jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

Blog or HP?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

Simple question.  Both is an answer, but not a good answer.

Which do you think is best for traffic, revenue and future?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image94
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm sticking with Hubpages.  Because I do several different niches, it might have been better for me to have blogs going that concentrated on those - but I still think that the Google Love shown hubpages is very significant, and tough to beat.

Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well good luck Wesman.  I can say that Blogger indexing is just as good as HP's - at least it seems to be. Bit better if anything.

Yet curiously - Blogger must be one gigantic content farm - with no quality control whatsoever.

2. livewithrichard profile image87
    livewithrichardposted 5 years ago

There is no easy answer that will work for everyone.  It really depends on how much experience you have, not as a writer but as an Internet marketer.  It also depends on what your goals are.  Do you want to make a living online or do you just want to earn some extra cash?  HP is best for the latter but if you want a livable income then you need your own network of niche blogs.  I currently have a dozen niche blogs each earning between $1 and $6 a day.  My goal is to have 50 by the end of the year all earning at least $5 a day and then I can quit my day job smile

Thanks lwr - that's very interesting.

And I want, or wanted (less sure now), to earn a living online.

3. Haunty profile image85
    Hauntyposted 5 years ago

I don't know about traffic and revenue, but for future, you know the answer. No one knows how long HP will last and we have absolutely no control over it.

A blog can reflect your personality. Not just in terms of words, but in terms of looks and organization.

You have more control over it without the prospect of being moderated.

It is more secure and won't go out of business abruptly.

You can choose a domain name with keywords in it.

You own it. You can expand or sell it.

If I had a specific niche to write tons on, I would definitely go with a blog.

Thanks Haunty.  I don't have a niche, but I do have a misplaced sense of hope.

4. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago

My short answer is HP. 

Longer answer - About ten percent of my Adsense earnings have come from my blog versus my HP account, BUT - I've had 50 times more traffic to my HP account.  Someone's gotta be clicking ads, right?

Also, I've got many, many more followers here at HP. 

I'm still really trying to figure it out though, as I just recently enabled Google Analytics.  We'll see.

Hi Motown.  Followers don't mean money, I don't think.  Search traffic does.

But I'm no expert.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Both is totally a good answer.  Sometimes I feel like doing something easy and getting some money, sometimes I feel like doing something harder that is entirely under my own banner.  The latter can make a lot more money or none at all.

Many eggs + many baskets=more eggs overall.

OK, both is fine then.  I just didn't want to have to write about eggs.

1. 0
        Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What's wrong with writing about eggs?  You could branch out then to chickens, easter, breakfast...imagine the endless possibilities.  tongue

6. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago

Nah, followers don't mean money.  But, like I said, I do get 50 times the traffic to HP than to my blog.  I'm hopeful.

7. celebritie profile image74
    celebritieposted 5 years ago

Mark from what I understand you use Hubpages and sites like it to backlink to your own blogs. The community aspect is what makes it a good place to write on topics that you can get immediate feedback.

Then you can also build niche websites that will elaborate further on the topic you started on hubpages or other content sharing sites.

My formula would be: Write a hub and backlink it to my own site, that way I can earn from both.

Mark you write some really interesting and humorous hubs, in the content somewhere link with your main keyword anchor text to a related post on your own blog that way you will get traffic from the community of hubbers as well as from search engine traffic.