jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

duplicated words

1. Claudia Tello profile image90
    Claudia Telloposted 5 years ago

Sometimes I get repeated words in my hub text even though when I edit the word only appears once!!! Does anybody know how to make the second "ghost" word disappear? Thanks!

1. Simone Smith profile image91
      Simone Smithposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Haven't seen anything like this, but if the problem persists, let us know what browser you're using, and if you can, take some screenshots that you can send over big_smile

Claudia Telloposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am using internet explorer.
        I am going to try what Website Examiner suggested and if it doesn't work I'll send the screenshots.

2. Jlbowden profile image81
      Jlbowdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hello Claudia:

I thought I was imagining this when it had happened to me. Sometimes we all by error, type a word twice. When we go into correct that duplicate word and hit done editing, it disappears. However with a few of my articles as an example, this did not correct the situation. If I am using internet explorer for example. You should be using Mozilla Firefox as your internet explorer. It works the best with Hubpages I  Have found. So I assume that you were not on Hubpages via firefox when you were doing your editing work? Let me know if this works and if you were not using Mozilla Fire fox.

2. mdlawyer profile image62
    mdlawyerposted 5 years ago

I don't get exactly what you mean as I have never encountered such a problem.

3. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

There is probably some hidden code in there. I recommend copying the text, paste it into a plain text (.txt) document - using Windows Notepad or the like - then copy that text and paste it back into the HubPages text capsule. That should strip off any unwanted code.

OK, thanks! I'll try that.

4. kmackey32 profile image81
    kmackey32posted 5 years ago

Ive never had that problem...

5. 0

Jlbowden, I am not sure that I agree with you here. I never use Internet Explorer with HubPages. I have had situations where I had made corrections, and on my side that showed up normally. Someone else sent me screenshots to prove that from their side, there was an error. In other words, different browsers appear to be showing the text differently - some suppressing this hidden code, others not. Thus my advice to get rid of the hidden code. Changing the browser on the creator side may not really help.

6. Rosie2010 profile image84
    Rosie2010posted 5 years ago

Interesting.  I've never had this problem.

7. Claudia Tello profile image90
    Claudia Telloposted 5 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I tried the copy-paste suggestion of Website Examiner and the dupplicated word didn't go away.
    I took screen shots of the mystical error in my hub "Moroccan Arabic Basics". They are not so clear but I hope you can read the text in them.
    The word "country" in the first line is dupplicated in the published hub but not in the edit page. Check it out:

8. 0

Claudia Tello, thank you, this is both fascinating and mysterious. Too bad the suggested method apparently did not work. However, I still believe that the display depends on what browser is being used to read the hub. Here is the same hub as seen through Opera. The word "country" has clearly not been duplicated:

Since there is no hidden code, as that was stripped off in any event, it seems to be a browser compatibility error. Did you try to clear the cache, refresh the page to see what happens?

OK, I see...... now I have changed to M Firefox and the duplicated word disappeared. It is very strange indeed and I am very glad we fixed it.
      Thanks Website Examiner, thank you all very much.