jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

I just deleted 14 hubs

1. cydro profile image96
    cydroposted 5 years ago

Admit it... you've written hubs on topics outside of your expertise before.  Or, maybe you haven't. 
    Anyways, I haven't been on the site in about a month and 1/2, and the first thing I wanted to do when I came back on is delete all the hubs that I didn't like (or were sub-standard quality).  It made me feel good on the inside.

Two of them had steady traffic (somewhere around 5-10 views a day).  Thoughts?

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 5 years ago in reply to this

did you first try to improve them before deleting?

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

yeah I've written hubs outside of my expertise before, but I think my hubs were better written than the professionals!

Professionals in many topics generally are very poor at writing - that is why they hire writers.

I would have liked to have a professional behind me saying 'this is not right' or that is not right' but in the main when I write outside my experience, I research well first.

Writers would do well to stand by the code of medics - do no harm.

In other words, don't write anything that could be potentially harmful to other people without having the experience yourself (think of the many medical hubs or posts on the web that are frankly dangerous to health).

That asides, I would never unpublish work that is getting traffic, no matter how low.

It takes time to have your work found, despite the fact that some hubs are found quickly, others are slower.

I have a hub I wrote when I was new, hardly ever got any traffic, then one day it just started getting traffic and its been continually successful.

You simply don't know when a hub might take off.

Hubs with no traffic, and yes I have a few of them, can be improved. You know you have hit the correct buttons when it starts to get Google traffic.

I think, with you having been here only 3 months, you have been a bit premature.

Those hubs were also part of your own subdomain's strength, as they provided backlinks to your more successful hubs.

2. Cardisa profile image90
    Cardisaposted 5 years ago

The hubs I am going to delete one by one are my poetry (having them compiled for publishing) and my recipes....you can't really rewrite poems and recipes. I am leaving the articles. I will eventually delete my short stories. I plan to only publish informative articles from now on, they get better traffic anyway.

3. Joe Macho profile image93
    Joe Machoposted 5 years ago

I'd say it would be better to have some traffic than no traffic... but ya never know.

1. Cardisa profile image90
      Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree, but the subdomain switch is making me think twice about low traffic. We have to remember that our accounts now stand on their own just like any other website. The more traffic the better ranking, the more money. For those just writing for the love as I was doing, we might see a fall out from Google. Sites that have informative articles do better than poetry and short stories. Plus I have to think about making money now that I am working on the internet full time from home (I lost my job).

4. iQwest profile image70
    iQwestposted 5 years ago

Personally, I would have been inclined to keep the Hubs.  It's only natural that the more we write the better our Hubs should get.  This progression is never ending.

With that said, I'm NOT passing judgment whatsoever, as you did what you felt was right for you and you admitted that it "made you feel good on the inside".

Based on your own comment, it sounds like you did the right thing to me!