jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Commercial Hubs

1. SunSeven profile image64
    SunSevenposted 10 years ago

Hi Paul,

If a hub is classified as 'commercial' will it be having a 'nofollow' tag? If so is it alright to publish them and will it effect the overall hubscores? Thanks

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 10 years ago

SunSeven -

The commercial designation simply means that AdSense ads will be shown on the Hub (at Ad Level - High). It has no effect on links within the Hub nor on HubScore.

- Jason

3. SunSeven profile image64

Thanks for the reply Jason. But now I am more confused. Isn't it already "ads level high" as default? There is already provision for setting the ads level as high even without checking the box on "this hub may be considered commercial". So I thought the purpose of checking the box is to indicate that the particular Hub will be promoting some kind of product or service, or as a sales pitch. If not so, then the function is duplicated.

Even if the box is not checked adsense ads are appearing on the Hubs. I do not have this box checked in any of my Hubs. Do I have to go back to each of them and check it? Also I can see ebay ads appearing on my Hubs. They are quite out of place. Earlier I used to add ebay capsules to Hubs. Since they were not performing for me I removed the affiliation from the settings. I do not want ebay ads on my Hubs. Please remove them. Also if possible I would like to have adsense ads in its place.

Can you please clarify this? Thanks

1. spuds profile image18
      spudsposted 10 years ago in reply to this

I saw some eBay ads on my Hubs to. What gives? Do I get any revenue from these because I am not an eBay affiliate?

2. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 10 years ago in reply to this

If the content of a Hub is commercial in nature, we require the ad level to be set to high.  If you have existing commercial hubs, and the ad level is already set to high you don't need to go back and check the commercial box on them (but you can if you want).

The reason for this policy change is that we've seen quite a few hubs that are monetized through third party affiliate programs (such as clickbank), that have the ads turned off.  We feel like that is an abuse of our (fairly generous) revenue sharing model.  At the same time we wanted to preserve the choice of advertising levels for author's creating non-commercial content (such as poetry, short stories, etc.). 

I'm not sure that we have a strict definition for commercial, but I'd say that if the primary motivation for the creation of your hub is financial gain then the hub is commercial.  That would, of course, include a gain from increasing traffic to another commercial site through hyperlinking.

Hopefully that clears things up.

4. ramesh profile image56
    rameshposted 10 years ago

you see ebay ads bcoz hubpages are affliates of ebay ,so in thier share of impressions they hav the right to display ebay ads on ur hubs even if u don hav an evay account..

1. spuds profile image18
      spudsposted 10 years ago in reply to this

Thanks ramesh, that clears things up. I'm a happy hubber again. smile

5. SunSeven profile image64

Thanks a lot Paul. That clears up my doubts regarding the commercial status Hubs. But what about the ebay ads?

6. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 9 years ago

If you don't have eBay active the ebay contextual ads should only be showing up on the HubPages share of impressions, not on your share.  However, I'd encourage you to give eBay a try again, I think you might see a higher overall cpm as a result.

7. SunSeven profile image64
    SunSevenposted 9 years ago

Thanks Paul. I will try to put ebay ads again.

working