Why should someone write on HubPages? Why You do it?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (40 posts)
  1. P Priyadarshana profile image78
    P Priyadarshanaposted 10 years ago

Was curious after seeing most of the long term - experienced Hubbers. So thought of doing some research. Topic explains it. Let's try to be truthful here. What really keeps you going on here on HP? Why should Hubpages be the First choice for any Writer? Please try to support your idea with everything you got. Hope this will be helpful for most of us, specially for the ones to join...

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Money.

P Priyadarshanaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Short and Sweet as always psycheskinner! Thanks for the comment. But for a while, I really thought there should be some other reasons for you to write here on HP. With all the knowledge you hold, is it the only reason?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sadly not any more...

And why is that?

2. earner profile image82
    earnerposted 10 years ago

It made me money.  Time -v- income = living wage.

Simple.

What I write has to make me as much money as if I'd gone out and found a "proper job".  It has to make me a full-time income that will pay my rent, bills, food, everything.  I live alone - it's only me that brings money in.

Hubpages was part of my bigger picture, but a significant amount of income -v- time it took to create it.

If it hadn't, I'd have stopped.

Thanks a lot for your feedback earner. Simply by seeing your name here, I can understand what you say...

And by the way you explained, and considering the time that you have lasted on HP, you must be making a decent income here on HP.

And going further, how was your first few days - weeks - months - year here on HP? Was did you build up your empire or how it built itself? When did money started to pour in? Sorry for being so curious. But these explanations will help a lot of newbies like me to gain more trust on HP itself.

Also, can you explain the 'big picture' with some more details? Even just a simple hint would be much appreciated.

1. earner profile image82
        earnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No.  I was making an OK extra income stream - I decided to dedicate more time to hubpages and tweaked/improved/re-wrote and wrote new content for 2 months full-time, expecting to see an uplift in that income commensurate with effort expended and meeting the new, higher, 'quality'.... and it's all just bombed.  If I'd had these results 6-7 years ago I'd have not bothered. smile

Now mostly "lurking" here to see how things are going .....

Thanks for the explanation earner. I think that sums it up. Means hard work, more hard work, and even more hard work! Think we newbies should follow under all you experience users' guidance, not repeating the regular mistakes done by any newcomer here on HP.

Well, I wish you a great journey ahead here on HP earner! May your future earnings catch up with the ones you missed!!!

3. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I am opposite of earner.
    I write here because I actually have fun creating hubs, I love writing, and it's a place I am constantly learning so much about online writing. I knew from the top that I would only make pocket change. This is not a source of primary income for me. It is a side gig I use to supplement my business and develop my online brand.
    After being here a year, I am just beginning to realize the earning possibilities and that has been fun, too, as my earnings begin to increase. It is icing on the cake. But realistically, I have a business to run outside of HP that pays the bills.

Someone like myself! Thanks for your reply janshares. I joined here hoping to improve my writing skills + wanting others to read what I write. I am not a native English speaker and that's one of the main reasons I joined this community. But after seeing the earning potential here on HP, I might actually try to earn something on the long run...

Well, it seems like even HP did not fill your pocket directly, it has helped you to get you almost at hand's distance with your money sources. We do everything for our advantage, it's a humanitarian quality. Whether we write for fun or write to earn, final result would be satisfaction. That's how any rational man would behave I guess.

Wish you all the best with your work ahead janeshares! May you earn more in and out of HP!

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, P and welcome to HubPages. I wish you the best. Learn as much as you can, cultivate patience and endurance. Stay positive.

Thanks again janshares... smile

2. CraftytotheCore profile image76
      CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Janshares. 
      Also, I was directed here by researching how to make money blogging online.   I hadn't known about HP until 2-3 months ago. 
      I write here because I think I have helpful experiences, not so much for the money.  Wish it could pay the bills.

4. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 10 years ago

Money is the bottom line.  Whatever it is that I do seems to work okay here for some reason.  I have no doubt if I focused as much on another writing site I could make a go of it, but the fact is it seems my time is best spent here at HubPages.  Even though I'm focusing on my own self-hosted site now, I still see HubPages as a valuable place to build my online content.

