jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Hubs Chosen for Niche Sites, Writer is Told Problems Need to Be Fixed

1. Jean Bakula profile image96
    Jean Bakulaposted 2 days ago

When our hubs were once chosen, we had a way to see what was supposed to be fixed before it appeared on a niche site. Now I don't see anything like that. It could be me, but there was a way to see what they wanted added or deleted.

It's very frustrating. Yesterday I was told my hub on Zeus, the Greek god of the sky, had an "average" picture on it. He communicated with humans by throwing thunderbolts, and I had a large, colorful thunderbolt picture at the top. I sometimes write 3,000 word hubs, and feel they need colorful images to keep the reader going until the end. I felt it was a snarky and immature comment. Obviously the moderators aren't even reading these hubs to see the details.

Is this happening to anyone else? And should I just take my best psychic guess about what needs to do be done to have my hub moved? I feel like the powers that be are getting swelled heads. Average? For a picture?

1. promisem profile image95
      promisemposted 46 hours ago in reply to this

Yes. I had a Hub rejected because the paragraphs were "too short".

They were short (one to two sentences each) because "reading ease" is a ranking and engagement factor for search engines. I now don't know what is an acceptable length for paragraphs.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 days ago

I've just gone through the same experience so I understand what you mean, however it does sound as though you've been told exactly what they want changed.  There's no point changing anything else, if the email says the problem is the picture.   

I think the picture looks great, but if they've got a bee in their bonnet about the picture, then you can't make up for it by improving other areas.  The problem might be that if the moderator knows nothing about Zeus, they'll think that picture is irrelevant.   If it had a caption saying something like "To ancient Greeks, lightning was caused by thunderbolts hurled by Zeus", the connection would be clear and maybe it would be allowed?

When they first moved the Hubs, the moderators actually made the changes for you - all you had to do was go and look at the changes they'd made (by following the link in the Hub or clicking on the little red pencil).  They didn't want us to make any other changes ourselves.  Maybe that wasn't clear to you, if so it's a pity you did so much extra work for nothing. 

Now they're not making changes, they're just picking Hubs that are good enough for the niche sites and sending us a quick email to say, please improve a few things.  The email always tells you what kind of changes are required and there's no point making changes they don't ask for.  So for instance if it says you need to address links and photos, there's no point wasting time changing headings or grammar.

The annoying thing is they're usually not specific about exactly which links or pictures or whatever and then it's a guessing game.  At least in your case they've told you the exact problem. 

By the way, your other photos are not credited correctly, you need to find the photo on Wikimedia Commons and paste in the credit line from there. Just crediting Wikipedia is not enough.

1. Jean Bakula profile image96
      Jean Bakulaposted 2 days ago in reply to this

Thanks Marisa,
      I thought the procedure had changed. I have so much trouble finding pictures for some of my hub topics, so I have to stretch my imagination and sometimes use a picture about something else mentioned in the hub.

I used Google Images when I first came here, and never realized it was wrong. I've spent so much time replacing pictures, but I'm trying. Shouldn't the moderator be reading the hub more closely so they get the connections?

I didn't know we had to credit the Wikimedia pictures. I'll add it to the list. When the changes were pointed out in green and red, I did get that, so I didn't change all those for nothing.

Thanks for your help and patience. Take care.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 2 days ago in reply to this

I'm not sure you did get it (when the changes were pointed out in green and red, I mean). When those changes were made, you were only supposed to open the Hub and look at the changes, that's all.   If you did anything at all to those green and red changes, you were doing it for nothing (unless of course you weren't happy with the changes).  But anyway, it's all in the past now.

3. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 2 days ago

I haven't seen your Zeus, so I am in no position to offer an opinion on its individual merits but I will say that pictures are as important as text to visitors.

I recently spent a couple of days writing a page on pets but could not find a good image for the lead picture. I published it anyway because, I had put the work in, but a couple of days later, unpublished it. A second rate picture was never going to cut it.

One day, I will come across the pic I need and republish.

You need to take pics seriously...

4. Solaras profile image92
    Solarasposted 39 hours ago

Your photos of statuary are heavily pixilated. The rocks image of Zeus kids looks like it has a net over it (to prevent landslides?) the netting also creates a strange sizzling effect.

5. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 35 hours ago

I just re-read the OP and realised I misread it, sorry.

I thought they were saying the first photo was "average" but actually it just said A photo was average, not the first one.  Now I look at the other photos, I agree that they are probably the problem, not the first one.

Here's a better version of Zeus:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File … Inv257.jpg

And here's a better one of Hera:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File … nv6005.jpg

The rocks picture isn't really necessary (and actually I would double-check that myth because while I was looking for a better picture of it, I found other versions of the story but not that one).

I think the first photo is a great choice, although it could use a caption to explain the relevance.  Here is the Hub, by the way, for those who couldn't find it:
    http://hubpages.com/education/Zeus-The- … -Supremacy

1. Solaras profile image92
      Solarasposted 22 hours ago in reply to this

Yeah - I think it was Chronos greedily gobbling up Zeus' brothers and sisters that gets Rhea to feed him a rock instead of Zeus, when Zeus was born. That's the only rock story I know of, but I am no expert.