Question about Hub Scores

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (52 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 11 years ago

I would like a better explanation of the Hub Score.  I have a Hub that I uploaded on May 12th, it's ranked #2 on Google search results for its main keyword phrase, it's getting 175 visits per day sent by Google, but the Hub Score is only 78.  Is that because someone at MTurk didn't like it?

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hubscores are pretty numbers that mean nothing but cause guilt.

2. Tim Chirillo profile image65
      Tim Chirilloposted 11 years agoin reply to this

yeah I don't think they mean anything.. I have a hub I did not publish yet. there is literally 6 words in it and its score is 70 -- so go figure

3. livewithrichard profile image71
      livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well if it is the hub I'm thinking of, some of your content can be the cause of a lower score.  The hub I looked at, indexed on May 18, ranks number 2 on Google search for the keyword in the url.  You are using 4 pictures that have no attribution... a big no-no here and pretty much everywhere now.  Plus you have a copyright blah blah blah at the bottom... something that is also frowned upon here at HP because not only does it deter from the topic, it is already copyrighted.  This keyword doesn't have the search volume to warrant 175 views a day by Google, so it may be another hub you are speaking of.  I haven't looked at your other hubs but if they all have that copyright paragraph at the bottom and no proper attributes or legal to use pictures, you shouldn't expect high scores or much traffic.  And quite frankly, I'm surprised that someone that claims to be an SEO professional would use content that he has no rights to.

Writer Foxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

None of that is true.  All of my images are credited on every Hub at the bottom of the article and all are used with permission.  Credits don't belong underneath the image because that is the Alt Tag on this site.

I don't know what Hub of mine you are looking at but I don't target any keyword with low search traffic.

HubPages doesn't own the copyright to my work.  I do.  That's why the notice is there.

I hope you check your facts better when you write articles than you do writing forum posts. Why don't you find some other way to spend Father's Day.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

On one single hub you credit all photos to "all photos are via Shual Safar Ltd' when the copyrights for them are claimed by RobertG with the tag "You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor" by the San Diego Zoo (who never license their pictures), and there is also a picture of a Folkmanis puppet.  I am quite sure "Shua Sfar Ltd does not have the copyrights it is asserting.

So, no, you are not attributing pictures correctly--not even close.

The attribution I used is correct and the puppet is an Amazon product and, of course, any Amazon affiliate may use it to sell the product.

The attribution is incorrect as you you are not Robert, did not credit Robert and you claimed his copyright (amongst other examples)

And you are not using the photo to sell a product so that is not an approved use.

So I suggest you just fix it while you still have a shred of credibility.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
          MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow... you are getting really upset over something that everybody, but apparently you, knows doesn't really matter for anything.

Maybe YOU should find a better use for your Father's day.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread before it got hijacked, I wasn't upset at all – just curious about what factors are used for Hub Scores.  In fact, now that stats have been updated, the particular Hub I mentioned got 1,656 views in the past 24 hours.  I couldn't be more pleased.

1. HollieT profile image79
              HollieTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Which clearly demonstrates that hubscore isn't worth worrying about.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image94
      Christy Kirwanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We're working on making Hub Score more closely tied to Hub quality, so in the future it should be more helpful. smile

For now, it's a good idea not to worry about it.

Hey, thanks Christy.  Good to know.

2. Writer Fox profile image32

So, our Hubs have scores "that mean nothing" and don't "mean anything."  Those scores must mean something in the home office or we wouldn't have them.

Where is Simone when we need her?  I realize she doesn't work here anymore, but she's still a Hubber and could pass by the forum now and again to say Hi and post a comment.

2. HollieT profile image79
      HollieTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe she became sick of the abuse in the forums when she was paid to take it. She isn't paid to take it now,  she has her own thing going on.

That makes a lot of sense considering the libel just posted by livewithrichard.

The best defense against an accusation of libel is that he was telling the truth--which even a casual visit to you hubs can confirm.

2. livewithrichard profile image71

What libel?  You clearly do not understand how to properly attribute pictures which is ridiculous from someone that claims to be an SEO expert.  Here, maybe this will help you out: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use  Scroll down to this part: "What Correct Image Attribution Looks Like."

What is your expert reasoning for not having the proper attribute under the picture?  Not by HP standards.

Further, I don't care who owns the copyright to the content... HP has stated on many occasions that they do not want to see individual copyright blurbs within the hub content... nor do they want to see sentences with hyperlinks that say stuff like, "if you want to learn more, click here," or "If you want to write hubs too, click here."  Did you even read through the TOS of this site.

