jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Back Linking to Your Profile Page

1. Benjimester profile image89
    Benjimesterposted 6 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone ever leaves back links to their profile page on HP.  I've really not done it myself, but I can see how leaving back links in hopes of building a higher PR profile page might help pagerank to filter down into individual hubs.  But I don't want to do it if it won't be worth my time.

1. readytoescape profile image60
      readytoescapeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I do it on every hub, as a convenience for the reader, rather than require them to scroll back up to the top of the page, which they are not as likely to do.

I employ a “hub close” text capsule that includes links to my profile and other hubs
      as below:

“Thank you for taking the time to visit.

If you derived benefit from or gained any insight from this article please click the green button below. If you are so inclined, all comments are welcomed.

Links to other articles I have written related to this subject are listed below. A Listing of all my work can be reviewed by clicking here or on my profile at the top of the page.”

For me this appears to work pretty well.

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

I don't really see the point in it, myself.

Backlinking is about pushing something higher in the SERPs, and that would mean you're trying to push your profile high - and your profile has no real value.

Whynot just work on individual hubs?

3. TerryGl profile image60
    TerryGlposted 6 years ago

I agree with Wrylilt

A far better way is to promote your profile pages rss feed. That way all your efforts are promoting your hubs as well as your profile. In fact, if you promote your rss and mix it up with other rss feeds you will be doing what you want to do, but instead will have one two and three way backlinks.

What I mean is take your profile page rss and submit it to the rss aggregators. Go to feedburner and put your profile page rss feed in there and make a feedburner feed. (Can you now see the two way backlinks being made).

When you submit the feedburner feed to other rss aggregator sites you are then making three way backlinks.

Clear as mud, but oddly enough it works and will give you your desired results. High page rank profile page with page rank dribbling through to your hubs.

1. Benjimester profile image89
      Benjimesterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Very cool.  Thanks for explaining that tip.  Thanks the rest of you all for your thoughts.  I think you're right.

4. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I have lists of links to where someone could find my writing on my blogs, and in some of them I've included the link to my HP profile.  When I've done that, it hasn't particularly been to promote the profile page (and I do have the HubPages widget on the blogs).  It's just a matter of, "Here's a list of where you can find my writing."  I figure if, on the off-chance, someone were interested in what I, as the writer, write (as opposed to be interested in one, specific, Hub's subject) they may want to browse whatever they find on any of the links.  I've also added it to some other sites I'm a member of. 

For me, it's never been about trying to promote my profile page.  It's been a "customer/reader-service" type of thing for someone who may be interested (and I don't delude myself into thinking all that many people would be all that interested  lol )

Jokes, half-jokes, and make-sense issues aside; as a writer the one thing I'm always thinking of is aiming to provide convenience or service to any readers, as well as (hopefully) providing good reading or entertainment (or whatever)in the writing, itself.  Even though what I write on here is spare-time writing, and it's not my "real" work; I do carry the "customer-service" mentality with me from my "real" writing situation.