"MAN," Doing what comes naturally?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (20 posts)
  1. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Isn't "man," just doing what nature demanded  "He" do to survive" i.e. KILL?
    If you offer an opinion, pro or con, pls back it up...ty  :-)

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nature is not a thing - it is a process. 

Man has evolved intelligence and with that intelligence we can see that killing is counter-productive to the continuation of our species, our children.

This is why the understanding of evolution v creationist discussion is so important - creationists believe in a cycle of events that is rooted in the old testament, a hierarchical outlook that teaches that 'our' group is supposed to win in the end, evolution tells us that there are no winners only a better or worse future depending on our actions today.  Simply put, evolution demands responsibility versus the irresponsibility and hypocrisy of creationism that looks back to division and justifies the vicious campaigns of its followers.

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

China Man:
        Creationism has no credability.
        I can't consider it to have anything to do with what my question entails.
        So I have to ignore that aspect of your response.
        Evolution is the function to consider. It is only "good" to those able to adapt.
        Man's genetic programming has been so indelibly imprinted by a necessity to "think" and react to survive and "he" is such a young bestial predator, that his success as a species can only be realized if he can, sublimate his "natural' propensity for the kill.
        Since Homo/sapienssapiens is a complex "organism," that genetic programming may take another 100k+ yrs to be realized.
        Personally? I think he has become his own worst enemy and will most likely be the perpetrator of his own catastrophic reduction.
        He will not become extinct, but will be so metamorphosed by mutation, that if he should come to power again, he certainly will not resemble the "human" of today.

1. profile image0

That is the whole point about intelligence it takes over where biological evolution leaves off; it gives us the chance to think our way forward and accept things that appear not to be 'useful' to us because we can reason through the problem.  This IS civilization - the reason why the fundies are a problem is that they are pushing us backwards, denying the next step that can take us 'above' all the crap we seem to have around us for no real reason.

And on evolution leaving us behind, we will always remain human in the way that monkeys stay monkeys in their niche in biology. If a superior being evolves from us it will not be us. I can't see it leaving us around though given the mess we make and the violence we create.

1. qwark profile image59

China Man:
            Pls point out one period of time in the history of "man" that can be referred to as a period of "civility."
            The last time I checked, the English definition of "civil," is "courteous/polite.
            The "hi level of technological and cultural development" I think you refer to as "civilization," has been dedicated to what? It has been profoundly involved in war, death and destruction.
            Today? We have created "doomsday' weapons that could destroy most extant life on the planet.
            We humans, have ALWAYS been involved in protecting ourselves from each other!
            The "intelligence" you speak of is being used in a very counter productive manner.
            Our ability to kill has become so sophisticated and deadly that one can kill without sympathy or compunction.
            The death of millions is just a matter of the tip of an index finger pressing a button on a computer keyboard. Then sitting back and sipping on a hot cuppa coffee while the sands of continents are melted into glass and the atmosphere is polluted for centuries.
            Answer my question: "Is Man Doing What Comes Naturally/"

1. profile image0

The concept of civilization has changed, the word as we use it only came after Johnson made his first dictionary.  Most sources can agree that civilization is the opposite of barbarity - what you are describing is barbarity and in this definition of the word the process of civilization is any progress against this type of behaviour.  Thinking provides man with the tools to overcome problems, barbarity is just a problem.

So there are two correct answers to  your question.
              Yes killing etc is normal for some people, they are barbarians.
              No killing is not normal for some people, they are civilized.

1. qwark profile image59

China Man:
                I like you, but I absolutely, respectfully disagree.
                You may think that the word "civility" has changed in meaning, but as an educated American, my dictionary doesn't agree with you either.
                Man is, by nature, an incipient, ignorant "beast." His history proves that beyond a doubt.
                He is not yet an "intelligent" creature by any means.
                He is groping his way down an evolutionary path that may end up with a return to the "stone age."
                There is no doubt that he is the most deadly, shrewd, efficient killer evolution has produced on this planet.
                The FACT that he evolved to this point in his history is proof that the anomaly "consciousness" and an unique ability to imagine and plan have brought him to this point in time when many others have disappeared forever.
                The ignorant masses far outnumber the evolved "thinkers."
                Monotheism has been the great fragmenter. It has been and continues to be the deadliest of concepts man has engendered in his short reign as master of this planet.
                It alone will deter man from ever coming together in concert to work to guarantee the viablity of the human species.
                it is much to late for that.
                We exist as primitive, lethal "barbarians" who function "subrosa" in our attempts to gain power and rule.
                It will end, disgustingly, with a blast as hot as the sun! Those who survive will parent a human species unlike that of any contemporary man.
                I would like to think as you, but reality, not idealism rules my thoughts....

