jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

Newby with questions

1. 0
    kcharbneauposted 5 years ago

Hello fellow writers!  I just signed up today to give this a try.  Figured it wouldn't hurt if it helps bring a little extra cash especially around the holidays.  Still not quite sure how to get around this site though or write an article on topics of interest.  Any advice or tips on how to get started or where to click would be great.  I'm only planning to do a few hours a week.  I'm a SAHM and still don't get alot of spare time (lol).  Thanks for any input.

1. sofs profile image86
      sofsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Welcome to HP, click on help at the top ,  right extreme read up the

You have all the information that you need . then if you have specific question post it in the - need help- ask section
      Best wishes to you!!

1. 0
        kcharbneauposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks so much!

2. 0
      cookingdivaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Try it slowly and write about what you know.

I have seen product based hubs tend to earn more money but you want to mix it up! Money may not come right away, I heard 6 months around is magic time, when you keep writing.

Sign up for adsense and amazon account and put those codes in affiliate section. Slowly income will increase. Good luck.

2. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

Let's just adjust the expectations a bit: if by "around the holidays", you mean "now", you will be extremely lucky and quite unusual to earn very much so quickly. In fact, you are most likely to earn nothing or close to it for at least several months.

It generally takes time to build enough traffic to earn any amount of money you'd care about.  Of course there are exceptions, but they are rare.

On the other hand, having residual income coming in steadily by next years holidays seems to be fairly common.

1. simeonvisser profile image86
      simeonvisserposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, with only three weeks till the holidays we can pretty much guarantee that you won't be earning enough (if anything) to be able to buy something. It takes time and persistence to know how everything works and to have enough quality content. In particular if you're only gonna work on it for a few hours per week then it's not doable. But if you're here for the long term then you can start earning quite a bit of money if you do it well.

3. katiem2 profile image61
    katiem2posted 5 years ago

Welcome and Best Wishes.

I must confirm it does take time and a body of quality work properly optimized before your will earn money.  There is a great income source here, I enjoy a consistent monthly income but it took me months and a lot of hard work before I began earning.

Be patient and work hard!  smile

4. 0
    kcharbneauposted 5 years ago

Thanks again for all the responses so far.  I realize money wont just magically start rolling in but I'm ready to roll my sleeves up and try a couple hours every night after the kiddies go to bed.  Being a SAHM, any extra income would help and luckily we already have most Christmas shopping done... yay!

5. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Welcome to HubPages! smile

You might consider- (a) writing a nice profile about yourself and (b) putting a photo in for your avatar or a personal picture.

That would be a great start. You've come to the forums, so that was a great step in the right direction.

I checked out your first hub and I would be doing you a dis-service, if I didn't tell you that HubPages written are not blog posts. Each Hub should be about article/magazine(type) in length. Giving your reader something of value.

You can use the search bar tool to locate "Hubs for Newbies" and find lots of Help. I have two personal favorites by Frogdropping, she's an awesome writer and a great lady. smile

You can also benefit from Darkside too. He covers HubPages.

If you have any questions, you can search the forums for threads on your question. I'm pretty sure it has been covered at some point. If not, then you're welcome to post a thread and get others to help.

Do try to enjoy your time here. smile

1. 0

Thanks for the advice.  Not sure I understand the difference exactly between blog and Hub topics though.  I'll try the pages you listed and hopefully that will help clarify.

1. Cagsil profile image84
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

HubPages- are Hub pages that are written like Magazine articles. A Hub should have no less than 400+ words(unless poems/poetry). smile

Blogs are just a short post, to initiate a discussion on a topic. Your Hubs will explore, evaluate and leave your reader with more.

1. 0

Great!  That makes much more sense now.  Thanks for the tip

1. Cagsil profile image84
            Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome. smile

6. saleheensblog profile image59
    saleheensblogposted 5 years ago

welcome and best wishes

where to click? nowhere. never ever click on your ads.

7. nlthomas profile image61
    nlthomasposted 5 years ago

In addition to what Cagsil has already said, you may want to add an image to your hub to make it more attractive on your profile page. Also, your hubs will be more appealing if the content is broken up into smaller sections. You can do this by clicking on the capsules on the upper right-hand side of your editing page. These include things such as text, images, video, amazon listings, polls and more.

1. 0

Thanks for the tip.  I've tried adding a photo but it won't show up for some reason.  I'll look again and try that.  Thanks.

8. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 5 years ago

even in the best case scenario - payout for any earnings will not occur until January.

your current "hub" - doesnt make the cut. Its at best the introduction to a longer piece.

Also, you are only taking advantage of one possible income stream.

look at examples of "successful" hubs http://hubpages.com/hubs/best/

try to emulate in style but not content (obviously)