180 hubs, one recent hub moderated as substandard, suggestions please.

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)
  1. humagaia profile image58
    humagaiaposted 13 years ago

I have just found that a 3 day old hub has been moderated as substandard and I am having difficulty understanding what needs to be addressed.
    None (in my view) of the 'common reasons' for moderation seem to fit.
    I have read the FAQ and Maddies hub about the issue but none of this helps. Before I e-mail Hubpages I wondered how others had addressed this issue when experiencing 'unpublishing', particularly whether e-mailing to ask for help had been effective and help had been offered.
    I am particularly interested in getting the hub republished as it had already gained high ranking in serps with Google, Ask and 'search.' sites and was generating 50+ views daily (rising).
    PS I am not asking for suggestions about actual changes (as you cannot see an unpublished hub) but rather suggestions as to how best to obtain assistance from Hubpages so that the hub can be adjusted in a timely and efficient manner to limit both my time and that of the person that would be required to re-moderate (more than once if I do not address the specific prob)

1. caltex profile image61
      caltexposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for asking.  Your question prompted me to look into this subject. 

I found out on the help section that you just might need to make some changes to your hub.  It might have been flagged as substandard if you have some links or videos that are not working.  You can also try changing a few things and resubmitting it for publication.  Goodluck!

humagaiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for telling.
        I have already checked out the FAQ and the hub specifically written for this subject.
        None of the 'common reasons' fit.
        I have no videos and all the links are valid and viable - there would be a flag against the hub if there were any broken links - there are not.
        It is not a 'test' or otherwise unfinished hub.
        It has over 1000 words so cannot fit the 'very little content' reason.
        None of my other hubs is poorly-written so I do not think this one is either.
        The content is not produced elsewhere (either on hubpages or on the Internet) for this subject. It would have been flagged as duplicate content.
        It is not a heavily saturated topic.
        No broken links and the links are not to low quality sites (unless Google is a low quality site)
        I think I have been accurate with my link text - certainly not deceptive.
        No links to dubious products or offers.
        No videos.
        Photos are screenshots that I produced myself in a normal manner - don't think they have watermarks and are not pixelated.
        Not copied from anywhere else - my own investigation into how to achieve something.

Beyond the above I am at a loss.

All I wish to know is where lies the problem.
        If it is worth addressing or not.

Basically, I could change, and am willing to change, any and all aspects of the hub. But it could still be modified as sub standard.
        Without knowing what is to be addressed I could be wasting both my and hubpages staff time.

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I feel your pain.  I had to contact staff about an unpublished hub not long ago.  I will tell you this.  No matter how much you disagree with the reasons given for the removal of your hub, your protests will not be worthy of consideration.  Either leave the hub unpublished or change it.

It violates some part of Googles TOS or is feared to do so by HP staff.  Booga booga! smile

humagaiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You may be right that it violates some part of Google TOS. But since it runs adsense I would not violate their terms on purpose. As far as I am aware I follow all Google TOS.
        If it is that I violate one of these then all I need to know is which one and I can change it easily.

However, I am not looking for advice on what to change.

I am looking for advice as to which is the most effective way of finding out what the actual reason for the substandard moderation. This I ask of those that have been able to address the issues raised against their hub.

I am quite happy to change anything. I am quite happy to drop the hub altogether - although it took time to produce and 3 days so far to promote.

I just want to know how to deal with the situation in the most efficient way. If I change something that is not the problem and then resubmit, a hubpages staff member will be required to review. If I have not changed the actual problem then their time will have been wasted. I want to know that the changes I implement will address the issue, in order that my time and their time is not wasted.

1. arthurchappell profile image47
          arthurchappellposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree - to un-publish a Hub should mean a human reading it and they should be able to pinpoint exactly what the problem is rather than expecting us to figure it out from a general list.

2. humagaia profile image58
    humagaiaposted 13 years ago

Update - I received a reply to my e-mail to the Hubpages team. It was an apology for their mistake in unpublishing the hub. I am thankful that it has been republished. I am less thankful that the hub was unpublished at the exact time that it's readership was increasing and just after I had placed the hub in search engine and directory lists ready to be searched and read for inclusion. I am sure that some directories found that the hub was not available.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)