jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)

this one's for the children

1. Jane Dee Summers profile image60
    Jane Dee Summersposted 7 years ago

To co-incide with Pricessa's health care topic. I thought we could take it a little futher.

I would like to propose a fasting day for all the starving children around the world. Could we agree on a date for beginning of October.

The fast will start at 12pm in your time zone, until sunset the following day. You can take water if you please.(Only for people who do not have any medical problems please.)

Let's do our bit on hubs.

I liked Princessa's idea of creating a hub around an important topic.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If you fast and I fast ,and every hubber fast, is that going to give every hungry children food ? yikes  do you believe in miracles ?  hmm

2. 0
    ryankettposted 7 years ago

How is a fasting day going to help starving children from around the world? The only thing that is going to help starving children is the erradication of capitalism and cancellation of third world debt.

3. Jane Dee Summers profile image60

You are right Ryan, in theory yes!

But we can't do that on hubs.

In order to understand their plight, we have to experience it!

1. 0
      ryankettposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Sorry, I'm sure some will be up for it, but I can't see how not eating for a day is experiencing their plight. Eating nothing but leaves and grass almost every day (they are even running out of that), drinking brown murky Cholera plagued water, and living every day knowing that a Mosquito could give you malaria at any second. Living amongst the highest death rates in the world. With no escape, no mummy and daddy with credit cards, in fact probably no mummy or daddy at all. That is experiencing their lives. Add no education, no healthcare, no security. Children will actually be getting the wrong impression if they think not eating for 24 hours is even 0.01% of the hardship experienced in many third world countries.

If anybody really wants to help people in the third world, then donate $10 to an applicable charity. That $10 will buy a Mosquito net. If you really want your children to sacrifice something for the third world, then tell them that they must buy a Mosquito net for every Console game that they buy. Maybe they could even assemble Nike shoes or roll cigars for 50 cents a day, for 20 straight days, 18 hours per day...... that would pay for a Mosquito Net.

4. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 7 years ago

This may seem a nice thought, but not for me. I have experienced hunger and thirst. I feel no compulsion towards feeling them again even to this degree. Real empathy with starving children means the will to political change. smile

5. Jane Dee Summers profile image60

I don't think starving children have a internet connection or CNN, do you!

It's about awareness.

Good God don't tell me Ghandi died in vain.

1. 0

No, and they dont have Mosquito Nets either, so why not get your kids to do something useful to earn $10 instead of moaning for 24 hours about not being allowed a chocolate bar?

6. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

My grandma met Ghandi. Her parents knew him. He really was everthing he was perceived to be, apparently.

And as for you intention - it's not a bad idea but I also understand where the others are coming from.

And sending money to charity won't necessarily help either - how much of it really gets through? Was it ryan that said cancelling third world debt is the answer? He's not wrong.

Ghandi only died in vain if third world countries remmain in their current state - nothing to do with whether individuals fast.

7. Jane Dee Summers profile image60

Dearest Ryan,

Do'nt attack the hubbers children. Children are the innocent, we also can't blame Santa for Sony's greed. However, if Sony advertises on your site's won't you to be making money?

But I do take your point, children have to be made aware.

1. 0

Yes I do make money, I am torn between being grateful for being able to make the money required to survive comfortably within my society, whilst my conscience is fully aware of who pays for my materialistic life full of greed.

But that is precisely why I believe that it is important that those things that we can do are actually beneficial. I am not attacking any children Jane, I am actually attacking any adult who believes that a 24 hour fast is going to do anything whatsoever to help people in the third world; and for what purpose?

So that it 10 years time they might decide to donate $10 for a mosquito net? I am a supporter of action over words (or sentiment). I donate $10 a month to a charity for the very thing that I am advocating, I have done that for 29 months now. When I find a job I will make this $30 per month.

That is 29 people in Africa who will probably not now die of Malaria. I do not need to think of Sony whilst I am donating, in fact I could use my girlfriends Sony Viao laptop whilst donating. Maybe I will stop donating my $10, and start telling everybody to not eat for a day instead?

That is my argument.

1. 0

Maybe your children could do a sponsored fast? That way they can make money from it, which they can subsequently donate to their chosen charities. That way your kids are becoming aware, but those that they are becoming aware of..... are actually  benefiting in some way. I will give them $5 to their chosen third world charity if they do it. Thats a start.

1. emievil profile image85
          emievilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Uhm Ryan, if I fast for one day, will you give the $5 to my favorite charity? This one is for the elderly, not the children though sad.

1. 0

Blimey, I am unemployed. I will stick with sponsoring some children for now; and then when I have a job I will promise to donate to your charity emievil.

This is actually for those dying of starvation, malaria, and aids in the third world..... not for American children wink

1. emievil profile image85
              emievilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hey thanks. I'll hold you up on that smile. Donation or no donation, really hope you'll find a job Ryan.

8. cindyvine profile image84
    cindyvineposted 7 years ago

I agree with Ryan.  fasting by itself will achieve nothing.  Your hunger pains will not change the world and will in no way give you an insight into what children who are emaciated, lost both parents to AIDS and have been starving ever since they were born, are feeling.  A sponsored fast is a different thing, and there are many charities you can donate money raised to.

9. emievil profile image85
    emievilposted 7 years ago

Or write a hub and donate your adsense earnings there to charity, which is what I'm hoping to do with one of my hubs.

10. Jane Dee Summers profile image60

Ryan you don't have to fast, but we will be thinking of you!

Fasting is also a pardon.

Now I'm getting too heavy, even for my own good. I do prefer my eggs funny side up!

Let's do the fast on hub and get noticed.

There is good in all of us!