I need help so I am asking here. heh heh

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (34 posts)
  1. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 12 years ago

Im trying to decide whether to get started with HubPages again. As my pals know, I havent been writing since before Panda mostly due to health issues.

I have dozens of bookmarks that I labeled -READ THIS-, but many of them are so old I think they are probably links to obsolete info.

I havent been on-line in so long I dont even know what google+ is.... if that gives you an idea of what my problem is.

So - if I decide to keep going, what should I look at first? I think I have an idea about the changes with Amazon aff. so that will probably be where I start... Ill delete all my Amazon capsules in the old hubs.

I realize this info is already around, but Im pretty overwhelmed so Im hoping for a little direction.

(If you are wondering, yes - I cant type an apostrophe. It drives me crazy too so please forgive LOL. This old G4 Mac has seen some better days)

thanks guys

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back! Don't touch your Amazon capsules, the new system isn't yet in place! And when it is, it will continue to use the old capsules.

You might want to sign up for Hubads? Ihink you'll find it usual place under earnings, and you can also then sign up for Hub Ebay if you didn't already have an eBay account.

wyanjenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yikes! I guess I completely misunderstood what I read about Amazon.

I thought it would generate ads like AdSense does.

I saw the ad program section but I havent read up on it yet... its on my to do list somewhere smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi there stranger smile

oh my gosh hi there!

this is turning into a reunion thread.
        very cool

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy014.gif

2. wyanjen profile image71

BTW im so very jealous of your health care over there...

I lost my insurance when I got sick because the copays & what-not were so high that I couldnt afford to pay the premiums.

No great loss tho since they refused to cover my treatment anyway!
        tongue

3. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So I guess my email and stats were not convincing?  wink

I'm thrilled you're back.  We could always do some reading, but I wouldn't let that keep me from writing.   

I kinda do, but mostly don't. pcunix wrote a hub about it recently.   

No need to be overwhelmed.  I think you could start back writing hubs right away.  There's nothing so major as to negate what you already know about writing hubs.  I think wild and crazy backlinks has fallen out of favor.  News feeds are gone, and RSS feeds may be dubious.  My traffic and earnings have doubled pre-Panda, mostly from HP Ads program, sub-domain switch, and time:  exactly 6 mo after the big dip in Feb, most of us saw return of traffic.

ive been setting up my other mac so I can check my email - so I havent seen what you sent me yet. Sorry and no offense! I just cant get my email from this lap top. Sometimes I go a couple weeks between checking.
        Ill email you in a bit to explain a little more...

I did go and delete most of the rss feeds (mainly from HubMob). Also, most of my hubs are unpublished. What is sub-domain switch?
        It will take me a long time to find all this new stuff, and read it (and understand it).

Im so glad your hubs are performing! Im going back to finish setting up so I can email you... you would be horrified if you could see the shape this house is in! I certainly am. lol

1. rmcrayne profile image90

Ah, I just thought since you were signed in to HP, that you had checked email.  No worries, and don't rush.  I have a peds re-eval that I've been stalling on all day, and it absolutely has to be done before I go to bed tonight.

well I did it - its sent

There are over 350 emails in my in box.... sheesh lol

Well do your work and dont worry about answering right away. I probably wont check back on that puter til wednesday

2. rmcrayne profile image90

Go to your profile page and any of your hubs.  Instead of hubpages.com/profile/rmcrayne, mine now says rmcrayne.hubpages.com.  rmcrayne also now comes at the beginning of hubs. 

This was a/n [successful] effort to separate and protect individual hubbers/accounts from the damage done to our authority by spammers and crap hubs/hubbers.

4. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

YEH!  YOUR BACK HOME!!!!

hee hee

hi there

2. Ms Dee profile image85
    Ms Deeposted 12 years ago

Glad for you that your return suggests you are feeling better than before. Peeking at your last hub, I see that you may not know it has been more recently recommended to include info for each photo; its source, a link to it, creator, etc. There is a HubPages hub about it you may be able to find. They also recommend a little title for each photo (in the photo capsule).

hmm thats a new one to me.

I make many of the graphics myself... maybe Ill make up a pseudonym so Im not crediting myself too much.
      As far as a link- for many of them, the hub is the only place they have been published.

thanks smile

Jen, you can list "name of source" and "caption" on all your graphics/photos, just don't list source URL for more than two.  If you use Flickr creative commons, you can use the URL on all, but might run into a problem if you use multiple photos by the same photographer.  Then you just list credit at the bottom of the hub in a text capsule or something.

that stuff didnt used to be in the capsules, did it?
          I just went to look.

Does that info appear in the hub? that wont be good... i use a banner graphic on lots of the hubs that shouldnt have a caption.

and the hubmob graphics too... should I just delete that stuff???

lol this may be more work than I can handle yet....

Yes new features, (which I like) that you can put the URL for attribution, where I used to create a link capsule at the bottom of hubs.  None of the fields are mandatory.  Not sure exactly what you mean about banners vs captions.  Here is a recent thread about issues with watermarks, using your own graphics etc.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/88537

I don't think you need to go back in and change anything, unless you have some of those (watermarks, etc) issues.

Ive been trying to read up on some of this stiff but its not sticking....

This might be something I have to give up on. Cant even understand the stuff I already know.

I might be getting health insurance next January, maybe I can get back on my feet.
              Just too soon right now I think. smile

thanks for the help tho, everybody <3

3. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 12 years ago

I cant find a link to the learning center. Where did they move it to?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bottom of each page, including this one.

Good to see you back, wyanjen.  As Izzy says, don't delete amazon capsules, although you should be aware that you are now limited to 1 product link per 50 words of text in the hub. Hub, not capsule.

ah ha there it is thanks

I think for the most part my hubs are 1 link per 50 words or less... Im adding this to my to do list smile

4. wordscribe43 profile image89
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

I just wanted to drop in and say welcome back, Jenn!  I, for one have missed you and it's great to see you. I hope you stick around and you're feeling better.  smile

hey there
      great to see you old friend
      big_smile

I hope you & family are doing well!

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

WELCOME BACK Jen! smile big_smile

It's awesome to see you and hear that you are going to be spending more time on HP again.

Yes, there's been many changes. I suggest you re-read the TOS for HubPages considering there's been changes to that too.

If I can help in any way, shoot me an email and I'll do what I can. smile

(((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))) smile

((RAY))

long time no see!

Yeah, i dont think im ready to get back to work but Ill hang around the forums wink

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Missed you, but now I don't have to anymore. smile YAY! smile

2. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi new friend smile smile

Nice to meet you smile

1. lobobrandon profile image89
            lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

Welcome back Jen smile hope you have a Merry Christmas and safe Happy New Year. I'm glad you're feeling better and things are looking up for you. Maybe just 'jot' notes for your 'to do' list then organize after smile one step at a time and you will up-to-date again in no time big_smile

Thats probably the best idea...
      Its hard not to get discouraged but the worst of it is I dont know where to start LOL

I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday. You have always been such a sweetheart smile

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Good to have you back, Jen!

smile thanks
      good to see you too- hope you are well

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)