jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Nature's evolution

1. pylos26 profile image76
    pylos26posted 6 years ago

I have a question concerning Nature’s evolution…is it there to frighten off predators, or is it there simply coincidentally. I’m referring to the vivid bull’s eye that a particular butterfly portrays on it’s wings. Lets us pretend that the butterfly’s huge fake eyeball evolved into what it seems like it is, from resistance of some sort…but such resistance would not be tangible. How could it evolve a defensive device though nature without a tangible necessity? For visual effects look at “download jigsaw puggles.com.”  Gallery# 297

1. marinealways24 profile image60
      marinealways24posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Maybe it's there to get laid more often? Ever heard of breast implants or make-up? lol

2. goldenpath profile image81
    goldenpathposted 6 years ago

I know not, however, I'm waiting for the grass of the fields, blooms on the roses, birds in the air and waterfalls from the heights to all evolve into chocolate.  Of course there would have to be a civilization of Umpa Lumpas to protect it's sacred nature.  Ahhhhhh, nature's gooood! smile

3. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 6 years ago

I don't think anyone can say definitively.  I think nature's first imperative is survival.  Some creatures evolve features that make them look like leaves or sticks or even other animals, so they can prey on unsuspecting underlings.  Others have anatomical features that are a deterrant to predators.

The other physical evolution involves males sporting 'features' to attract a female..some of them quite colourful, i.e. South American birds.  It's also quite likely that many creatures see a completely different colour spectrum than we do, and can see others features that we can't..even with an ultraviolet filter.

Apart from the above reasons, there are probably many others that are known only to their species.

I don't think it's possible to fully understand animal behaviour.  I find the commentary on these TV nature programs either a bit suspect or laughable.  They're always making broad assumptions about various behaviours, while applying the same reasoning as human reactions to the same stimulous.  The animals may have very different reasons for reacting to certain situations that we simply could not understand in the same way.

4. kephrira profile image61
    kephriraposted 6 years ago

To frighten predators seems like a reasonable explanation. if they see what looks like a big eye then they may assume that it belongs to a big animal. But then they all have some kind of pattern, so it may be just coincidence that it looks like an eyeball.

1. aka-dj profile image79
      aka-djposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'll be keeping a close eye on this.