Meta Description Issues in Search

1. EricDockett profile image95
    EricDockettposted 2 months ago

I've noticed search engines often aren't showing the meta tag in the search results for at least some of the niche sites. Instead they are grabbing text from the body of the article, which is fine I guess as long as it is relevant to the search. However, sometimes it isn't relevant at all, and that will impact click-through and eventually ranking.

Is there anything HubPages can do from a coding perspective to make it more likely that search engines will use the meta description?

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 2 months ago

For sites, we are adding meta descriptions to homepage, topic/cateogory pages.  This is just getting started.

For articles, authors can fill in a summary that gets placed in the meta description, but Google tends to produce the snippets algorithmically (the ones they show in the search results) based on the query.

1. EricDockett profile image95
      EricDockettposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Thanks Paul. I know Google doesn't always choose to show the summary, but I was hoping there was something HP could do to make it more likely they would. I'm seeing some weird stuff turn up in search instead..