But what you really want to know is if YOU should spend your time writing here. smile  I believe if you take the time to learn about the business of online writing, SEO, keyword research, picking niches, analyzing your competition, and all the other boring stuff that goes along with online writing you can do just fine.  If you want to write  here without regard to any of that you might end up disappointed.  You may just want to do it for fun. Whatever.  The path you take is up to you.

Thanks for your comment and advise given Eric. Actually you left me nothing to ask in return - complete mind reader! Yah.. I think that  word 'YOU" should represent all the newbies here on HP. At the moment, I am just writing for fun during my leisure time. But after seeing what's really happening around here, it made me curious to dig deeper and explore the depths any new writer can achieve here on HP. Actually that is the main reason why I even started this tread here. For any newcomer, after going through this thread, they will discover the various opportunities available here on HP. They will understand the best suited way for themselves and lead their writing skills through that. In doing that, comments from all of the experience users are much needed! Thanks for sharing your wisdom here with us all...

5. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I do it for the fame it brings me... and the fortune, of course. You can never have too much of either and I get quite a lot here... or I will when I get my first payout. Let's see, I've been here going on a year so I'm thinking any day really. I try not to brag in front of the newbies.

Thanks for the comment Beth! Fame and Fortune, you will never get enough of those two for sure... I can understand the fortune, but fame? I see that you are surrounded with a great community, but what does it bring you in return? Money is buying power, fame is .....? Don't tell me you are a celebrity now or I will kill myself!

And good job done trying not to brag before us! You could have almost done it!

6. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

HubPages is the best game in town for posting full-length articles. As far as I know, all the other full-length-article-content-websites are a shambles.

Thanks for your comment paradigmsearch. That's a new point of view. What made you say so? Like, do you have any prior experience with other article content websites? Little bit of explanation and comparison would be great! Thanks again....

7. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I started writing here to help others and earn a little money at the same time. Later I enjoyed learning as a I reasearched. Then I started writing just for the money - bad idea. Now I am addicted to the site.

Thanks for your comment Barbara.. I'm afraid you kinda make me see my future here. Just started like that, and starting to get interested in what you have end up.. Why you said writing for money is a bad anyway?

8. agilitymach profile image92
    agilitymachposted 10 years ago

I write here for a variety of reasons.  First and foremost, it's a great platform for sharing knowledge and ideas with my niche audience.  I have been told in person and on-line by many, many people that my articles have helped them.  This is, indeed, the better than money!!!

I write because it goes hand-in-hand with what I do for a living.  I teach dog agility.  I don't have time in the limited one hour a week classes with my students to impart all of my knowledge.  This is a great place to supplement their training.

I write because I know there are beginner (and advanced) agility students out there seeking knowledge beyond what their local trainer can provide.  My articles are filling that void for many people.

I write in-part for the cash.  I don't earn a ton, but it pays for the dog's supplements. smile

I choose HubPages because it is the best "full length article" site I have seen.  I like their layout options.  I think their pages look clean and crisp - not cluttered and ad-annoying.  It best fits what I write which is full length informative articles.

And now - I'm off.  I have a class to teach tonight. smile

Thanks a lot for your complete explanation agilitymach. And yes, I too saw that you have achieved a so much here on HP. Your hubs are all well niche targeted and useful for the specific proportion of you audience. I really don't have any returning question to hit you back with, answered everything.

Wish you all the best ahead with your great work agilitymach! You will be a great example for the ones in the same shoes as you - how they can use HP for their advantage, providing a service for the community at the same time... smile

9. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 10 years ago

I no longer write hubs here - I've been here 6 years - for the first year or 2 I made good money - but the changes  from Google, and more specifically management here - means that I no longer write hubs.

The final straw was pretty much the email I received today - congratulating me  on my 6 year anniversary - and insulting me in the same short email I wrote about it here http://www.bubblews.com/news/1162249-ho … -customers

I say this in all honesty - if you are in it for the money - spread your wings

1. weekend profile image60
      weekendposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1!

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well written smile

3. agilitymach profile image92
      agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Kinda sensitive, aren't we?  I honestly think an e-mail reminding you not to put ice cream in the fridge is funny - but aren't there much greater things to get angry about?  IDK....world hunger...child abuse....animal abuse....war...

