jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Spam with nonsensical topics/posts?

1. moanalisa profile image61
    moanalisaposted 6 years ago

My understanding is that this is against the ToS. Yet I see a huge amount of it going on.

2. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago

sadly it'll always go on...all you have to do is report it and the Hub team will delete the post. Nothing more we can do sadly.

3. 0
    Janettaposted 6 years ago

spam on the forums is generally considered to be anyone posting  (usually multiple) outgoing links to another site. Sometimes they just add to a topic or they start one on their own. And, yes this is against TOS and is what the 'report' button is for in the lower right hand corner of a post.

While "spam' has a number of definitions around here, "nonsensical" is pretty vague. Depends on what you mean by it.

4. moanalisa profile image61
    moanalisaposted 6 years ago

I understand your thoughts about outgoing links, but it's the repeaded rediculus posts and questions that generate numerous posts without contributing to a community. I feel many of them are merely fishing for info, more fans, etc, without really making any sort of contribution.

So from here on out, it'd be appropriate for me to report half the posts here for just that?? Wow, what a task...need some solid moderators to deal with it, no?

1. 0
      Janettaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

no--only report posts that deserve it. A post or topic that you just don't like isn't grounds for reporting it. It may be nonsensical to you, but not to others. I have a feeling you're talking about the "number" or "word game" topics--if so, that's what the Sandpit was created for. So reporting posts such as these would do you no good anyway. The hubteam knows they are there

1. moanalisa profile image61
        moanalisaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Nah, I believe in freedom of expression. I also believe in our rights to not have people post topics like "God--like or not" just for the sake of instigating debate and spammage. I have no intention of running around trigger-happy over various posts, but some are pretty obvious to me that the sole purpose is to generate some sort of karma here.

5. 0
    Janettaposted 6 years ago

And there are moderators. They leave those posts alone b/c there isn't anything wrong with them smile

6. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 6 years ago

Reporting posts to admin actually works efficiently.  It sends alerts to the moderators so that they can deal with it faster than if they try and read everything themselves.

And you get the option to report that something just needs to be moved to a better category too, which helps keep things much tidier.

1. 0
      BookFlameposted 6 years ago in reply to this

How do you report these things to admin?

1. Susana S profile image92
        Susana Sposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In the forums just click on the report button. If it's a comment on a hub mark it as spam.

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
        rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

just click on the report button and a drop down box opens, either highlight one of the specific reasons or highlight 'other' and give a brief reason for your report. HP is a small staff and they do need help with moderation of the forums.