The date when a hub is published to be placed on the hub

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I know it seems that I am always starting something new but please forgive me, it's just how my mind works. As a matter of fact I have been holding back some of my ideas.

Anyway. Is it possible to have the date on the hub beside our name under the title? The published date would be fine. I think this would help along our cause when filing a complaint against scrapers and thieves.

What o you think?

1. TheMagician profile image87
      TheMagicianposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that'd be useful. I also think it'd be a nice addition because a lot of people searching for articles like to know the date it was posted. I, and many others, will leave an article to search for another that I'd feel is more "up to date" if I can't find a date posted on the article anywhere.

Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, TheMagician. I also prefer reading more recent articles. So that would allow persons to get a feel of when the article was published. I usually have to go to the comments to get an idea of that.

1. mary615 profile image82
          mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree!  I'd love to know when the Hub was published.  An old Hub will resurface, and I'll wonder if I've read it and maybe commented.  I'll go to it and discover it's old and yes, I have read and commented ages ago.  Let's do this!

2. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

BAD Idea smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, no, no, no, no!

I have Hubs about dancing which are as relevant today as they were three years ago.  I'd hate someone to open the Hub, see it was written in 2009 and think "that's out of date".

I've never had a problem filing a DMCA.  If I did, I could always ask the HubPages team for backup as they have evidence when the Hub was published.  But if you want to show a date, why not put a copyright statement with a date at the end of the hub yourself?

2. rebekahELLE profile image83
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

This has been brought up before in the forums. Some people simply add the date at the top of their text. Some writers don't want the date showing on the article. And it's listed on hub stats and our account page.
    You can also check comments, if there are any, and generally get an idea of when it was published.

I know of a few writers that add their byline and date at the beginning of each hub.

3. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

I do not want the date on any of my hubs!  I try to publish hubs which will stand the test of time.  I do not want a reader to leave my hub for a more "recent" article.

Easy enough to add a date to the hub if wanted?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1  I completely agree - I shoot for evergreen hubs that I hope will bring in traffic for a decade to come.  Far too many readers will simply leave if they see that a hub was written even a year or two ago.

2. Michael Willis profile image69
      Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I also agree. I have hubs that last more than a short time frame. A date posted on them could hurt them.
      It is easy enough for those wanting a date on their hubs to just add it themselves in the hubs.

4. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 12 years ago

Looks like we have a good discussion going on here, and that's good!  It is a good point for those of us who like to write "evergreen" articles.  Maybe that is not a good idea to date the Hub.  I'm rethinking the whole subject.  The author could just put the date on the Hub if they like.

5. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Nope!  I vote no to the idea also.  If I'm seriously interested in a subject I will always check several sources for the most accurate info.  As others have stated here, one can always add the date somewhere in the hub or simply check the stats. 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

6. Cardisa profile image89

Thanks guys, I was considering the plagiarism aspect of it since many of us have had stuff stolen. In one instance my hub was stolen within a couple hours of it being published. It took a while for Google to do something even after I filed the DMCA complaint. I think maybe the site had other complaints against it why my stuff was eventually removed.

However I do understand the evergreen issue with placing the date there.

1. Michael Willis profile image69

I seem to remember a discussion on this once where someone said their is some sort of "digital stamp" when a hub is published. Not sure if it is on the hubpages side or google.  But, it was stated that their is a way to know which article is the original, at time of publication.

Thanks Michael. I think someone is targeting me for even hubs that are not keyword dense or getting any traffic are being stolen. I am up to my neck.

I am tired of filing complaints!

1. Michael Willis profile image69

I went through that a little over a year ago from a person who was stealing from me as well as others on another website. Where the stolen articles were on a ligitimate site, I was able to get the stolen copies taken down quickly. The other one, I outranked that site for a particular hub stolen, so there was nothing else I could do but wait until Google finally unindexed that piece after I filed a complaint through Google.
          It is frustrating!!!

I thought I was the last person scrapers would steal from since most of my hubs are keyword hubs but just general articles. But these scrapers take anything that sounds good.

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I DO NOT want a publish date on Hubs.  Having that info private is better for defending against thieves, and works better for evergreen content.

Relache, I thought the date would actually help but as you point out and some others it wont. I am just frustrated with the scrapers.

8. TheMagician profile image87
    TheMagicianposted 12 years ago

Now that I've read some of the counter arguments, I can see why it'd be best to maybe leave off the dates on the hubs. Hmm.

9. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

If the Hub has comments, that alone would tell you how old it is.  I wouldn't want my Hubs dated.  If they were, some readers would probably move on because they would be turned off by an older, dated Hub.  When you do research, you want current information, and even if you kept your Hubs updated, people would still rely on that date.  I like the idea of editing my Hubs, and that's enough.

10. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Note that Google's algorithm lists the date on articles that have dates on them. I doubt one can fool Google by putting a more recent date on an article and changing nothing else, but it's going to slap that "first published" date on search results if you list it.

Google also favors more recently-published articles over old ones...normally. I wonder if it's smart enough to favor the first publication of duplicate content.

11. Cardisa profile image89

I am glad I posted this suggestion because I really learned a lot today. Thank you all for the feedback and I can now see the reason why it would not be a good idea.

I really appreciate all the comments.

1. rebekahELLE profile image83
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think dates are relevant for certain topics, and Google likes the freshest content with 'news' related articles, but personally I don't think it's beneficial for many of the writers here. Anyone writing evergreen content can easily update with fresh content, rather than posting a date.

Thanks RebekaELLE, really appreciate all of the comments. It helps to clarify things. Just got to trust the system.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)