By the way, the hub I read was "How to sell a house,"  and with those keywords you rank 2 on Google, however there are only 94 Global monthly searches for that term.  So, if you don't target low volume keywords then either I am mistaken or your are telling us another fib.

You questioned why you were getting a low hub score... I gave you honest reasons.  Honesty wins most of the time Mr. SEO Expert.  <----- Or was that the libel you were referring?

3. Writer Fox profile image32

Those posts are about the Hubber score, not the score of the individual Hubs. I just don't understand how they are evaluated.

Hub/author score are just variations of the same thing.

The scores are calculated on a huge range of factors such as views, comments, social interaction, size, use of multimedia, time, etc.

It can change 10-20 points in a day. There is no rhyme and reason.

It doesn't indicate what you can earn or where you'll sit in Google.

They mean nothing in the bigger scheme of things.

Then, I don't like them.

4. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I don't think so, Writer Fox. It's unfortunately the nature of the beast. My best performing hub has hit 100, it's been at 92, and it's been at 85. It gets plenty of traffic but still goes up and down.

One thing that I sense about hubscores that I never hear anyone talk about is hubscores changing in relation to other hubs. To put it simply, if I write a hub about apple pie published in May, and someone else writes a hub about apple pie in June, with more content, a video, a poll, and more images than mine, it will push my hubscore down a bit. Both of our hubs are in the same hubgroup, you see.

Have you ever hung out long enough on a topic page to see hubs shift around? Yes, they do. Depending on how new the featured hub is and how much traffic it gets, its ranking changes which is displayed by hubscore.

So what I've surmised (and I could be dead wrong) is that in addition to hub quality and traffic, our hubs are also ranked compared to each other, which is why they change so much, as hubbers continue to publish. Just my observation.

I appreciate your long reply.  But, the particular Hub I used in my question is #1 on the page for the Topic category.  Still don't know why the score is 78.

1. janshares profile image91
        jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think I know the one, it's excellent. I left a comment 2 weeks ago. Is it about Google and Panda?

That's not it, but thanks!

2. Writer Fox profile image32

(That one has an 87 Hub Score.)

1. janshares profile image91
            jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow. I think the new QAP is tough.

It just flipped up to an 88!  Too strange.

1. Will Apse profile image89
                Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are a talented writer and you will be successful here. If you stopped obsessing about the weird stuff like hubscores, and forgot all about your imagined prowess in SEO, you would be an even better writer. You would also be less annoying.

Will, I have no imagined prowess.  I'm a professional SEO consultant and you behave like a Troll on this forum.

1. Will Apse profile image89
                    Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can teach anyone SEO. It is a bit more difficult to write. You can write. Use it.

2. phdast7 profile image82
                    phdast7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but if you think Wills comments are "trollish"  --  the you have never encountered a real troll   (or maybe you are being very melodramatic because you are extremely frustrated).   What "real trolls" post is far beyond Will's comment, usually unbelievably hateful, vindictive and abusive  -- that would be a troll.

I take you at your word if you say you are an SEO consultant ... so why are you messing about with Hubs on HP, which must be small potatoes for you?

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it has anything  to do with traffic. My hub with 100 to 350 every day stays at about that score too. At the same time I've had other hubs with a hubscore of 100 that isn't any better and doesn't get anymore traffic. I wouldn't worry about it, but it doesn't make sense.

Thanks for sharing all of that.  So the answer is: It makes no sense but we have to look at it every day and just try to ignore it.  Swell.

I don't see them anymore. Published a new hub the other day. Wouldn't for the life of me know its score then or now but I sure know its traffic.

Traffic is what matters most.  No question about that.

5. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Writer Fox, I understand your frustration. I have about six hubs that have been in the 90s forever. All of a sudden Penguin hit, and my traffic went down. So did the scores. For all this time, my traffic went up and down, and my scores stayed in the 90s. It seems like everything changes. Maybe it is because Simone left. or pick any other reason. Your situation makes less sense than mine. But I still love it here.

I'm not exactly frustrated, just trying to understand what that score is supposed to mean since HP seems to want to show it to me every day.

6. Writer Fox profile image32

@livewithrichard: I just had a look at your Hub 'How to Start a Modeling Career' to check out your image credits.  You don't have them.  The image you used for the runway models is copyrighted by Getty and I doubt that you paid their fee to use it.
    I hope you have deep pockets, because you're probably next in line to receive one of their famous 'Settlement Demand Letters.'  Basically what they do is have an image scraper check for copyright infringement and then send you a bill for thousands of dollars:
    http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2012/ … -so-free#.