1. profile image0

I said

You said

So you don't disagree actually ?   This issue was taken up a long time ago - I think by Wittgenstein - and he put out the thought that what we need is a new metalanguage, a system of language where civilized people can talk to each other , the internet actually goes a long way to fulfilling his 'desired system' what he did not envisage was that a few hundred years after the 'enlightenment era' half of our people would be firmly picking up stone spears and marching off to fight some thousands of year old war.

1. qwark profile image59

China Man:
                    Hahaha..the "barbarians" outnumer the (alledged) "civilized." Yes, the "majority" will rule.
                    Thanks for "hubbing" with me!   :-)

2. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

roll

2. Paradise7 profile image69
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

WTF??????  REALLY!!!!!!

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Do you mean in the context of killing to eat or killing to dominate others? 

I used to play the Age of Empires game. It amused me how quickly my ex would attack his neighbours to win territory and "protect" his settlement, whereas I worked happily on improving my society and was rarely bothered by them until quite late in the game.  My body count was always significantly lower than his!

Personally, I do think killing animals to eat is natural and don't have a problem with it.  I don't see why it's necessary to kill your fellow man though. In general, people do that to gain power, wealth or influence, which are not necessary to survival.

1. qwark profile image59

Marisa:
      ..both!
      Is killing so natural to him, since he's been doing it for millions of years, that he just can't change what comes naturally?

3. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

It is natural instinct to kill. Either for food or self defense or to reduce the competition for reproduction or resources.  Hopefully what makes us intelligent and different from other animals is that we have some self control over our natural instincts.

4. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

You know, weirdly enough, killing may be instinctive to HALF the human race, but growing things and nurturing is much more instinctive to the OTHER HALF of the human race...

I'm not familiar with too many women who are in favor of war at all...

I don't believe the best man wins a war, I believe the WORST MAN wins, the most ruthless, and it's a real tragedy for us all.

1. profile image0

I am - my experience is that when women get involved in these things they are far more aggressive and prepared to go to extremes more than the men.

Almost an aside - my sister visited China before I came here and told me that one of the things that left the biggest impression was all the MEN spitting.  I found the reality was that both men and women spit equally - she is a sweet gentle little old lady and a raging feminist.  We all see what we want to see.

2. qwark profile image59

Paradise:
      You are correct.
      Man is a "tragedy" heading for a place to happen.

5. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

Interesting topic.

May I ask both of you Qwark and China Man a question. It would be speculation, I realize, but both of you have said that you feel a new man or species will evolve from us. Either of you care to hazard a guess as to what the differences between it and us would be? Obviously I think smarter, but how so exactly?

Of course this is speculation, but speculation can be fun sometimes.

1. qwark profile image59

Hi Pandora:
      IF man is reduced in number by a cataclysmic nuclear holocaust, the radioactive cloud that will effect much of the earth's surface will cause genetic mutations, in surviving man, that cannot be imagined.
      IF man survives and dominates life again with a "conscious" mind, one would hope that he would understand the causes of his current condition and "desire" and "seek" to create an existence which would guarantee his continuing survival.
      IF man can, somehow, cure current systems and thought that so profoundly fragment him, he will genetically engineer new human species.
      IF he, man, considers future travel in space, he will HAVE to create a human "species" that can withstand the deadly vagaries in conditions that will greet him beyond the protective environment of planet earth.
      Good question Pandora....thanks  :-)

2. profile image0

Pandora - that IS a more interesting question.

The unknown is especially hard to consider because we tend to follow what we know to what we 'see' as a logical conclusion, one point.

There are wider possibilities, maybe we will evolve into caring people. A new type of human being who does not see anothers suffering as a chance to make a quick buck.

Maybe we will develop better social skills where others are more important than ourselves.

Maybe the prophesied natural disaster will occur, anything is possible, rebuilding governments might give us the opportunity to make better ones.  In a real disaster situation money loses all its value and so different people get to take charge for a while.

Maybe people get wiped out. There are any number of intelligent species to replace us but it is hard to see dolphins developing an interest in anything outside their own environment to promote higher reasoning, dogs don't have hands to be able to make anything, monkeys would seem to be the obvious choice but this thinking may just be because they are like us.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)