So two of my most potentially profitable Hubs got flagged for Spam. I received the email this morning which basically said that my Hubs were "Promoted through spam or abuse of other sites"
Here are my questions
1) If it is commenting spam, then the usual response by holier than thou hubbers will be that we should read the TOS of the blogs that we comment on. That is like saying that you should read the fine print of everything you get involved in. How many of you read the TOS of every blog that you leave a comment on? Seriously? If you did do that, then how much time would you have to spend per comment? How much would you actually get done?
2) I would like to know how HubPages distinguishes between self promotion and sabotage? So if I am trying to compete with a Hubber who I dont like, all I have to do is leave a couple of hundred spam comments with a link to their hub and they will automatically get pulled? Anyone can put a link to my Hub anywhere.
3) What is the line between promotion and spam anywhere. I have been extremely careful in leaving blog comments that are totally not spam. I read every post and write atleast one intelligent paragraph in the comments section. I am very very sad that this happened.
4) Stick any successful Hubbers link into site explorer and you will see that most have created blogs expressly for the purpose of promoting their Hubs. Is this not spam? Or are you only a thief if you get caught?
5) I got called for spam on two Hubs that I have not even promoted for a month or so. Now I am scared of promoting any of my Hubs at all. All the work I put in today could come back and bite me in the butt months from now.
I am done with this too much of my work has gone down the toilet because of this. I would like a response from Hubpages management and I would like to ask them specifically what site that I have allegedly linked from constituted spam. I dont understand why they cant disclose that so if you have made a mistake you dont repeat it.
I don't, but then again, I don't go commenting on blogs for the express purpose of promoting my hubs.
True. If that happened to me, I would email the HP team and they would work with me to straighten it out. Pretty simple.
Absolutely not true.
Just my two cents, but perhaps you should have emailed the HP team before you went off on a rant in the forums?
I'm sorry this has happened to you, but the best way to deal with it is to email the HubPages team directly and ask them to be more specific. I'm sure if you've made an honest mistake, you'll be able to get them reinstated.
I suppose it's possible some other site has complained about you for (what they see as) spammy comments? The only way to find out is to ask. Best of luck.
One would hope that if site X contacts HP about abuse, that it's plain from IP logs or Adsense code or other profile data that the person at X and the person here really are the same person, but HP has yet to make that clear. I think they should.
However: you also asked
And that would make me think that you might very well be running around dropping link spam comments at every opportunity. My answer would be that anyone leaving honest comments isn't worried about how much time it takes them to understand the TOS, so possibly you deserved what you got? Just a guess based on your question.
But you are posting in blog comments.
Are you putting a link in the comment itself?
Yep, I agree to Marisa and Lisa - work with hubpages team to solve it.
Yes work with them.
I had an issue a couple of weeks ago, sent a friendly e mail and it was resolved.
Thats the way to do things round here as we are all liable to misinterpret and make mistakes ( thats us and the hub pages team too) lets face it look at all the spam they are trying to defend us from a daily basis- just flagged a load of forum posts up as they are spam
by DK4 years ago
This forum is a place for you to post hubs that you think are clearly of low quality and need flagging. Committed hubbers should follow this forum and check these hubs posted for quality when they have the time. If a...
by James Paterson4 years ago
My Hubs seem to be the target of spammers tonight, anyone else having the same problem?, thank goodness hubpages is recognising the spam before it gets published.....jimmyMaybe catchpa for non members?
by tatkison9 years ago
Hi,My name is Terry, and I established my first hub about 24 hours ago. I'm very much into Affiliate sales programs and I wanted to share reviews and such of products I'd bought and use to help people decide where...
by Billie Kelpin2 years ago
I have several friends and family members who stated they would like to comment on my hubs, but don't want to sign up. I can totally understand their feelings. That's a turn-off to me on a website as well. What...
by NaomiR7 years ago
If we flag a hub, does it say which hubber put in the flag, or is it anonymous. I mean, could someone turn around and flag your hub to retaliate? How does it work exactly? Thanks.
by mariexotoni2 years ago
I know there have been some trolls on HubPages and I have already contacted the staff to see maybe if they could help me with my issue.I have an occasional guest commentor.. His messages are disturbing, but I'm...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.