Please take a look

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. EyesAndEars profile image60
    EyesAndEarsposted 14 years ago

and let me know what you think - could I have done something better or differently that would make more sense?

http://hubpages.com/hub/Good-Old-Fashion-Values

1. LarasMama profile image60
      LarasMamaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great hub! Maybe to prove your point about how close to ruin we can get, you could quote some information about LTCM and the multibillion dollar hole they blew in the market?

EyesAndEarsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the reply.  um...I dont know what LTCM is...

1. LarasMama profile image60
          LarasMamaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Long Term Capital Management - basically a group of VERY smart nerdy guys got together and said they could "predict" the stock market. They were wrong!

2. Origin profile image61
      Originposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good article. I made a comment, it was a bit of a rant lol. smile

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"old fashion" is grammatically incorrect, since this word is an adjective and not a noun, which is what "old fashion" is.

also, it is a compound word, so it should be hyphenated as in "old-fashioned".

thank you cosette, I thought I had already fixed that problem. smile

2. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

Something not quite right with this sentence in your opening:
    "If your parents were born during the Baby Boom, you are most likely to know what responsibility means."  Maybe you meant to say, "If your parents were born during the Baby Boom, you most likely know what responsibility means."

3rd paragraph:  the word "wealth," probably would make more sense if you said "net worth"

Okay ... I've just gotten to the "Living in America" subheading, and at this point, though the facts are interesting, I'm getting a bit "annoyed" (for lack of a better word) that I haven't grasped the point of the article yet.  I even scrolled back up to re-read the title, thinking I was really off base somewhere.

The point is, I think somewhere before that section you need to better emphasize the point / topic, so the reader knows AS he reads, not later.

"This needs based assessment" should be "...needs-based..."  Otherwise, a person starts reading the sentence and hears a verb (needs) rather than the adjective you are intending.

The following gets the "Best Run On Sentence Award" smile
    "Meanwhile, the approximate 25% of the population living off investments and company sponsored retirement pensions raise the cost of the rental units they own, and the affluent portion of the 65% of Americans with an income from a 40 hour a week, or so, job manipulate Wall Street finances and the General Public into believing the economy has never been better."

(You really need to re-work that.)

Milesstones should be milestones (in a sub-heading)
    Repetetive should be repetitive  SPELL CHECK BEFORE PUBLISHING.

Use of passive voice:  "the Dow Jones had already dropped"  This is a bad habit for MANY writers, and is easily corrected.  Usually, just drop the word "had".  In your sentence, all you need is, "...the Dow Jones dropped..."

Okay, I just finished the entire hub (though I read quickly, as most people will).  Here is what is missing:  You need to fulfill the promise of your title.  I read a lot of facts, but you didn't connect those facts to the topic of "old fashioned values."  You've shown the growth of various economic statistics; now, fill in the blank. 

You've done what a lot of writers do:  You assumed.  Because YOU knew your point(s), you assumed the reader would connect the dots without instruction.  From a reader POV, though, we can't see the dots to connect them up.

Something like, "In 19xx, when the annual salary was $xx for a typical family of four, the pulse of America was yadda yadda.  Concerns for yadda yadda were the priority as opposed to yadda yadda.  Now that we lack these good old fashioned values, the statistics are drastically different.  For example..."

See?

You final two paragraphs are PACKED full of topic sentences from which you can easily develop the point of your hub. Rather than hooking them together in those paragraphs, separate them out, perhaps, with each sentence being the topic sentence from which you'll provide the details, examples, etc.

Something you might consider:  Use the link capsule.  Take advantage of the benefit you'll get by linking to other hubs using your referral tracker.  At the very least, link to one of your OWN hubs to keep your reader engaged and clicking away here on HubPages.  Provide links to sites outside of HP, anything that is relevant.

Hope this helps.  I can't sleep, otherwise I never would've done such a detailed critique without a personal request (or payment). LOL.

wow.  so helpful, thanks!  i hope i can figure it out and follow through...wow.
      the only reason i posted here was because I did a forum post to discuss these issues (after I published my hub - maybe I should have done it first lol)
      and the people who responded basically said what you said.  They didn't know what I was getting at, what my point was.  Thanks, again.

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I also found it hard to work out what your point was.

You need to give us an idea where you're heading in your first paragraph, to give us a reason to read on. 

When you write a business proposal, you have an "executive summary" at the top, which sums up what your objective is. I feel you need something similar here.

I also recommend you write your Hubs in Word so you can run a spell checker and grammar checker over it before you paste it into a Hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)