jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

French Version ?

1. thecounterpunch profile image58
    thecounterpunchposted 9 years ago

Why not a french version of hubpages smile

2. Maddie Ruud profile image81
    Maddie Ruudposted 9 years ago

Parce que les americains sonts gros, cossards, et egoistes.

1. TommyGuy profile image60
      TommyGuyposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I really don't understand a sinle word of this Maddie, but you sound soooo sexxy wink

1. thecounterpunch profile image58
        thecounterpunchposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I will keep your illusion: I won't translate ... big_smile

2. thecounterpunch profile image58
      thecounterpunchposted 9 years ago in reply to this

cossard is french slang from a region called Vendée so it is probable not all french would understand it wink

3. Maddie Ruud profile image81

Ha.  If you knew what I was saying, you wouldn't think so.  But everything sounds so much nicer in French...

4. hedgeek profile image60
    hedgeekposted 9 years ago

As the Merovingian said in the Matrix: "French is the best language to swear in.  [stream of french curses] It's like wiping your *ss with silk."

5. Maddie Ruud profile image81

That's an awesome quote!  I love it!

6. Chuck profile image87
    Chuckposted 9 years ago

I suspect that this is a matter of economics.  English is the most widely spoken language in the world given that it is the common language of global business as well as of science and technology.  Because of this the best way to reach the largest global audience is by publishing in English.  Also, the Google search engine has a translate option that will translate a page into other languages (including from other languages to English).  There are also other sites that will translate web pages for a reader for free - granted, the translations are not perfect but, in my experience, are more than adequate.

I checked the HubPages Terms of Service and could find no requirement that  Hubs be written in English.  From the examples above (which I recognize as French but don't understand - the last time I tried my college French in France the hotel clerk thought I was speaking Dutch and suggested we try English) it is obvious that HubPages will accept French.

My suggestion would be to write some of your Hubs in French or other language of choice.  The only problem I would see with this would be that the algorithm that calculates the hub score might have a problem, but you should be able to get around this by adding an additional text module with an English translation.  Best of all you would reach an even larger audience by including French speaking (or other language) as well as English speaking readers.

working