jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

HubPages Does Good

1. Writer Fox profile image81
    Writer Foxposted 18 months ago

For the first time since the HP design changes, traffic is up again over one million a day:
    May 5: 1,179,592 Unique visitors
    July 7:  1,023,025 Unique visitors

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12517595.jpg

(I hope that isn't because of the mass site-scrapper, copying ever page of the site!  sad )

1. colorfulone profile image86
      colorfuloneposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I guess we will see.  Hoping its G-love!
      Appreciate the heads-up. - Cheers!

1. Writer Fox profile image81
        Writer Foxposted 18 months ago in reply to this

According to Search Engine Journal, HP's hit on May 5th: "...  most notoriously with HubPages experiencing a 22% overall drop in traffic."
        http://www.searchenginejournal.com/ensu … te/134675/

2. Fiction Teller profile image61
    Fiction Tellerposted 18 months ago

Yeah, I've been trying to decide if Panda's starting to roll out, if it's a pre-Panda surge (those spikes right before a Panda where Google does its preliminary testing thing), or if the uptick is something else.  Definitely something.  But what?

3. Marie Flint profile image91
    Marie Flintposted 18 months ago

Writer Fox, the subject of traffic and "Panda" is a mystery to me, but I do appreciate your keeping us informed. Sound upbeat and positive overall.

1. Marie Flint profile image91
      Marie Flintposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Edit: Sounds

2. Chris Tyler profile image79
      Chris Tylerposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Panda is a change in Google's algorithm that determines the results people see when they search for something. To use an easy to follow example, picture this:

You walk into a room with a huge filing cabinet on one side, and a table stacked with loose files and papers on the other. You have to organize all of those files and papers, and put them in the filing cabinet. What do you do?

1. You need to find out what kind of system you want to use: Alphabetical, Numerical, or something else.
      2. You need to sort the files and papers accordingly
      3. You need to transfer them into the filing cabinet.

Well, Google does the same thing, only instead of files and papers it's organizing every website on the planet. And while it's far more complex, the process is essentially the same as the one we talked about above:

Its algorithm is its "organizational system", so when that system changes, it needs to "sort the files and papers accordingly" again, and in order to sort them, it has to actually look at them; that's where the spikes in traffic for websites comes from- not because readers are looking, but because Google is looking in order to better sort the pages.

4. Uzochukwu Mike profile image60
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 18 months ago

I think Hubpages is really doing better than before. I got over a thousand impressions and about 1800 views two days ago but the problem is that CPM is becoming low.

5. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 18 months ago

Hopefully the news continues to trend better, and it is summer after all where traffic seems to be on the downside overall.

6. Fiction Teller profile image61
    Fiction Tellerposted 18 months ago

Yeah, okay, after checking out Webmasterworld, I'm thinking this recent mini-surge is a pre-Panda marker, and it's coming soon, as in hours or a few days.  Not all the Pandas hit me, but in the past when I've had big spikes in my articles the week before Panda, they boded ill.  This is an organic-feeling climb, nothing huge but still noticeable.  So I don't know what to make of it.  Hoping for the best, expecting the worst, 'cause I always do. Good luck, y'all.

working