already a webpage with that address, it will tell you and you can try something else.