Hub Scores Dropping?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (23 posts)
  1. gpower2 profile image40
    gpower2posted 16 years ago

Is it me or have the Hub scores been fluctuating more drastically the last week or so?

2. Veronica profile image68
    Veronicaposted 16 years ago

Last night every one of about 50 of my hubs dropped in hubscore anywhere from 5 to 15 points. It's still like that now, more than 12 hours later. What's going on?

3. Guru-C profile image75
    Guru-Cposted 16 years ago

I know how you feel.  My top scoring hubs, usually in the mid 90's, today are in the 70's and traffic's way down again.  My cat pee'd on the sofa, too.  I think I'll go meditate.

4. Lela Davidson profile image81
    Lela Davidsonposted 16 years ago

Mine too, but my HubScore is the same.  Individual Hub scores way down.  What's up?  Also Google Adsense has been way down all month.

5. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 16 years ago

Don't worry friends, it will stabilize in time. I was complaining the whole of last month because it was experiencing a roller coaster ride!!! then slowly it became stable. Now my score seems to be ok.

6. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 16 years ago

We updated the HubScore algorithm yesterday.  There will be some adjustment.  If you think you see something that looks off, please report it with a specific example and we'll take a look.

In general, this should be a big improvement in the stability of scores and additional things that have been added to the score.

7. Daryl James profile image60
    Daryl Jamesposted 16 years ago

hey i'm new to this all...but what is the purpose of the hub score? I'm guessing it's best to have it high, but i dont know how to do that. Is it from how many people visit your hubs? It's weird cause the more hubs i add, the more my score goes down.

8. Lincoln Armstrong profile image59
    Lincoln Armstrongposted 16 years ago

Hubscores are all in the tank.  Then one hub suddenly gets a 700% increase in traffic.   

So confused...  @.@

9. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

With the update on Friday, the distribution of HubScores changed a bit.  So while the score on your hubs may have dropped in absolute terms, your ranking versus other hubs may not have changed that much.

This will give you rough idea of what different HubScores mean in terms of percentile rank across all published hubs.  I've also included approximate traffic numbers for hubs in some of the ranges.  Traffic is just one of many factors that go into HubScore, but it should give you an idea of the ballpark to shoot for to achieve various levels.

96-100 - 99.9 percentile (3000 page views a month)
    91-95 - 99.3 percentile (2200 page views a month)
    86-90 - 97.7 percentile (1300 page views a month)
    81-85 - 94th percentile (900 page views a month)
    76-80 - 88th percentile (90 page views a month)
    71-75 - 78th percentile (30 page views a month)
    66-70 - 65th percentile
    61-65 - 48th percentile
    56-60 - 31st percentile
    51-55 - 20th percentile

1. StuartJ profile image68
      StuartJposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Well, my top hubs have all dropped about 10 points, and my own score has gone down. I used to have a number of hubs in the high 90s but now none. I am dealing in a number of topics that will never have high traffic even if they are the most popular in their area on the Net...

Should I stop trying to do quality hubs in those areas and focus on those that I can include a lot of girlie pics with...?

10. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Other than on the main best page (which actually only has a couple of "girly pic" hubs on the first 3 pages), you are competing for internal position against hubs that are similarly tagged to your own.   For instance in entertainment to get on the first page you need a 94, but in sports you only need an 86, and in New Zealand a 66 will get the job done.  The same logic applies to the related hubs that are listed on each hub.

What you choose to write about is up to you, but I think in the long run you will do the best writing on a topic that you know a lot about and have a passion for.

1. StuartJ profile image68

Fair enough, but I used to have entertainment hubs in the 90s -- one regularly on 99 and 100, but now it is suddenly down in the low 80s, while the hubs I was competing with seem to be holding their score.

This is the nub of my question -- why have my entertainment hubs (Emma Watson, and Anna Paquin, for example) plummeted so far down the ratings?

