jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

Duplicate Content - Should I Be Worried?

1. Trish_M profile image90
    Trish_Mposted 5 years ago

Hi smile

I have written some hubs, with some quite long quotes in them. The items are out of copyright, or in the public domain, at least.

I have quoted quite a bit from Shakespeare, and from the King James Bible. I feel that the hubs in question would be sorely lacking without these quotes.

Am I going to have trouble because of this?
    I have been waiting to see what happens, but am I likely to get into yet more trouble for waiting and not doing anything about this already?

It is, I suppose, duplicate content ~ but is it unacceptable?

2. 0
    lynnechandlerposted 5 years ago

Trish I didn't visit anything past the Shakespeare Summer Winter and Christmas hub. Wow, incredibly long hub but then really in terms of verbage it isn't. It has an inordinate amount of amazon links in it and I got rather lost by its design especially when there is so much going on after the comment capsule. I would seriously take a look at this hub soon.

As to the question at hand, if I was reading it right, it looks like you have credited all the quotes whether they be from Hamlet or another place.

Biblical quotes while they can be long should be ok as long again as the source is sited and they directly pertain to the topic of the hub and aren't just thrown in for good measure.

Trish_Mposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Lynne smile

I am sorry if this hub was confusing. I hope that I have clarified it now. I don't think that it broke any rules, though smile (Hope not)

3. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

Duplication is detected by automatic filters. You could ask for an exemption, either now or if the hubs are unpublished as being duplicate. This is not a copyright issue, but a duplicate content issue.

Hi Website Examiner. smile

Yes, that's my concern.

Perhaps I should contact the moderators.

Thanks smile

4. sofs profile image87
    sofsposted 5 years ago

If that is duplication what would call hubs that are just quotes on some subject. None of those have tripped the filter, I saw a couple of those on  the feed today.
    Some hubbers have a number of such hubs and all are safe ..at least as of now smile
    I don't think your hub will trip the filter.. Cheers smile

Thanks Sofs.

I am concerned about the ones with longer quotes ~ eg the Hamlet soliloquies.

1. sofs profile image87
        sofsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Lynne, as long as you have credited your source and have enough original material to substantiate the quotes you will be spared. I do have one hub where I quoted long verses all over the hub  from the Songs of Solomon, I do not see any warnings, but then I have added my own take on the subject. 

As WE says you can always write to the team and get an exemption if the hub does trip the filter .. so , you should stop worrying.. cheers smile

2. 0
      Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have seen several examples of Hubbers who got into trouble because of extensive quotes. I'd imagine it depends on what is being quoted, only HubPages knows what is on their Whitelist. Since there has been no duplicate content filter triggered yet, I'd leave it and see what happens, so I agree with that decision.

5. Trish_M profile image90

Thanks. smile
    I'll leave it then, for now, and wait to see what happens smile

6. mdlawyer profile image61
    mdlawyerposted 5 years ago

If more quotations appear, the automated system will take it as a duplicate content. But quotations can only be duplicated. Hence it is better you write to Hubpages team.

7. Simone Smith profile image91
    Simone Smithposted 5 years ago

Hiya Trish_M!

You should be OK.  References to famous poems, quotes, and Bible passages and the like won't be an issue- it's content that is stolen or mostly/entirely copied from elsewhere online that is against our publishing standards.  Obviously a Hub that just takes a sonnet or something and just re-publishes it without any added original value is not OK, but what you're talking about is just referencing important quotes and passages, and that's totally fine!  Such references augment useful and original analysis, after all!  big_smile

8. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

Simone Smith, that pretty much settles the matter once and for all. Thank you!

9. Trish_M profile image90

Thank you very much to Simone and to everyone else who helped me with this issue smile smile smile