The magazine cover image that you credited as 'Fashion Model' links to a page on Wikipedia that says you do NOT have permission to reproduce the image and "Any other uses of this image, on Wikipedia or elsewhere, may be copyright infringement. See Wikipedia: Non-free content for more information."

In fact, you don't have permission to use any of the images on that Hub.  Giving a link to the page you stole an image from is not permission to use it.

And, of course, all of the above is in violation of HubPage's TOS.

1. livewithrichard profile image71

Sorry pal... even wikimedia states that my images are of low resolution as to make them unworthy for commercial use, and since they are magazine covers that clearly state the publication name, they fall under Fair Use.  If it's good enough for wikimedia its good enough for me. 

Why come to the forums for help when you slap the hands that helps you?  Haha... and you called Will a troll?  You can check out whatever you like on my hubs, I'm not the one who came here looking for help...  And yes, my pockets are deep enough, I haven't always attributed my images, and I do have a standing account with 123rf where I purchase hundreds of images for my blogs and websites.... anything else you would like to know... or are you ready to concentrate on what you started this thread for in the first place?

I see you removed the Getty image.  They can still send you a bill, though.

There is nothing wrong with making a correction.  In fact, it is advisable.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
          MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LMAO...

Yes a bill that is completely unenforceable... like those silly little bills that collection companies send out that threaten to take your first born.

If they send him one of them he can use it as free toilet paper.

3. livewithrichard profile image71

Admittedly a mistake on my part which has been corrected.  Robert can still bill you for using his images too. You want to make it an issue?

7. SAM ELDER profile image55
    SAM ELDERposted 11 years ago

Don't judge a man by his opinions, but what his opinions have made of him.....

8. Poshbytori profile image68
    Poshbytoriposted 11 years ago

I stopped reading comments after this topic seemed to veer away from the question asked, so I do apologize if this has already been stated, as I am only going off the question and a few replies.

Although I cannot speak on the exact reason, my personal findings are as follows:

When I joined HubPages, my score was in the 70's.
    The more content I published increased my score into the mid-to-late-80's.
    I then began contributing by Linking Hubs and answering Questions.  At this current time my score is a 92.

When I first joined, my 70's *appeared* to also be linked to my earnings that were under $1.00.

I have since written around 50 quality hubs. My earnings are double digit per month and my goal is triple digit within 60 days from now.   Check out this article about getting the most HubPages Hits for more info: <linked snipped>

I do use photos from the internet and provide credit to the source and I additionally take my own photos.  My hits and earnings have not seemed to have an impact on if I took photos from the internet or used my own (but obviously, in certain articles I needed to take my own photos).  I think the argument of taking photos from the internet is no different than using a YouTube Video that you did not create.  Anything published online can fall under Fair Use if properly credited (and not abused). Check out this article about Fair Use and "Stolen Content": <linked snipped>

I do agree with @phdast7 comment about "real trolls" being *usually*, quote "hateful, vindictive and abusive" (to back up my agreement, please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Troll
    However, I disagree with claims that someone cannot be an SEO consultant and also write on HubPages.  I had my own, very popular website for many, many years. I made enough to open multiple retail stores off my online earnings while being a stay at home mom (<linked snipped> is my newest store in Michigan).  I have since chosen to not *have* to dedicate myself to a website that requires 40-60 hours per week to produce and monitor 1000+ articles.  Just replacing broken links and changing content due to it being outdated/updated was endless work with that quantity of articles. 
    So is HubPages "Small Potatoes"; it depends what you create and who reads it.  It took me over a year on my own site to genuinely begin "making money".  Once I began making money and working my site like a FULL TIME JOB, I made great money. On the other hand, HubPages is something I do not have to make a full time job.  I can write content and let HP do the rest and the next month I have money.  Equally, I do not expect to earn thousands per month off this site, yet I'd be happy with a few hundred and not spending all my time invested in a blog, if that makes sense.

All I guess I really have to say is that I have been on both sides of the fence.  I don't think the HP score means much of anything, but mine has *seemed* to have increased as my views and/or participation has.

1. phdast7 profile image82
      phdast7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What a remarkably well-balanced, thoughtful, and helpful look at all the issues under discussion.   Thank you for commenting on your experiences off and on HP and for the helpful links. smile

9. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

Moderator in 3...2...1...

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You were off by one beat of an unforeseen post. Almost scary.

10. profile image52
    pacheoposted 11 years ago

Don't know how to use.

11. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 11 years ago

You shouldn't really dwell on the hub score much. The number constantly changes anyway. If you are getting great traffic for the hub, great reader interaction, and are making money from it then that's all that matters.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)