jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Ban Function

1. Hope Alexander profile image79
    Hope Alexanderposted 7 years ago

I know this has come up before, but we need a ban function. It is too easy for people to troll hubs, causing nothing but annoyance to the writer and other commenters. If a hubber or other commenter proves to be nothing but unpleasant, incendiary and oftentimes, downright nasty, we should be able to block them from commenting on our hubs, or it would be nice to be able to anyway.

This function should not ban people from participating on the rest of hub pages, but ban them from a certain hubber's hubs. Being able to delete comments and flag them as spam is one thing, but being able to no longer have to deal with a certain user or ip is another function I am sure many would appreciate.

Most online communities have some form of a /ignore function... can we not do the same here?

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
      GeneriqueMediaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

No offense, but doesn't the ability to "deny" a comment serve this purpose pretty well?

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If someone is leaving unwanted comments, you need to mark their comments as "spam." (and then delete them) After a short time of this, the HubPages system will then automatically recognize their comments as such and you won't see them on your Hubs anymore.

1. Hope Alexander profile image79
        Hope Alexanderposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Oh, that's how it works? Nice. Thanks for letting me know smile

2. Whitney05 profile image68
        Whitney05posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Can you still see comments that are marked spam when logged out? I wasn't sure if deleting them after marking as spam would do any good. I think I've always just marked as spam... :-/

I marked a few today, I think, but can't remember which hubs.

2. RKHenry profile image81
    RKHenryposted 7 years ago

What is trolling hubs?

3. 0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

I wasn't aware of the spam option. I thought spam was for spam, and I've noticed that often HP recognizes spam and doesn't post it without me doing anything at all. But I think the issue was more people who leave repeat 'hate mail'. Most web sites have a function that allows you to block people who do that to you over and over. They aren't spammers, they're just, I don't know, disturbed or something. When you have to delete their comments each and every time you also have to read them, or at least acknowledge they are there, and over time it can get to you especially if it's really toxic stuff.

If you've never gotten hate mail on your hubs it probably doesn't make sense, but if you have, you know what I'm talking about.