Written LATE last night...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. W. Christopher profile image71
    W. Christopherposted 13 years ago

What are your thoughts? How can I improve it?

Mesothelioma

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Well, to start off, I would have to say it is a good subject, but the title is a bit much, as is the opening part??

(a) the article is too short, add more content.
    (b) add a couple of more keywords/tags.
    (c) try not to put polls after your comment section.(if you receive a lot of comments, your poll could go unanswered, because people just posted a comment in your comment section)

Just my thoughts on it. smile

W. Christopherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Cagsil!

Did 2 out of 3... Will think about the add more content thing. It says that I have 384 words... Don't want it to get too wordy... and from what I've read, 300-500 words is best on HubPages. Is that right?

Any more thoughts on it?

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, more content is better. I am unsure where you read or heard about 300-500 words would be good content. It would actually be considered sub-standard for HubPages type articles, except for poetry, which gets a free pass on word count.

The most accurate word count about 600+ or more than that.

Some professional writers say that GOOGLE loves content so much, that 800-1600 words would be best. smile

Oops... I remembered wrong... Paul Edmondson said 400-600...

http://hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Write_for_Search_Engines

I'll add some more, but how much... 12 more words to 400, or 212 to 600...

Hmm...

2. oscillationatend profile image59
          oscillationatendposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

The longer the article, the better. Actually, HP has a great guideline for qualifications that make a Hub money. I can't seem to recall where it would be, but a Hub with 2500 words+ and I think something on the order of ten (?) pictures or more, plus video.

Don't forget great tags and your own non-default "summary" field.

Wow. 2500+. That'd take me years! Haha. I did customize my summary.

I added a little more content. I'm up to 432 words right now. I might go back later and add more.

I don't want it to be a huge research project, just a "My feelings" type hub - I think.

2. lrohner profile image69
            lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are lots of successful old-timers on here that swear by around 1000 or more words for a really successful hub. I know that I often struggle with the right hub length, but haven't personally needed more than that (yet) to get Google love. And I always wonder if people are actually going to read much more than that unless it's totally riveting.

I'm pretty sure that Nelle Hoxie did some testing on this a while ago and don't quote me, but I think she netted out at 1000 to 1500 words as being the optimal length for her style of hubbing. And if it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me. smile

I'm just wondering then, why does Paul say 400-600?

Perhaps, the 400-600 word length is best for adsense? And, if you need to write more than that do a Page 2, 3, 4, 5?

I guess that I have a lot to learn, experiment with, etc.

1. lrohner profile image69

Really good question, and I think it's because 400-600 is just kind of an online standard. I know that I was always told that 700 is really the max that an online article should be before you start breaking it into two articles.

But there's been a lot of anecdotal evidence from hubbers on here that says more may be better. At the very least, it works for them. smile

Another number? 700? hehe...

I guess it would really just depend on how saturated your topic/keywords is/are already on the internet, and if you try to break through to the top of the search results.

Maybe there should be a guidebook published for Hubbers with specific guidelines for the "Types" of hubs they intend on publishing.?! smile

1. lrohner profile image69

LOL! Guidebook? Wouldn't that be a novel? smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
                Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suspect Paul's article was written a long time ago.  Things change (including Google's algorithm), as you know. These days, HubPages want much longer Hubs.  Their Flagship program (where they make an upfront payment for a Hub), demands 1,500 words - - and their contests are judged on similar criteria.

There have been experienced Hubbers in recent months who've played around with length and reported that longer Hubs do better.  There are also reports that three or four shorter Hubs (400 words) interlinked to each other, are just as good as one long one.

2. oscillationatend profile image59

I took a looksee and I can't add more than what Cagsil has to say.

More media, more facts, what not have you.

I like how you share your personal view and story, but perhaps it can be done better. While this is totally off topic, I really like how this hub was done by PeggyW:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Old-Timey-Sweet … m-the-Past

3. Origin profile image59
    Originposted 13 years ago

Going after the big payout keyword? tongue

Well, I've read that it is. But, I've yet to discover that. The ads really do annoy me on television and radio.

1. oscillationatend profile image59

There's so many adds for that stuff, and so many adds for diseases and drugs in general.

Maybe you can make this into an anti-pharma ad hub? smile

That's an idea... Anti-Pharmacy Ad Hub... hmm...

4. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

I would think the 400-600 as the minimal length is good but best if above that big_smile

As for your article..I would think of it as misleading since it's not about mesothelioma at all tongue but personal rant against advertising. Very well done too, big_smile

misleading?

5. Dame Scribe profile image57

Hi W. Christopher smile yes, misleading. I already said, it isn't about the disease at all..its a personal rant against the advertising of the illness. No offence intended. It's well written and presented. smile

I don't believe it's misleading, because it is about it. Is it not? smile

And thank you for the compliment, by the way! smile

Oh, and I don't take any offense. I'm just absorbing criticism. smile

6. Dame Scribe profile image57

I dont think there's really anything substantial in regards to the disease itself and maybe that's what is missing. Just give the 5 Ws and 1 H (why, what, etc), pro's n con's of a lawyer maybe big_smile just some thoughts.

I appreciate your thoughts, Dame Scribe. I will look into it. I don't really know if that's the angle I was going for, and really if there was really an angle. I do think you hit the nail on the head when you said "rant" earlier. smile

But, as I said, I'll look into it.

Who - lawyers?
      What - mesothelioma?
      When - all too often?
      Where - on television and radio?
      Why - yup, why?
      How - via annoying advertisements?

smile I don't know that I should look into it with more detail... hehe. smile

7. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

W/o reading the whole thing, I just  want to point out you have a snowballs chance of ever having that hub seen (mesothelioma!)

Id say - 200 views this year - 98% Hubpages based

on the content length thing - w/ the feeds hes using its a decent length.

5 300 word articles is just as if not more likely to gain the same amount of traffic as one 1500 word article - there is no magic length

you seem to have figured out the high paying keyword aspect - but competition is far more important metric to understand

Why not read the whole thing? smile

I know, it's pretty saturated, but I wanted to put my opinion on it out there. smile

Um, I'll cross my fingers?!? smile

I know a little about a little, if that makes a little sense. smile

More importantly, thanks for taking the time to comment on here! smile

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sorry - didnt read completely because the topic bores me - and Im not overly supportive of medical term profiteering - I rather have the most authoritative sources taking the high results.

I did look close enough to notice your layout and format which I did comment on

Understand.
          Really, it isn't about the profits with this one. The tv/radio ads really, really, really annoy me!! It just so happens that I happened upon it being a potentially high-paying keyword.

And thanks for /siding/ with me (i think) on the length of the hub. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)