jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

The value of all Internet "property"

1. arthriticknee profile image88
    arthritickneeposted 6 years ago

There is an often asked question: "Should I delete my non-performing hubs?"

I recently had an experience that proves every so often even terrible works do well. I had a single page website I made when first learning about publishing online. It was fairly ordinary looking back with little or no SEO. It was averaging around 2 uniques a day for the last year and continues to do so.
    The site had an affiliate link to a sports goods company.
    Last week I noticed someone had used that link and gone on a spending spree. My comission totalled $135 for the day. They must have been buying for a whole sports team. I had forgotten about the site and had i remembered would have been tempted to get rid of it.
    It is not a hub but the same applies. Any site, even the worst can make money. Obviously affiliate sales such as this are the only way a site with negligible traffic can hit a big pay day. The lifetime adsense from the site is probably well less than a dollar.
    Unless a site or hub is making you look bad, fix it or leave it alone. Why throw away your lottery ticket? One day you might just win.

2. Ohma profile image82
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

Very nice story. Very good lesson.

3. ilmdamaily profile image93
    ilmdamailyposted 6 years ago

True! True!

Setting up a hub is often a one-time effort. It costs nothing to leave it up. Not sure why people take them down.

4. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Agreed.  I could never figure out why people took down under-performing hubs.

I have a hub that got something along the lines of zero to five pageviews per day for the longest time. And then one day I noticed that it had hundreds and hundreds of pageviews. Turns out that the subject of the hub (not the hub itself) had won some big national contest and it was all over the news. That was six or seven months ago and I'm still getting a couple of hundred pageviews per day on it.

You just never know... smile

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Totally agree! I've only ever deleted one hub (I was new and was treating it more like a place for short blog posts!).

I've had a few mediocre hubs have very few views then a random visitor will throw the link on a forum and I'll get quite a few views for a few days. smile You never know!

5. Rafini profile image80
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

Nice personal success story. smile  Now I know I'll keep my hubs up even if I ever decide to be less active.  Thanks for sharing. smile

6. Ultimate Hubber profile image80
    Ultimate Hubberposted 6 years ago

I liked your story. I too am against deleting hubs unless the conditions you posted occur.