How to get a series of hubs to appear in correct order

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Greg Sage profile image40
    Greg Sageposted 12 years ago

I have a series, and at the end of each under the buttons, there are arrows which point forward and backward which lead to other hubs in the same group... but their order is seemingly random.

Is there some way to actually get them to point to the previous and next in the series?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I'm understanding, you have made a group of hubs.  This is what produces the list at the bottom with the arrows.

To change the order that the arrows go to, edit that group and change the order they are listed in.  The last and first may still point to each other not sure), but all others will point to the one above and the one below

2. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 12 years ago

I would add a sentence at the beginning directing to the first of the series and then at the end directing to the next one in the series.

Something like "If you haven't read the first of this series go here" and add the link. Then at the end "To see the next in this series go here" and add the link.

Other than that you are at the mercy of the randomness of the hubs listed.

Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am doing that.

... just hoping there was a way to get the arrows straight as well.

3. Greg Sage profile image40

I've done that, and they are in order... yet the arrows don't match that order.

1. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean that you set the order within the Group, but it doesn't show up correctly on the Hubs within the Group?  If so, that is a glitch and needs to be reported. 

If you have done what wilderness said, you can set the order within the Group to whatever you want it to be.  However, as far as I know, it is still not possible to move from the last of the Group to the first one (yet) - unless something has changed that I'm not aware of.

When you set the order, be sure to Save Changes.  (I'm sure you know that.  It's just one of those things that can on rare occasions be overlooked.)

changes are saved
        group is in order
        arrows have little if any correlation to that order

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did you do it, wait a day or two, clear your cache and then check?

No.  My computer's browser cache?  Or are you talking about a HP parameter?

4. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 12 years ago

Not that I have found. I tried the putting them all in order in the group, and so far this is the best way though the one series I have isn't set up like that now, a previous one was but it was more fictional writing so I felt it necessary to set up links to the beginning chapter and so forth. I've since removed that series and didn't bother with the series on odd holidays with links. Not sure if it helped that series or hurt it honestly.

5. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Greg, I'm going to go look at your Hubs to see what you mean.  As I said, if it didn't work, this would appear to be a glitch that engineering needs to know about.  BRB

6. Greg Sage profile image40

hmmm... and now suddenly they are in order... only reverse, so I guess I would need most recent at top.

It seems to be switching.  I'm not sure if it's because I started with first one this time, and in the middle last time, but it was definitely not correlated a few minutes ago... or yesterday... or the day before...

It has been occasionally, but due to the number of times it's not, I chalked that up to chance.

7. Greg Sage profile image40

one in the middle of series would be the 533% more money one.

8. Greg Sage profile image40

just verified they seem to be in order at the moment.

This is something I have noticed many times throughout writing of the series, however.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Greg,  I see from the above posts that you already figured it out. I manage my groups all the time and understand it well. So I thought I'd add my thoughts to this conversation....

Yes the order comes out backwards. So all you need to do is position them in each group in reverse order from what you want.

Also keep in mind that the first and last in your group end with that one and it ends up showing only one other Hub at the bottom.  So when I publish a new Hub I always make sure it's in the middle somewhere. Not at the end. The reason for doing this is to get more traffic to the new Hub by having two other Hubs point to it rather than just one.

Another thing...It's important to place Hubs together into related groups. If you have unrelated topics in the same group and someone clicks to another Hub with has nothing to do with their interest, then they may leave quickly. The short length of time they stay on your page can pull your Hub Score down.

Managing your groups and paying attention to their order and position can go a long way to giving your readers more related discussions and thereby bringing traffic to your Hubs.

1. Robin profile image86
        Robinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just an update, our outstanding engineer Mark Painter updated the group ordering format.  Now your last Hub in a group will point to the Hub before it AND the first Hub in the group!  big_smile

Thx... everything seems to be working now.

2. Aficionada profile image79

That is so exciting!  Thank you to Mark!

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wonderful. Way to go! Thank Mark for me in case he is not reading this. I like the groups being cyclic like that. No more dead-ends on the first and last. Thanks, Robin, for that update.

1. Robin profile image86
            Robinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I already let Mark know that everyone was thanking him.  big_smile

9. Aficionada profile image79

There is some odd matter going on, though.  Here's what I found.

I started (in the middle) in the Comedy HubPages series with Petite Lap Giraffes and clicked on the right arrow at the bottom of each (which should be the order of moving down the list) until the point noted below.  This was the order:

Petite Lap Giraffes - Fact or Fiction?
    Overcoming Hurdles to Success
    Common Mistakes
    Back to Basics
    Steps to Success
    Where to Start
    533% More Money from Hubpages
    Comedy Writing for Fun and Profit
    Voodoo: Raking in Money with Hubpages!!

**Here it is messed up!! - now the (next) arrow points left, instead of right

Boohoo! Not making money with Hubpages
    (again left, not right)

Woohoo!  Making money with Hubpages  (left)
    Petite Lap Giraffes

In the past, a number of us have requested that the first and last hubs in a Group be linked to each other.  This (your problem) almost seems as though that has been attempted, but that some problem crept in along with it.  I think it would be worth reporting to the staff, just to let the smart guys know to work on it.  But they do have a lot of other things on their plates at this moment.

thx

10. Greg Sage profile image40

Yeah... I was missing the reverse thing, but the reason I was missing it is because it was messing up, so I couldn't make sense of it.  Things in the middle were pointing to the end, etc.

They are in separate group.

At the moment on my end, the seem ordered.  I'll check again tomorrow.

1. Aficionada profile image79

Excellent!

11. Aficionada profile image79

Good advice from Glenn!

I went and checked again.  This time, instead of Petite Lap Giraffes, I went to Woohoo first.  It pointed to PLG as being before it; when I went to PLG, it showed up as the First in the group, and I followed the arrows in the same order as before, except exactly reversed.  Did you change the order between my two viewings of them?  It was a little weird.  hmm

In the past, I have always arranged my Groups from the Groups page.  With the new Groups button that we now have in Edit mode, I have occasionally tried to order a Hub within a Group, but I'm not sure it has succeeded as well as arranging them from the Groups page.  Could that be one factor in the randomness you've experienced?

Yeah... that last one is me moving plg.

It's odd man out, but related to the series... decided to put it first.

Yeah, I'm doing all from groups page, and only the series and one related hub are in that group.

12. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I mean your computer's cache, just in case it is showing you cached information? Possibly?

13. Greg Sage profile image40

It's showing correctly at the moment, but I'll try that next time it doesn't match.

I generally empty my cache about once a week anyway, but hadn't thought to for this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)