jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Applying for "Overly Promotional" Exemptions?

1. kschang profile image91
    kschangposted 5 years ago

Here's a bit of a problem.

I write "app review roundups", usually for Android OS devices.

Instead of making one hub per review, I usually write grouped reviews, listing like a dozen, 20, 30 reviews per hub. And I include link to Appbrain, which is an unofficial library for Android apps.

My latest review hub was marked with the warning about possibly overly promotional, since I included like 10-20 links to Appbrain, but how else do I link to the apps? I can't link directly to Android market on a PC. Google does not allow that yet.

I guess I can switch to QR codes if Hubpages is that hot and bothered about linking to outside, but I think reviews that links to well-known download sites (download.com, for example) should be exempt the "overly promotional" warning.

1. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What was said below is correct.   Your hubs linking to appbrain.com should be all right, but if you run into trouble you can contact us.

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

Overly promotional applies to self-serving links. If they are not self-serving, an exemption seems in order and it would be worthwhile to contact HubPages to ask for one. Without contacting them, they may presume your links are self-serving.

3. CDL Career Coach profile image84
    CDL Career Coachposted 5 years ago

Warnings are computer generated, I guess some real person looks at the hubs that are flagged by the computer.  It sounds like a human could tell you aren't trying to promote yourself with the links.