What Happens at 6 Months?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. bogerk profile image71
    bogerkposted 13 years ago

I have read in a few different forums, Hub comments and Answer/Questions that you shouldn't really expect much success, at least financially, until sometime around 6 months on HubPages.

I'm just curious what happens around 6 months? Is that you will just have more quantity or by 6 months most writers have figured out the system?

Just curious.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

IF you write regularly for the entire six months and participate and learn, usually that's the point where you start to see more than a few cents in earnings trickle in and start seeing serious traffic, as your first hubs begin to mature. The average hub takes 6-9 months to reach good traffic.

2. ThomasE profile image68
      ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think part of the reason for the advice is that a lot of people come on hub pages, write 12 hubs, and then appear in the forum asking why they haven't made any money yet.

It is about mental attitude: if you decide to write a minimum of 1 hub a day, without regard to income, then in 6 months time you will have around 200 hubs, and if even half of them make $1 a month, well, that is a decent little hunk of income.

3. bogerk profile image71
      bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the great answers! I didn't think it was some sort of magic date, just seems to be the most consistent thing I have heard in terms of patience.

What is it about a Hub being aged that causes it to get traffic at a more consistent pace?

1. Urbane Chaos profile image91
        Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know for everyone else, but with my hubs, I've started to notice the same people coming back again and again.  I think that you start to develop reader loyalty, and as that increases, so does word of mouth....or backlinking, as the case may be.  I look on my analytics reports and show that quite a few people are coming in from gmail or yahoo mail, which tells me that my hubs are being shared with people of similar interest.

That also increases your page rankings in Google.  The more visitors to a site, the higher ranked that site will be.  I've watched similar pages fall down in rankings while mine have gone up, simply because I receive more traffic than those sites.

I always try to cultivate new readers all the time.  When I'm interviewing people, I hand them a card with my HubPage url on it.  So far, it's worked pretty good.. It just took me several months to get enough articles up to do that. 

Either way, that's my view on things..

4. profile image0
      cookingdivaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess a few of things can happen in few months to 6 months of time frame;

1. If you write one hub a day or week, you will have more hubs, your hub score, author score may improve
      2. Most of it by writing more and learning more from hubpage community
      3. People who follow you may link to your hubs, bringing you more traffic.
      4. Writing useful and unique and helpful information will have people keep coming back for more (hopefully)
      5. More people viewing, means more confidence in you, and more money as well.

2. Falsor Wing profile image59
    Falsor Wingposted 13 years ago

6 months isn't a set amount time it's not like six months to the second after you post something it makes money. 6 months is a ballpark figure for how long it takes to write enough hubs and learn better how to optimize them. After 6 months you should have enough data on your hubs activity to see what is and isn't working.

P.S. I'm newish too though so you might want a second opinion.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're spot on Falsor Wing.

BTW, did you earn much while you were away? How's your unimpressed turtle?

1. Falsor Wing profile image59
        Falsor Wingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

he's still totally #1 on the SERPS!

I've made about 17 bucks total and I think about half of that came while I was gone.

3. MissE profile image77
    MissEposted 13 years ago

When you hit 6 months your screen will erupt into a huge concoction of streamers and balloons.  Then the hard drive will start spitting out $$$$$!!!!!!!  What?!  Did this happen to no one else?!  Hehehehe.... J/K .  I think it takes hard work and patience to make money on here.  Read a lot of the old hubbers article about making $$$, write good stuff, backlink like crazy, and it will start to happen for ya.  Good luck!

1. Falsor Wing profile image59
      Falsor Wingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suppose It's just as well. if $$$$ started shooting out of my hard drive I think my laptop would catch fire.

2. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't "backlink like crazy"

Excessive backlinking can harm you and HP.   No, a half dozen backlinks isn't excessive, but many of us do less or nothing at all.  It really is not necessary.

4. CYBERSUPE profile image62
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Some very good advice here to those very new Hubbers. It takes time. I just loved MissE input. You go girl.

5. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

There's no hard and fast rule about when you'll start making money and how much. You could write a hub today that starts earning immediately and the next one you write may never earn you a dime. I have a hub that's been up for about 2 weeks and it's already made me over $10 in AdSense and a bit more on Amazon (without any backlinking).

Time is not a magic pill that makes your hubs start earning money, although hubs generally do begin to earn more as they age. But if you haven't chosen your topic well or done the proper on-page optimization, age may not help one bit.

6. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I agree with those who have suggested that six months isn't a magic number or "written in granite".  There are people who write the right kind of Hubs and don't take that six months before seeing much in terms of earnings (either on individual Hubs or else in general and across all their Hubs).  It's pretty common, though, for a lot of people (particularly those who don't focus on SEO-related stuff) to take a few months before seeing much going on, and then take another few months before earnings pick up to the point where there's a monthly payment.

Then again, there are people who say they've earned - like - $30 in a year.  So, it depends on the people, each Hub, how many Hubs they have, etc.  It also depends on whether they put much focus on Amazon or just go with whatever Ad Sense earnings they get.  The main message with that "six-months thing" is not to get discouraged at three months, to do what it takes to maximize a Hub's chance of being found in search engines, and to keep writing.  (If nothing else, quantity (of reasonably decent quality) ends up adding up to earnings over enough time.   smile  )

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Don't forget, you just hear that from the people who post in the forums. There's over 100,000 hubbers, most of whom never check in here - so there's no good benchmark for when people start to make money. And because a person doesn't participate here doesn't mean they aren't making money.

8. allpurposeguru profile image72
    allpurposeguruposted 13 years ago

I have been on HubPages for more than a year and am very disappointed with the money I have earned. I recently googled the titles of all of my 45 or so hubs. Not surprisingly, the ones I found on the first page of Google have the highest hub scores and the best readership. Too many of them, unfortunately, have title key words that are too general and thus too competitive. I wrote most of those for a competition last March. The hub scores range from 52-66, and readership for most of them is in the low double digits.

Having done that analysis, it appears that the best thing I can do to start earning money is not write a bunch more hubs, but fix some of the turkeys I already have. If people can find what I've written, then the hub scores, page views, and  hopefully $$$, will all go up. It should take much less time to revise one of those than to write a new one from scratch. And of course, when I do write a new one, it will be the sort of thing where I already own the first page of SERPs. I think I should also get in the habit of posting individual hubs in the appropriate part of the forum.

9. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I think that the longer you are on HubPages the more you build up an 'accumulated' knowledge of what works and what does n't for you and the hubs you write. If I can learn how to improve my hubs then anyone can as I have no great computer skills or tricks up my sleeve.

In the beginning ( supposing you have no prior knowledge of the subject) it is sometimes luck that you pick a good title and get the layout and keywords that work for you. You can learn lots from the HubPages learning centre too.

Later on it feels as if you are instinctively making better choices, but it is probably experience and acquired knowledge helping with the choices you make.

If I could tell myself only one thing at the start of writing here I would say get a good title for the hub and for me that is about thinking what someone would type into a search engine if they were looking for information on the subject.

I also use the 'title tweaker/tuner' page sometimes at a later stage if the hub is languishing and also consider the keywords (used in searches that arrive at the hub)suggested on the stats. on the individual hubs and if I think they will help add them to the title.

That's enough from me (probably too much), but I  hope it is of help someone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)