Duplicate Content??

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

Curious--

If I were to write a Hub about--and featuring--famous quotations, would the quotes trip the duplicate content warning?

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

More than likely yes. Just get in touch with staff and explain the issue/topic and need for quotes.

2. RachaelOhalloran profile image83
      RachaelOhalloranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Used in context, quoting quotations of famous (or not so famous) people with attribution is not duplicate content. If you wanted to list for example:
      LOVE
      and list about 10 of your "favorite" quotations, then it would be fine.

If you wanted to write the all-time most used quotations of a particular person - example Mark Twain, etc. - that is fine.

Duplicate content is when you (or any author) has already posted the same work on another site (or another hub) and you repeat it in a new work.

Famous quotations are not viewed as not duplicate content.

DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ah--thank you very much, Rachel!   That clarifies it well.  I can certainly see the difference, and I kind of thought as much; just thought I'd be sure to play the "CYA" game.....  you never know what weird thing is going to trip you up.  wink

1. RachaelOhalloran profile image83
          RachaelOhalloranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome, glad to help out.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Rachael is right and wrong.  She's right you're talking about a general definition of duplicate content, but on HubPages it has a particular meaning.

Duplicate content is checked by an automated filter.  It will flag a Hub for duplicate content if a substantial amount of the Hub is copied from other sources.   That can be several sources, and the automated filter doesn't understand what quote marks are, and it can't read attributions, so those don't help!

The key is that word "substantial".   There has to be more original text than quoted content.   How much?  I don't know, but I'd say the quotes have to be less than a third of the Hub.  I seem to recall someone being flagged for a Hub that had a quote about that size.

Thanks, Marisa--
            I should be fine, then.  I'm planning brief quotes--no more than a couple of sentences, backed up with why I like that person and their quotes.. Perhaps a bit of historical background, as well.

3. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this
    4. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you just copy a collection of quotes that mostly exist together somewhere else, it will be duplicate content even if they come from a few different sources.  If you spend considerable time and effort compiling a unique and compelling collection of quotes drawn  from many places, and also add some original content to tie it all together you should be fine.  You do need to stay within the Fair Use copyright guidelines.

Ok, thanks for the further clarification.

2. pateluday profile image55
        pateludayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This response helps us all.
        Presenting quotes should be done this way "Quote"

Thanks A Lot

Yes, thank you; I understand how to use quotes.  That was not my question.

5. CatherineGiordano profile image76
      CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've done several hubs based on quotations, but my own content and provided context for the quotes. Also, the groupings of the quotes were my own. But there is one problem with this type of hub.  There are upteen other hubs doing quotes and thousands on the internet.

Yeah--you're probably right--it won't be a money-maker--but it would be fun to write.  wink

2. profile image0
    Tina Trueloveposted 9 years ago

I don't know but I have a couple of those types of hubs.  I did them when I first started out here 4 years ago and they have remained featured.

3. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

I've recently published a hub on quotes and definitions of poetry using well known and lesser known poets - including those on HP - mixing the quotes up with my own original content and opinion. Google seem to be ok with this.
    I also wrote a hub some time ago which included a letter from a writer to a family member. The whole letter was deemed duplicate so I cut out the bits I didn't need, wrote some original thoughts on that letter, submitted it for publication again and Google were ok.
    You need to make sure you 'dilute' quotes already out there with your own original text.

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I have a hub about Mark Twain that included many of his quotes, but because they are so well known it triggered a duplicate content warning and I had to delete all but a few quotes to have it restored.

5. pateluday profile image55
    pateludayposted 9 years ago

II think we should take duplicate content and similar content in different sense. The first is copyright violation, the second has been published regularly as a topic and is not unique.   

When you wish to use quotes in your content search and write about ones that have not been published.

6. diana1000 profile image61
    diana1000posted 9 years ago

I have a huge problem about what copyscape comes up with as supposed duplicate content.

I have written a few blogs that state it is not original content and yet I had done no research at all because it came from my head and first hand experience so how could it have been duplicated?

Can anyone advise me on this please?

Thank you Diana Harvey

1. pateluday profile image55
      pateludayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You may have written (In your own Words) what has been written many a times. Some similarity may have crept in.  A topic is unique whence no one or very few have written about it, else similarity does creep in. But duplicate content is usually a direct copy so you are bit unlucky.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried searching on Google yourself to see if you can find the "duplicate"?   

Are you sure you absolutely positive you have never published the same article somewhere else before?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)