jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What's Charity?

1. fit2day profile image82
    fit2dayposted 5 years ago

I bought a product the other day and the label said "all profits to charity", which made me wonder what charity exactly. 

Do you give money to charity, if so, do you wonder exactly how that money's spent?

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Many profits are given to charities. What the charities do with the money can be looked up, based on the charity. If it is U.S. based, then it should be accessible to anyone who want to know.

However, there are no charities within the borders of America, who properly use the revenue they receive, for what they claim.

None, last time I checked, were within the Federal guidelines.

A lot of different products/goods and/or services that generate profits, can be used/given for charitable organizations. Usually, the money/revenue given to a charity, depending on the charity, can be written off on taxes.

3. Lita C. Malicdem profile image82
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 5 years ago

Down in my country this side of Far East Asia, "charity" to me, means a popular scenario of a politician beaming wide holding a packet of goods with his name boldly printed on it, with few boxes more around him, surrounded by a mob of poor with outreached hands in a depressed area, his beneficiaries of his goodwill. What's important is, the people benefited from it.

And here's another, despite local ordinances that charity drives  for community projects must have permits, I still have doubts in a lot of ways- 1. is the permit really valid? 2. does the whole of the proceeds go to where it's intended for? 3. is it properly and honestly accounted for? This is my own opinion based on my observations, otherwise if I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

4. R.S. Hutchinson profile image84
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 5 years ago

Alot of times they will say "all proceeds go to charity/saving whales/helping little Lisa with a surgery etc" or something along those lines... what the general public doesn't realize is that "proceeds" is defined by the person making the claim. So if you drop a $1.. the person may claim that 90 cents of that is expenses (such as advertising, SALARY,marketing etc) and that the remaining 10 cents will go to the actual professed cause.