Squidoo

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Brie Hoffman profile image61
    Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

Can I put my hubs on Squidoo or would that be duplicating content?

1. Randy Godwin profile image62
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

2. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages doesn't actually penalize you for having duplicate content on other websites  - however Google tends to hide the results of websites with the same content so there's no point having exactly the same content in multiple places - you can though create a parallel article that enhances your Hubpage.

3. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Squidoo is now starting to penalize lensmasters for having duplicated content.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so, I just wrote them a letter last week about one of my hub which was copied there and they responded to me saying that I have to check it out with the lens owner. There is no way to contact the lens owner and so I responded by telling them about it. They didn't answer my email. I emailed again and still no response. I don't think they are particular with duplicate contents on their site. I even told them that that the owner copied all his/her lenses. Guess google will get back at them in no time.

4. ImChemist profile image57
      ImChemistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can modify it so its not appear like duplicate.

5. kschang profile image86
      kschangposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've read some Squidoo articles and I am not too impressed with the quality of stuff over there.

6. Daisydot profile image61
      Daisydotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Squidoo doesn't like duplicate content - and if one of the community stumbles on your lens and finds duplicates, they will likely report you and your lens will get locked.

If you want to create a lens, why not write a fresh article? After all you've already done the research so it shouldn't take you that long.

7. lakeerieartists profile image63
      lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend it any not just on Squidoo but anywhere.

2. Brie Hoffman profile image61
    Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

After having read some hubs about Squidoo I think I'll just stick to Hubpages.

1. ChuckHuckaby profile image40
      ChuckHuckabyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I tried Squidoo a while back. I have been much happier with Hub Pages

2. Christene profile image58
      Christeneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What did you read that changed your mind?

3. Flynn the Cat profile image61
      Flynn the Catposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm a Squidooer who's trying to figure out Hubpages (just trying to diversify ;D I love my Squidoo), and I will say that most of the 'Squidoo vs Hubpages' articles I've read tend to have a lot of errors in (e.g. being 3 years out of date, that sort of thing).

4. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you're right and they don't remove duplicate contents in their site

1. Flynn the Cat profile image61
        Flynn the Catposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They do if it's reported.

1. lakeerieartists profile image63
          lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Squidoo's staff is small and does not always see duplicate content unless it is reported.  If you report it, they should take it down.

It doesn't happen instantaneously though.

3. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

It is hard to modify content so that Google does nto spot it, it is also bad SEO practice, especialy now Google is (or soon will be) expelling people from Adsense who violate copyright, removing sites from the Google rankings who use duplicate content, article spinners, etc.

The sites that have been cheating the system for the last few years are going to be in for a real shock over the next few months.

IM Chemist what is your background in Internet Marketing?

1. Princessa profile image81
      Princessaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like great news, I am fed up of having hubs copied in other sites.  Sometimes it is easy to have them removed, but other times it is almost impossible, so I take this as good news.

2. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thisisoli- when do you expect google to start doing what you have said.?

1. thisisoli profile image71
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Over the next few months.  Google has already made the PR Release about how Duplicate content has no benefit to people searching, and how it is nearly always a promotional tactic.  Article spinners are also far from safe. Bad grammar is penalized by Google, and switching articles and words around is really not fooling anybody, especially not Google.

3. Brie Hoffman profile image61
      Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thisoli:  Does that mean if we put links on other sites ..is that considered duplicate content?

4. steffer profile image60
    stefferposted 13 years ago

I am not approving duped content, but on the other hand, with millions of articles online, often it's hard to write unique content.

has ever one of you written a hub, a half hour to an hour of work put into it, you tried to make it as good as you can, you publish it, and then get a dupe warning on the fly.

Like Thisisolie says, it's hard to modify, on the other hand, expelling people who are using article spinners, seems stupid to me, cause you are creating new content, spinned or not, it's still unique.

I don't know, i'm just thinking that it's getting all harder these days.

yet, when people get banned from adsense, there are still plenty of alternatives, only to bad for so many people here on hubpages got banned from adsense and don't have an alternative like adbrite or chitika.

1. snakebaby profile image65
      snakebabyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Searching for something about squidoo, and found your answer interesting. I've never experienced hubs being detected as duplicate after I spent hours on it to write myself. If your hub is identified as duplicate by hubpages, then you must have used too much of content grabbed directly from other sites, or no way it would be looked as duplicate. It never happened to my hubs, except for few of my own hubs that I duplicated here when I had no idea hubpages didn't like duplicates, everything was basically original, I use very little of other people's original words.

5. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

it sounds like people are "spinning" their own articles...
    Google wouldn't know the difference...

6. profile image0
    Aleister888posted 13 years ago

I write a lot of articles, but i can honestly say i have never spun one, i believe very strongly in quality, and if i want to write about a similar topic on another website, i manually just re write it... sure it takes time, but its always unique ^_^

As for squidoo, i think its a brilliant website, but i have always preferred hub pages because of its clean website design.

7. Singular Investor profile image70
    Singular Investorposted 13 years ago

Squidoo is supposed to be useful for backlinks but I have always found it so slow that it becomes totally infuriating so I just go away and leave it alone

8. brandonhart100 profile image77
    brandonhart100posted 13 years ago

I use Squidoo for writing unique content that eventually links back here.

9. mymagicview profile image63
    mymagicviewposted 13 years ago

It would always be good to write unique articles anywhere over internet.

10. Vcize profile image60
    Vcizeposted 13 years ago

Just rewrite the same article again from scratch.  Even if you're not trying to make it completely different, it will end up different enough so long as you've left a couple days in between to clear your brain of what you wrote before.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)