Why do people ask so many questions on hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Sparhawke profile image60
    Sparhawkeposted 13 years ago

Obviously it is a useful feature and it can take my mind down different paths that it had not considered...

But are there any hidden advantages to asking endless questions constantly?

I might expect such things from a newbie, but often they are from people with hub scores of 95+

It puzzles me, I am puzzled.

~~

(endless questions constantly...is that grammatically allowed?)

questions

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it also contributes towards a hubber score, one more way of participating in the community, as sometimes it inspires others to answer with a hub.

same with answers. if you answer questions either with a reply or by writing a hub, it helps to increase your hubber score.

every time someone participates in the HubMob, it is answering a question from Princessa. smile

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is that a question? If not why are you using a question mark? Is your question a general observation or do you want to know for a reason? Are you referring to the 'questions' section or the forum? Do you question everything? Can I ask you a question? Or should I just answer?

If I can think of any questions I will be sure to come along and ask you. Is that ok with you?

2. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

Many questions, comments and concerns are sincere.  However, there are many who love to incite others by repeating old posts or arguments.  Although stimulating to the mind these avenues are very unproductive and useless.  If one loves that kind of addiction it's all right there.  However, if you would rather be productive stay clear of these kinds of threads.

3. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

To Question All the Questions...That is the Question!

4. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

hugpages is allknowing smile

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or at least "all questing".

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Why are you asking?

1. mrpopo profile image72
      mrpopoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol that's what I thought too

2. BDazzler profile image78
      BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah, but why are you asking why?  And more to the point, why am I asking you why?

And now ... what is why anyway?  And how do we know what why is?

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Well, I was thinking along the line that people usually ask questions to get answers.

At least, that's the most obvious reason for asking a question. wink

lol lol lol

Sparhawkeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have seen some people ask 20 questions in as many as 20 minutes, on completely different topics...

Am I not allowed to ask why what would be seen as spam on any other site is acceptable here?

What is the point of flooding hubpages with thousands of questions in a matter of hours and killing off those that could genuinely be thought provoking?

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How about the fact that answering the questions in HUBS earns accolades and those who see a question and write a hub about it is just fine.

Sparhawkeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see I am going to have to approach my original question again and reword it more carefully to make sure there are no misunderstandings....

How would you like it if there was a serious question you wanted answering or needed answering such as how to change a bolt nut on a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere when you are too far away from an auto rescue truck service?

Would you appreciate the vast mass of spam all over the place where no one gives a damn about their questions and will never visit it again?

I like cartoons, do you like Alexander Lemming ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Alister ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Alvida ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Ann-Margrock ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Arnie Pie ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Arpine Lusène ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Axe-hand Morgan ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Baby Crockett ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Baby Face Finlayson ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Bellamy the Hyena ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Butch and Cassidy ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Buzz Lightyear ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Ludwig Von Drake?
          I like cartoons, do you like Marge Bouvier Simpson ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Marshall D. Teach ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Michelangelo ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Milhouse Van Houten ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Mickey Mouse ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Morlocks ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Nebby K. Nezzer ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Nemo .?
          I like cartoons, do you like Nero ?
          How do I change a tyre in the dark when stranded?
          I like cartoons, do you like Nina Einstein ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Oscar ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Pepe Le Pew ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Philip J. Fry ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Raphael ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Richard the Lion ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Rip Van Wink ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Rock Lee ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Rock Quarry ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Rubberduck?
          I like cartoons, do you like Scrooge McDuck ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Seymour Skinner ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Sigmund ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Stony Curtis ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Sweeny Toddler?
          I like cartoons, do you like Tony Zucco ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Tycho Brahe ?
          I like cartoons, do you like Victor and Hugo /?
          I like cartoons, do you like W.C. Fieldmouse?
          I like cartoons, do you like Wolfgang?
          I like cartoons, do you like Yankee Poodle?
          I like cartoons, do you like Yensid/?
          I like cartoons, do you like Yogi Bear?
          I like cartoons, do you like Snoopy?

Find the serious question in that lot, it may be an extreme example but it is close to what I am seeing...some people just do not care about their questions because they are so throwaway...shouldnt they cost something?

1. profile image0

I do just fine never visiting the questions section, so I am sure that you could do just fine by not visiting too? In fact I wouldn't even know how to get to that section, is it via 'Answers'?

The reason why Hubpages even has an answers section is simple. The questions are probably indexed in search engines, so people who search for that question will find Hubpages. From that section they may well explore the site, often via the profile of the people asking or answering the question.

So the best thing that you could do, instead of moaning about the questions section, is get answering the questions and one day you may hit the jackpot. Link to your relevant hubs in the answers, or even just make your answer interesting so people think "oh who is this man".

The people who ask lots of questions and answer lots of questions do so for traffic. Spam or not spam? Probably spam, but probably effective at times nonetheless.

That is my take.

2. mrpopo profile image72
        mrpopoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There should probably be some regulation in terms of asking "spam" questions, then.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Some people don't understand the question area. Some think they will earn money from it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I think that's a major reason for some of the Hubbers who ask ridiculous questions.

Some Hubbers assume (wrongly) that having a high Hubberscore earns you more money, so they go all out to achieve one.  Unfortunately they choose all the wrong things - following people, asking questions, etc, everything but writing long, good quality Hubs!

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

AND.... Some Don't

They answer or ask questions that provide incentive for others to write. It is a good feature here and a positive one irrespective of the opinions of those who choose not to use it hmm

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The OP was complaining that those genuine questions are getting drowned in the mass of stupid questions asked for the sake of asking - we were just suggesting why people might be doing such a silly thing.

8. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

There are certain benefits of asking questions in your related knowledge area that you have already published your hubpages under, with relevant hublinks of your own hubpages if you target the right keywords and plus what a few people do is answer their own questions to become the experts in that area....it's all time consuming, but it could work internally for some extra traffic.

1. profile image0

I see that as spam to a certain degree, whilst Answering questions with links to your hubs is a different thing altogether! If somebody demands, it is only polite to supply wink

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see it as spam, but I would do it if I had the time and I could pull it off properly, but alas no, I'm trying to get to 1,000 hubpages by the end of the year and I is falling behind!

9. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Supplying a Hub to answer a question posted would be considered SPAM, if the hub was written before the question was asked.

Meaning, the question could have been asked before, and someone wrote a hub about it.

HubPages prefers that people write NEW hubs to answer new questions. wink

10. jondav profile image69
    jondavposted 13 years ago

ermm, i forgot, what was the question?

roll

11. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

if I see a question on my feed that isn't ridiculous and I can give a decent answer, I answer it, otherwise I don't bother.

12. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

Many of them are coming from the HubGreeters.

I wrote a hub answering a question that was asked by a hubber who was welcoming me.
    It gave me something to get started with lol

The question was: what is your favorite science and why
    In a list of questions, this one looks ridiculous. But it was directed at my account. I knew it was being asked of me specifically. That isn't very obvious to other hubbers who see the question but can't see who it was directed to.

http://hubpages.com/elite/

smile

Good point Jen! smile tongue

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)