jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (10 posts)

question about etiquet

1. Falsor Wing profile image86
    Falsor Wingposted 6 years ago

Is the expression "go balls deep" vulger or has it entered common use like gypped or screwed?

1. alternate poet profile image77
      alternate poetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Etiquette huh!  hang on I will go ask our Queen who is the arbiter on these things big_smile

'Go balls deep' is marginally vulgar, 'up to your nuts in guts' is extremely vulgar but was common in the good old British Navy when I was there. big_smile

what is gypped ?

Falsor Wingposted 6 years ago in reply to this

yea well if i use my dads marine jargon anywhere other than around a bunch of vets who know my dad some shit's gonna go down. I'm gonna classify armed forces social morays as uncommon.

I realized I use the expression simply as a means of conveying an intent to go all out etc. I want to make sure I don't inadvertantly torpedo myself in a job interview or some such thing.

For job interview it is best to stay with classical expressions, I advise looking up the keywords and expressions around the job aimed for and use them as much as you comfortably can without over-egging it smile

why doesn't Google have a helpful interview optimization tool.

It does - put the job and the industry into Seaquake - choose the top listed words for your 'speechifying' and the most searched to go find the answers to the questions they are going to ask you ?

2. Rafini profile image86
        Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

jipped = taken advantage of , an unfair advantage (correct?)

yes, its actually a racist term. it refers to gypsies. essentially its the same thing as saying you got jewed out of something except that the expresions been used for so long most people have no idea where the term came from.

interesting stuff language - all history is in it if we can find it.  Thanx for that - I think I might try and work up an anti-racism poem now, gypped - nipped - whipped -

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i think gypped is politically incorrect and anything with 'balls' in it, such as the phrase you mentioned and 'balls to the wall' are inappropriate in some settings, regardless of common usage.

working