Is empire avenue a link exchange?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I'm always discovering new sites and recently I stumbled across Empire Avenue.

It's still quite confusing but before I get too involved I'd like to know if it would fall under the heading of a link exchange in the Adsense TOS.

How many people here use it?

2. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I just had a look from the outside of the site, it doesn't explain how your virtual currency actually obtains traffic. It doesn't sound that much of a threat, since if you are just getting your profile displayed higher in their social lists, it isn't directly sending traffic to your sites.

WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can add blogs etc on the site, though. hmm

3. brittanytodd profile image87
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

I just started there.  I asked people to like my jewelry store's facebook page for some shares and i got a bunch of sales out of it.  Melbel has a great hub on what it is and how to use it.

Thanks will take a look.

I do remember that Twiends had to remove their Facebook like buying option because Facebook does not approve of buying likes in any form.

1. brittanytodd profile image87
        brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, since it's fake currency, it's okay and people will not "like" something just because you say you will pay them.  It's really cool how many people actually check out my site from there because they are generally interested.

Hmmm but in that case doesn't it fall under paid traffic? LOL

4. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

I have been on for a couple of weeks it is an interesting stock market game which keeps you on your toes. My name over there is Barrington.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

It kind of sounds like a traffic exchange to me.

6. dipless profile image67
    diplessposted 12 years ago

Just started it, no your not dealing in money so it's not a link exchange, but it seems to be fun and so far the community are nice.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't have to involve money to be a link exchange.  A link exchange is any website where you agree to click on my website if I agree to click on yours.

1. dipless profile image67
        diplessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ok fair point, but i haven't said that anywhere so i'm going to give it a go has been fun thus far.

I wasn't talking about Empire Avenue specifically, just the definition of link exchanges in general.

Do you need a Facebook account to be able to get the most from it?

You can link your Facebook, Foursquare, Twitter, blogs and various other accounts to it...

I noticed that, but I was wondering whether it was essential to get value from the site. 

For instance, I don't have a Facebook account that I'd want to use on the site.  I got the impression you're trading "Likes" - does that mean I miss out on some of the benefits?

Right now I haven't "purchased" any likes. I might in future though, since I have over a dozen Facebook pages - once I feel comfortable with how it works.

However you can link your blog sites using RSS feeds so you can increase traffic, too.

So on the whole, I think it depends what you want to use it for. Sure, you might be missing out on the Facebook angle, but I don't have a Flickr account, so I'm missing out on promoting that.

...wondering if we can link our RSS feeds from Hubpages there?

1. dipless profile image67
                  diplessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

we can indeed link the RSS for HP. I haven't really got into how it all really works yet but it looks fun and the community are pretty nice.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

You have a dozen Facebook pages? How does that work?  do tell!

I mean Facebook fan pages. You can have unlimited (or I'm yet to see a limit) on one profile.

The one I started for the floods is my top liked so far, with over 36,000 people.

7. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Heck, it looks like fun.  I can't see where Google could get upset.. I'll give it a try (PCUNIX) there.

8. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I played with it for a few days..  I don't have the time for it and although the site itself doesn't seem to be promoting anything that could arouse the wrath of Google,some of the people there definitely are.

I'm out..

Thanks for that feedback PC, maybe I won't bother!

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I'd hate for you to miss out on something you might like.  I'm hardly anyone who others should look to for advice on social networking - I detest it right out of the gate!

9. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 12 years ago

It's more of a social networking promoting site. It doesn't help with getting your site more traffic, but if social networking is important to you, it DOES help with that. The site gives you fake currency based on how active you are in social networking, but has little to do with your own sites. Nobody gets any currency for visiting your site or blog, however, you earn currency form people buying your stock.

People buy stock from those who are active on social networking sites. If you are active, your stock will pay out high dividends. The more followers you have on twitter, the higher dividends you pay out to shareholders, so some shareholders will follow you on twitter. This is where people might confuse it with a link exchange, but it's not.

It's just a game, there is nothing you "get." You can put a link to your site on your profile, but this doesn't do anything other than maybe give you a back link. The users don't really give traffic to your sites, it's not about that. It basically boils down to how much you use Twitter.

IT CAN help you on HubPages if you tweet about HubPages, sometimes people there will retweet you, but this does not break AdSense TOS in any way.

It is not a link exchange.

And pcunix is right, there are people who are away self-promotional there. I ignore these people. They're irritating. tongue Just go there to have fun and play a virtual social networking stock game. tongue

10. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I like it.  Like klout it has no intrinsic value--but it helps encourage me to be a more effective social networker and promoter of my products.  It is a sort of 'super klout' with some other elements thrown in.

1. melbel profile image95
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. I've been doing a lot better on Twitter, getting more followers, etc. Not just because of shareholders, but it's kind of helped me improve how I use Twitter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)