jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Displaying Share Statistics on Buttons

1. eugbug profile image92
    eugbugposted 9 months ago

If the number of shares was displayed adjacent to the share buttons, would it result in a "herd instinct" and encourage more readers to share?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image92
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 9 months ago in reply to this

I think so. That herd instinct thing is very very real. I see it a lot on facebook. Especially with the 'likes.' If I say something funny and two people hit 'like,' it's common that several more will follow.

Of course the negative is if no one has shared something then people may think the thing isn't worth sharing.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 months ago in reply to this

We used to display the number of shares next to the buttons, actually. However, it slowed down the load time of the page considerably, and after extensive testing, we found that the number of shares was not significantly higher with the numbers showing than without.

In general, this technique is only effective with articles that already have shares in the hundreds and thousands, which is only the case for an extremely small percentage of existing Hubs since most Hub traffic is from Google, not social media. In the end, we decided the faster loading time would be of a much broader benefit to more Hubbers.

2. eugbug profile image92
    eugbugposted 8 months ago

That's interesting that page load times were slower. Is that because the social networking sites have to be interrogated on the fly to get data on shares? If the numbers were held locally and incremented each time a share was made, presumably this wouldn't affect load times. Of course the numbers then wouldn't reflect unshares made directly on the social sites or secondary shares of original shares.
    Anyway you've done the testing Christy and it wasn't worthwhile, so it's back to the drawing board for more brainwaves!

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 months ago in reply to this

Yes, the buttons made a call to each network every time the page was loaded.

working