To spend enough time and energy to write a hub about a congrats e-mail that also says something a bit silly like remember not to put ice cream in the freezer is...well...being a bit oversensitive, IMO.

1. weekend profile image60
        weekendposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're obviously missing the point.

1. agilitymach profile image92
          agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, I'm not. smile

4. P Priyadarshana profile image78

Thanks for the comment Lissie. Valuable one indeed! Since there is already a conversation building up here, I won't interfere with it. Will let you pros work on that.

10. Dallas Matier profile image85
    Dallas Matierposted 10 years ago

Honestly, from what I could tell at the time, it just seemed like as good a place as any. I was on Squidoo for a little while, but I wasn't a fan - so, I thought that the type of stuff I wanted to write might do better here. I also write on Helium, for whatever that's worth.

I'll admit that I was won over, a little, by the 'success stories' that they used to have slapped on the front of the site - but, those are gone, now.

As for why I'm still here? Honestly, I'm not really sure. I mean, I'm not really part of the 'HubPages community' - I rarely post on the forums, and I can't say I know any of the other writers, here. I'm just a guy who wants a place to put up my reviews and other articles, in the hope that I might be able to build it all up into something worthwhile. I'm here and, for the moment, the idea of moving all of my stuff feels like too much of a hassle. Especially since it would also mean essentially having to start over.

Thanks for the comment Dallas Matier. Seems like you are a neutral writer, going with the flow. I really don't have a clear idea about those 'success stories' you speak of. Since you also told they are gone now, that should explain why I'm not aware of them I guess...

Even you don't like here much, still you write here for what? Money? Cause you can also publish your own work somewhere else right? Can understand you haven't moved everything out because it too much hard work, but why you still create new stuff? Just curious....

Wherever you'll be, wish you luck with everything ahead Dallas Matier!

1. Dallas Matier profile image85
        Dallas Matierposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The 'success stories' were a group of writers that were able to make a pretty significant amount of money each month through their writing on HubPages. Back when I started, they were listed on the front page of the site as a sort of "they can do it, and so can you" promotion to convince people to give HubPages a try.

But, with the constant changes to Google, it seems like it got to the point where none of them where making the money that they used to, because they weren't getting the traffic that they used to. So, HubPages couldn't use them to promote the site anymore, since it would be false advertising.

I never said I didn't like HubPages - just that I'm not really part of the 'HubPages community' you get on the forums. It's an easy site to use, and it gives me a place to put up my writing (even it I don't get all that much traffic). So, for now, I'm content to stay where I am.

Thanks for the explanation Dallas Matier..  I saw what's happening here too. It's like I joined here too late. Speaking of me, I'm trying to get more direct traffic by promoting my hubs via social media/ emails/ forums at the moment. Let's hope that things will turn out to be better someday soon for all of us....

Hope to see you more around here.... It will be nice.... smile

11. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

Money and groupies - its amazing how many women are attracted to fat middle aged men who write on the internet...

dream dream dream dream......................

Money is getting too hard to get lol

LoL! That's an interesting fact... Two Eagles with one stone I'd say wink I should start to gain weight now....

thanks for the comment..... smile  And hope your Income will raise too....

12. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

Joined just to get started. Then they changed the formatting and QAP. Old people like me do not like change so much. But they worked out bugs and made it easy to use. I am by no means a success story here. I think I would do better if I used all the accounts I have set up like adsense, ebay and Amazon.

But then this danged community thing hit. And I just really like it. On any given morning I can scoot around and read what I need for that day. I can vent also. And sometimes I get a comment that what I wrote had meaning to a reader. After a little over a year being active here I would say my writing has improved about 100%. So that is a pretty cheap or free school to attend to become a publishable author.

But I truly do believe that if I took the advice given me here and did this full time and had reasonable activity elsewhere to drive traffic here I could make a fine living. Just not ready to yet.

13. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 10 years ago

I have a morbid desire to write stuff no one reads...and to be in the proximity of all the Other normal people on this site...I also like to poke things with a stick...metaphorically speaking of course.........

14. incomeguru profile image95
    incomeguruposted 10 years ago

I was making good monthly income writing on hub pages, but something strange happened early this year. No more serious traffic coming from google , of course what do you expect? Low earnings.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)