jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

Should writers discuss what they do not know is being addressed?

1. Johnathan L Groom profile image59
    Johnathan L Groomposted 5 years ago

I was taught that a good writer (when not asking a question) should use a premise they are aware of in the first place.  Isn't it true that by starting questions and forums with no concept we are wasting everyone's precious time?

1. 0
      Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't necessarily think that would be true.  Starting a discussion on something that you have little understanding of could very well help to increase your understanding of that concept.  In addition, it gives others who are quite familiar with the concept the opportunity to share what they know with others who may not know quite as much. 

Discussions are wonderful tools for learning, imo.

Johnathan L Groomposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ok miss lol.  The idea is that even you knew WHAT you were addressing just then.  Asking a question is different thing all together lol!~

What I'm saying is, to clarify, is that it seems like some use the forums to write meaningless blarthy, and expect me to READ IT!  I love writing and the arts, but I just cannot stand the approaches taken by some.
        It goes without saying that by asking questions we can learn from each other (highschool 8th grade lol), but shouldn't even the question or forum being addressed be recognized BEFORE it is written???

-thankslove-
        -johnathan-

1. 0
          Motown2Chitownposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wow.  That was a pretty snitty response.  In response to the question you asked...it's perfectly acceptable, imo, to put forth a topic on which one may not be completely clear for the sake of starting a discussion that might help foster a deeper understanding.  Apparently, you weren't looking for a discussion, just an assent to the question you've apparently already answered. 

Nice.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
          psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No one "expects" you to read anything.  You don't like what a person posts? Stop reading their posts.

2. Randy Godwin profile image94
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why not ask a good writer and see if it's true?  smile

Johnathan L Groomposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I asked myself already, funny, you're right, it's sort of a redundant question.
        -lovethat smile-
        -johnathan-

working