jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)

people putting smileys in negative commentary

1. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

it annoys me when people post negative or even mean comments in forum responses but they pepper them with smiley faces. why not just be honest and give it to 'em straight instead of bein' all smarmy and putting smiley faces in there? is it so you can say 'aw, i was just joshin' or something?

thank you. this concludes this public service announcement

"Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time -- a tremendous whack." -Winston Churchill

" If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver." - some anonymous guy

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Why do people post saying they are annoyed instead of admitting they are clueless when it comes to the concept and usage of sarcasm? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused005.gif

Note: the above is a sarcastic post.  this information has been provided as it is obviously helpful to some.  http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angelic002.gif

2. snagerries profile image75
      snagerriesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

big_smile big_smile

2. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

lol lol lol lol lol lol

3. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Don't you think a lot of the times when they do that they're making a "wise" remark or trying to be funny and sarcastic and add the smiley to let people know they aren't serious?  Isn't it kind of the way friends may rib each other in offline life, I wonder?

4. swapna123 profile image77
    swapna123posted 6 years ago

A smiley just indicates that we shouldn't be taking their statement seriously. It is a tool to prevent any further argument and to let others know our state of mind..

5. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

hmm, interesting. 

the onliest thing is, i see people saying some really serious-sounding, even mean things and then they go and add a few of these lol as in 'Wow, you really are a vapid lunkhead (smile, smile)'. i don't know, that just seems smarmy to me.

anyway, thank you for sharing your thoughts on the matter.

6. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

I think the meaning depends on the person posting.  You know?  Like, after you get to know them and their personality then you understand the meaning behind the smileys if they're in an unusual spot, that is.  big_smile

7. Pandoras Box profile image82
    Pandoras Boxposted 6 years ago

8. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

Oh, people are evil...

9. skyfire profile image74
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

One old peon in my college once told me-"if you're getting too many negative/sarcastic comments then you're doing great".

If you want to win over negative person then do something that pisses him off, either that guy will exhaust with anger or will leave the ring. In either case you win - (Wisdom of Sky 14:2010) lol

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I like it, but don't get it.  lol  hmm

If you do something to piss someone off so they are exhausted from anger or have left, then how have you won them over?  Sounds to me like an invitation to another battle tomorrow. hmm

10. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

you have to admit, some of the posts really are rather 'out there' and sometimes we just say what seems fitting whether it be sarcastic or funny. I don't take too much forum speak seriously unless someone is sharing a difficult situation, like their mother is dying, a son in trouble..
    we all arrive here in different moods..