My Anna Paquin Hub used to average about 95 but is now on 79. It's a fully fledged Hub with little that could be added to it of great importance.

But, bang, it's down 15 points. This is the real question: why does the new alogarithm take all my hubs down?

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, it took a little while to get back to you.

Essentially, with the new score distribution everything that was in the 90-100 range is now spread across the 80-100 range.  There are fewer hubs with a scores above 90 than before.

It looks like your Emma Watson hub recovered into the upper 80s-low 90s, which is a very good score.  The Anna Paquin hub appears to be suffering a little from lack of traffic (which I realize is a bit of a chicken-egg problem, since the lower the score the harder it is to get traffic).

You might try playing around with the tags a little (but don't use too many).  We've placed a little more emphasis on tag and link analysis in the new hubscore algorithm.

1. paddy_avfc profile image62
          paddy_avfcposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hi Paul,

Can you explain what you mean by placing more emphasis on tag analysis?  I know what you mean with links, but I'm not quite sure how tags can help with hubscore.  Is it their relevance to the text?

I realise you can't give out too much information on your algorithm but just a point in the right direction would be nice! 

Cheers,
          Paddy

2. StuartJ profile image68

Thanks for your reply Paul, that makes the situation much clearer. It is logical enough that there is a greater range at the top. A number of my hubs have crept back up; and I have been a bit slap-happy with my tags in some cases.

11. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I noticed some of my hubscores have dropped, but my profile hubscore went up by four points--so, I'm not complaining.

12. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Tags should be relevant to the content and not excessive.  If you have too many tags your score may suffer as a result, especially if the extravagance doesn't actually increase your traffic (which might offset the damage).  There is no exact number that is "right", just look at some hubs that are doing well and you'll have an idea.  Choose your tags carefully.

If you're putting links in your hubs, they should be to related and high quality content.  Repeatedly linking to the same URL or domain can be hazardous to your HubScore.  Connecting yourself to dubious sites can be dangerous.  In short, choose your links carefully.

13. thecounterpunch profile image61
    thecounterpunchposted 16 years ago

I stop wondering: it seems to be unconstant smile

14. Rmnathan profile image63
    Rmnathanposted 16 years ago

I joined Hubpages recently. I too was wondering about the rise and fall of hubscores. it is a bit clear for me now. I think to some extent I understood the direction to go. Still I feel topics in less popular fields such as Architecture, History etc. will find it difficult to get high hubscores. Am I correct?

15. Ian Ganahl profile image59
    Ian Ganahlposted 14 years ago

I am new to this, and my initial score is at 50.  Does that mean my blog is horrible?  This is my first hub that I posted (and just today in fact).  If it starts off at such a low score, does that mean my content is of no use?  What can I do to improve, and is there anyone I can turn to in order to provide me direct feedback of what I have written?

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Hubscore when first published is usually around 49-51. So you're fine. Besides, you've been here two hours and not even enough time for anything to occur.

Highly recommended- head over to the Extreme Makeover Forum and ask other to critique your Hub? See what you get for advice. smile

Just a thought.

****Please remember, whenever posting in Extreme Makeover Forum, it's one place where you are allowed to put links for inspection by other hubbers. smile

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It means you've only been here for a few hours.  Give the process some time and keep making content.

16. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

Wikipedia.. I link there all the time.. its not promtional to me and is to a different page each time but I am using that same domain alot but scatered across all my hubs. Are sites such as wikipedia considered to be dangerous to hubscoreif if used quite a bit. in dubious i take you to mean link exchanges or sites like xomba blurbs or what?

When you say competing in categories I assume thats to let others who do not produce Bollywood photo hub to compete seperately since theres no way an android phone review will ever receive the audacious numbers that  the Bollywood hubs do ,even though it would probably produce more clicks. maybe the amount of clickthroughs should be used as x multiplier x in determining hub score. ex. 1000 views x 1 for no clicks and 1000 x 1.1 difficulty and so on for exceeding cetain clickthrough rates.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)